Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cattle prices falling in marts?

• 16-04-2012 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Are cattle prices falling in marts all over the country or just in the south east and midlands-- thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

pulling back a wee bit round here, nothing excessive though

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭countygorey

Is it all classes or poorer cattle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

back well in ballymahon on thursday anyway.

Also, weanling bulls well back in tullamore last monday.

Plainer lads dont seem to be as much affected. its the mad prices that are gone more-so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

just talking to a chap who is below i ennis mart today, bad mart apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

I sold 7 heifers last week. Yearlings. Lowest price €625 with the kg. 350kg €975. Highest price €790 with the kg. She was 455kg at €1245:). Great heifer though, and was 16 months old.
    I was well, well pleased with my day out. Ennis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

Lads, it's the weather!
    Poor growth, cold nights, rain...
    When the sun shines, they'll be off again.
    If you've grass and shelter, maybe buy a few:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

PatQfarmer wrote: »
    Lads, it's the weather!
    Poor growth, cold nights, rain...
    When the sun shines, they'll be off again.
    If you've grass and shelter, maybe buy a few:)
    ya the man i was talking to reckoned the same thing, awfal day and no farmers about the place he reckoned

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thetangler

The money could be gone

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

thetangler wrote: »
    The money could be gone
    Ah shur, we never had money in the first place:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

I am just back from Ennis, plainer stock were tough

a neighbour asked me to buy a calf for a suckler that lost her own .. followed 2 bb F to 470 and 480,

eventually got a youngish bb M for 450 , good lengthy calf with a nice top line, not great behind but should come ..though he was value on the day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

PatQfarmer wrote: »
    Ah shur, we never had money in the first place:D

Twas pluck that won the war:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

forward cattle will have to come well back as finishers or anyone the has slaughtered an animal since the turn of the year is losing money hand over fist if they bought the animal. its being 4 months since there was any margin left in finishing. There are lots of sore heads out there at the moment including myself. But what can we do only stay in the circle. As I have stated for the last 6 months this year will have many casualties :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Nothing like a bit of bad weather and a shortage of grass to bring farmers to their senses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

It has nothing to do with the weather most finishers are begining to realise that we have reached a price plateau in the factories with the kill at 7-8000 less than last year a base of much more than 4 euro is hard to achieve and heavy 'U' bulls are are struggling to achieve more than 4.10. Finishers were buying cattle on the premise that they would keep going up. I got as much for cattle in the factory before Christmas than I got a couple of weeks ago and they have not gone up since.
    Finishers had assumed a base of around 4.25 + for this time of year and that 'U' bulls would be above 4.30 they are well back from that. I would imagine that the factories have also pulled back on foward contract prices. Looking at cattle prices for the last 6-8 weeks it bore no relation to factory prices and all that is happening is a market correction.
    Also the price of ration is continuing to rise and this is having an effect a lot of finishers would be finding that millers etc are rising the price of straights and rations in the last few weeks
    I think that a lot of store producers are in for a shock in the fall as the factories will pull back well the forward contracts and winter finishers will be well burnt after this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

It has nothing to do with the weather most finishers are begining to realise that we have reached a price plateau in the factories with the kill at 7-8000 less than last year a base of much more than 4 euro is hard to achieve and heavy 'U' bulls are are struggling to achieve more than 4.10. Finishers were buying cattle on the premise that they would keep going up. I got as much for cattle in the factory before Christmas than I got a couple of weeks ago and they have not gone up since.
    Finishers had assumed a base of around 4.25 + for this time of year and that 'U' bulls would be above 4.30 they are well back from that. I would imagine that the factories have also pulled back on foward contract prices. Looking at cattle prices for the last 6-8 weeks it bore no relation to factory prices and all that is happening is a market correction.
    Also the price of ration is continuing to rise and this is having an effect a lot of finishers would be finding that millers etc are rising the price of straights and rations in the last few weeks
    I think that a lot of store producers are in for a shock in the fall as the factories will pull back well the forward contracts and winter finishers will be well burnt after this year

pretty much as above only my biggest problem finishing this winter was a very very high mortality rate, we were buying with around 4.20 base in mind and anything after that being a bonus. Most guys im meeting are after a tough year with high mortality. The correction is going to have to be rather large

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭limerick farmer

heard the manager of castleisland mart on local radio this evening.he said cattle were back 100 euro a head from the peak,calves were holding quite well and dairy cows and heifers that were making up to 1800 acouple of months ago could now be bought fo r 1300 to 1350!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

Now that the grass is growing again I hear the prices are up again, very few forward stores in the marts at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Have a few yearlings that I'll move on in Aug / Sept - don't have finishing facilities.

Thinking of buying in a few calves now, but not sure if it's a good time to buy in - any advice?
    Maybe I should sell later in the year, and then hold tough and buy in in Dec/Jan with new borns ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

lanod2407 wrote: »
    Have a few yearlings that I'll move on in Aug / Sept - don't have finishing facilities.

Thinking of buying in a few calves now, but not sure if it's a good time to buy in - any advice?
    Maybe I should sell later in the year, and then hold tough and buy in in Dec/Jan with new borns ????

Cannot see young cattle getting any more expensive, if anything there will be a glut of young cattle from 6 month-year and a halves in the autumn so I be slow buying before selling

Advertisement