Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cracked Windscreen = NCT failure?

• 16-04-2012 8:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I've got a crack on my windscreen with the NCT due next week & I'm just wondering if it's an nct fail and needs to be replaced. Looking at their manual I'd say it could pass but I want to be sure.

Image below:

16042012194.jpg

Close up:
    16042012197.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What is a fail and what is a pass regarding the windscreen is listed on page 10 of the NCT manual:

http://www.nct.ie/pdf/nctmanual.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

Fail,I'm afraid.But your insurance may have free windscreen replacement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Even if that where not a fail, I'd get that replaced, it's definitely not safe.
    My life is worth more to me than a windscreen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Even if that where not a fail, I'd get that replaced, it's definitely not safe.
    My life is worth more to me than a windscreen.

What is actually a possible danger from driving with windscreen cracked like that?

PS - I'm not taking a p**s, but I just really don't know and can't think of reasonable argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The diagrams in the manual only appear to refer to the swept area of the wipers. Are cracks outside of that area a fail?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

CiniO wrote: »
    What is actually a possible danger from driving with windscreen cracked like that?

PS - I'm not taking a p**s, but I just really don't know and can't think of reasonable argument.

I know it's laminated, but I just wouldn't trust it. Once glass is cracked it's just so much weaker, just wouldn't feel right. if something hit the screen or there was an accident, I don't think it would offer as much protection.
    Maybe it's just me, but better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

it'll pass

on the offchance that it doesn't, it'll only be a visual inspection next time and no charge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

I've just checked and I have Windscreen cover so I'll just take it into Autoglass on Thursday and have it replaced.

A word of warning I know theres another thread about removing NCB protection but I'd also be careful about cancelling windscreen cover. I paid €39 extra for it, pretty small in relation to the €800 premium and well worth it now.

Advertisement