Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to charge for childminding summer job?

Options
  • 16-04-2012 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hi, I am a student and I am coming home for the summer. I am looking for a childminding job to try and earn some money and I was just wondering would you knowledgeable people on boards be able to guide me in regards how much should I be getting paid?

I am living in a rural area if this changes things also.

Ideally I would hope to be minding the children at their own house while the parents are at work. For example, for 5 days work, minding and entertaining the children, getting them their lunch and possibly dinner how much should I be expecting to earn? And there is a difference between minding one child and minding three so how do I figure that out? What is the going rate for babysitters? And is it different if I am there on a daily basis for the whole summer?

Sorry for all the questions, I would really appreciate any help with this as I want to get things straight before I start looking for work!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭IMightKnow

When i was 15 (2006), my friend (then 16) had a job minding 3 children for about 4.5-5 hours every day. She entertained them and made them lunch. I did the job for her for 2 weeks while she was on holidays.

The lady paid her 100 euro a week.
    I couldn't believe she was working for 4-4.50 per hour for this job but she was.

I'm just letting you know that this was a situation i experienced, i imagine that it is far from the norm and the babysitters age was a huge factor.....it also may give you an idea what you are up against.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭yellowcrayon

It all depends on whether you have a qualification and experience. If you are qualified and experienced you'll make more money than those that are not.

By law, if you are looking after the children in their own home, the parent becomes your employer and are meant to pay minimum wage; but in my experience, this never happens.

I remember looking after 2 children for only 6e an hour; and this included me cleaning the house and cooking as well.

A general rule I tend to go by is 5e for the first child, 2.50e for the second child and 1.50 for any additional children. So if it's 3 children, id be looking for 9e an hour.

Make sure you and the parents set out clear expectations in the beginning. So if they want you to look after the children and do some cleaning,at least it wont come as a suprise to you if they tell you to do the dishes one day.
    if they want you to do things such as ironing, changing bed sheets, washing clothes, setting fire etc. I would look for more money as this is the role of a nanny/au pair, and not just a childminder.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

This is a hard one..
    If you were doing full time child minding for them they are required to pay you minimum wage and your prsi.
    If you are just helping the mother out in the house for a few hours then it is more acceptable for her like occasional babysitting to give you cash in hand.

Advertisement