Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

community welfare officer!!!!

Options
  • 16-04-2012 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

i recently moved into a 2 bedroom apartment on my own
    I am entitled to rent allowance as i have been on social welfare payments the past year now due to no work but my community welfare officer just will not give it to me i have been in to her at least twice and every time i go in she just throws the paper work back at me!..i dont know what to do because without rent allowance i can not stay here and im out on the street..can she do this to me?????????? She has not got a very good reputation around my town and is ignorant as sin..if anyone has any advice it would be very much appreciated! :(

Thanks

Marie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

The fact that you have been on social welfare payments for a year does not, on its own, entitle you to Rent Supplement.

To qualify for Rent Supplement you have to either have been renting privately for at least 6 months having been able to afford the rent when the tenancy started and have since suffered a downturn in circumstances/income OR be approved by the Local Authority as being in need of social housing.

This information and other qualifying criteria, the maximum rent in the different areas of Ireland and the rent amount you will have to pay yourself are all contained in this document http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

The Community Welfare Officer can indeed refuse Rent Supplement to anyone who does not qualify for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 MollDoll21

i was approved by the Local Authority as being in need of social housing. And i had also been living in a different apartment in a different town before i moved into this apartment and was recieving rent allowance thats why i dont get why she wont give it to me

i had been living with friends for a few weeks before i moved to my new apartment because i had to save for the first months rent..which had to be paid up front

Is the rent is above the maximum amount applicable?

the maximum amount applicable is 390 my apartment is 395

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Did the CWO give you the reason why you were being refused? Was it down to the price of the rent?

She just said ur not eligable...and i questioned her and he dismissed me and threw the forms across the desk and said u cant sponge off the government forever..i told her my situation ( that i was looking for work with no luck ) and she said ur odviously not trying hard enough..???? How rude is that! Talking to me like im scum!

You should ask to speak to the Supervisor of the CWO concerned and make a complaint. If that does not resolve the matter, given that
    the Community Welfare Officers are now employed by the Department of Social Protection, you should make a complaint to that Dept.
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW104/Pages/CommentsorComplaints.aspx

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement