Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

licence

Options
  • 16-04-2012 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

just filling out fac1 applying for shotgun is it a Firearm Certificate Restricted Firearm Certificate
    Limited Firearm Certificate which one do a tick i plan on shooting game on land that is not my permissions do i hand in all original documents ie permission letters and training certs or photocopies ... anyone know what sort of waiting time in the blanchardstown area and what the garda in charge in the area is like to deal with

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Sean Mullen

its a firearm cert. Send in the original copies because in some areas they can be picky and say they arent real. But keep a copy of all documents you send in for yourself. In my area it takes 3 weeks for the license to come through. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Which shotgun.
    1. Over/Under
    2. Single barrel
    3. Side by side
    4. Semi auto with no more than 3 shots
    5. Semi auto with more the 3 shot capacity
    Numbers 1-4 are unrestricted, full license. Number 5 is a full license, but a restricted shotgun.

When applying hand in all letters of permissions, or club membership details. Give in cert for competency course, training courses, etc that you have completed. IOW leave nothing out so they do not have to return the application for more details.

As for waiting time. In law they have up to 3 months to make a decision. Reality is it can be done in between 3 weeks to 3 months, and possibly longer.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

its a 12 bore o and under ...4.2 - Reason why this Type of Firearm is required.
    This firearm will be used for: (Tick √ appropriate box(es)) (M)
    Hunting Target shooting at Authorised Range Other (Specify, e.g. Clay Pigeon, Vermin Control, etc)
    Please explain, on a Separate Sheet, why this specific type of firearm is required????. what about the last part of this section ????how much detail

You will be hunting so tick the "Hunting" box, and on a seperate piece of paper a line or so to explain. Such as;
    I am applying for this shotgun for the purpose of vermin control, and game hunting on the lands nominated inmy permissionletters that are attached to this application.
    You can word it your own way, but thats all it needs. No long story or novel. Short, and sweet, and more importantly to the point.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

Short and to the point is the only way. Also photocopy all your permissions as you won't be getting them back. Just in case you meet someone like a guard and asks what you are doing etc etc you can show the letter

• Advertisement

what a the gards like to deal with in the dublin area...i have permission for 130 acres is that enough??and the acreage isnt wrote on the permission neither is the phone numbers will i need them

I used to live in Dublin and never had a bother. As for the acreage, it's not really needed, but make sure they are over at least two permissions. Will go down better. If you know the two permisions are 130 acres then you can estimate the amount per permission. So put one down as 60, and the other as 70 acres.

No need but you can write it down it may help if your afraid they might be awkward. Make sure permissions are dated and signed and have contact number. I think you've everything now :)

the permissions are uncles of mine from same area with same surnames nobody shoots on the land so hopefully things work out with the licence.can the referees be a retired garda

Best avoid Gardai whether active or retired. The rules state specifically no Gardai so avoid it.

Best bets are members of gun club, friends with guns, friends without guns, etc. Basically anyone that can attest to your character. A firearms owner would be nice, but not necessary.

• Advertisement

anthonyos wrote: »
    the permissions are uncles of mine from same area with same surnames nobody shoots on the land so hopefully things work out with the licence.can the referees be a retired garda
    Any referee that doesn't have a criminal record be best

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

anyone know what sort of waiting time in the blanchardstown area and what the garda in charge in the area is like to deal with

I'm on my 3rd licence application in this district, the firearms officer (FO) that has been there the last while was a gent to deal with. He is now off on sick leave and the girl taking over seems to be as quick and on the ball, and nice to deal with.

Now to the Super.... the last super was ok'ish he's got promoted, and i'm gonna guess it wasn't to the rapid response unit :D But i'll let you know about the new Super when the 3rd license comes through

i got given the name of the fo is robbie thornton .what is the process like as im a bag of nerves???im going to go down before work some morning when it is nt busy

i got given the name of the fo is robbie thornton .what is the process like as im a bag of nerves???im going to go down before work some morning when it is nt busy

Robbie is the one that's out sick, but if you ring the warrants office there looking after the applications. So far on my pending one it seems to be on track to the Super

what would be the expected waiting time would you think

1st 3 months and 2 weeks
    2nd 4/5 weeks
    3rd is in about 2 weeks now, so i'm not watching the postman yet

Once your permissions/club, secure storage and lack of criminal record is in place, there shouldn't be any hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭ssl

Email/ring and make an appointment to meet the FO. The FO mightn't be there when you drop in. All the emails for garda stations where theres a super are similer, so the one for blanchardstown would be blanchardstown_ds@garda.ie for attn of the firearms officer

It's just a chat an to go over the fca1 to see its filled out correctly. Reason for specifically having that shotgun would be that you intend be shooting birds in the air (therefore an air rifle won't suffice).
    Relax, you'll do grand.

can the garda on the front desk not sign it off

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

can the garda on the front desk not sign it off

You don't need to see the FO, it's just helpful if you have any questions etc. In my case, I just handed it in to the Garda at the desk and they left it for the FO to deal with.

how long did your licence take

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

how long did your licence take

I'm not in Dublin but one took 10 days and another 12, but that's exceptional really, the majority will take longer than that, everything depends on your super.

a mate of mine has 1 permission for 52 acres he just applied for it about 3 weeks ago is one permission of 52 acres enough???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

a mate of mine has 1 permission for 52 acres he just applied for it about 3 weeks ago is one permission of 52 acres enough???

I would not think so. A young lad near me just got his application sent back with a ( we want more land on the permission) he had about 55 acres. They usually look for at least 100 or more

applied for the licence on fri rang the station on sat spoke to the fo she said she will be out on wedseday to inspect the safe ...do they usually come out this quick i was thinking it be at least a month

Depends on how busy they are. If there are not a lot of applications they may visit immediately.

On the bright side could be an indicator of a quick license if everything is in place.

applied for the licence on fri rang the station on sat spoke to the fo she said she will be out on wedseday to inspect the safe ...do they usually come out this quick i was thinking it be at least a month

I could be this quick, and it could have taken longer. You are lucky is it sooner rather than later. At least you know it is being processed.
    It took me 2 weeks to get a licence for a .270 and I have an application in for a .22lr in for over a month and no word yet. Not even sure if the FO has got it.

i dont have a crim record but was in trouble a few times for the years last time was 4 years ago will this have much of an affect on my app

Did you declare any convictions/arrests? Or did you discuss such issues with the FO prior to dropping off the application?

If so then you should be fine, and the application will be processed. Whether successful or not is up to the Super.

One thing i can tell you, from hearing the same from others, is if you withheld any information or lied then you might have a problem. I've said it before, even if you think it might go against you, you are better off disclosing everything. Better they hear it from you than find out for themselves. It'll make it look as though you are trying to hide things.

i dont have a crim record but was in trouble a few times for the years last time was 4 years ago will this have much of an affect on my app

Maybe not, but if convicted of an offence, the sentence must be finished 5 years. not the offence but the sentence. It really depends how bad the trouble was. Don't tell us.

• Advertisement

i answered the section that deals with convictions with all nos which is honest as far as im aware
    Have you ever been the subject of an order issued by a court in a case involving the use, attempted use or threatened use of force against
    another person? (M) in answered no to this what is an order exactly do they mean

Advertisement