Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hydraulic top link

• 16-04-2012 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

where's the best place to buy a hydraulic top link in the midlands? looking for one that estends from 2' to 3' or around that and will be on a JD2650 for use with a power box.
    thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Fermec

Im down South, Bought one today for 125 euro plus Vat. Its a Spurious make. Try Done Deal. or Vapormatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

why would you need a hydralic top link with a power box? just use the hydralics on the box to move the top link closer whin hitching up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

why would you need a hydralic top link with a power box? just use the hydralics on the box to move the top link closer whin hitching up.
    I use one when cleaning up the middle of the farm road to adjust the lip to skim the surface and not dig into the road. Very handy yoke to have to do bits like that. Not brave enough to put it on the fert spreader though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I cant see what you can do with a top link that the powerbox cant do anyways.

If it was an ordinary transport box I'd understand but I'm lost at the moment:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I cant see what you can do with a top link that the powerbox cant do anyways.

If it was an ordinary transport box I'd understand but I'm lost at the moment:confused:
    Ahhhh...got you now. Brain not awake yet so back under my box for me now:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

I'm thinking about getting 1 to use with the mower/topper so that we can easily change the topping height

anyone using 1 on a mower??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Tipp Man wrote: »
    I'm thinking about getting 1 to use with the mower/topper so that we can easily change the topping height

anyone using 1 on a mower??

tried and failed..it was a a heavy mower conditioner though, my toplink wasnt able for the weight of it, it works fine for topper though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

tried and failed..it was a a heavy mower conditioner though, my toplink wasnt able for the weight of it, it works fine for topper though

Am I correct in thinking that you can fit a check valve in the return line, to control the oil flow back to the tractor. Makes the hydraulic top link capable of dealing with the heavy stuff!
    Could be dreaming though:confused:

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Am I correct in thinking that you can fit a check valve in the return line, to control the oil flow back to the tractor. Makes the hydraulic top link capable of dealing with the heavy stuff!
    Could be dreaming though:confused:

ya mine just has the 2 hoses without any valve, i believe the valve ones are better alright

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/460cm-Hydraulic-top-link-quick-attachment-hydraulic-fittings-/150761807637?pt=UK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL&hash=item231a1a9f15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

Quick question on a similar theme. My power box keeps tipping slightly when empty and even more when full. The tractor is a MF 5455 and there is plenty of oil in it. I thought there was a check valve built into the spool valves but I must be wrong. So my question is what can I do about it? Do I need to fit a check valve to the box?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Fermec wrote: »
    Im down South, Bought one today for 125 euro plus Vat. Its a Spurious make. Try Done Deal. or Vapormatic.

125+vat is cheap! I remember pricing one up afew years ago, 250quid or so, so I went down to the local scrap yard, got a ram off an old digger for about 40quid, and got two hoses made up for it (probably another 30quid or so, I can't remember). It handles silage bails no problems, which is our main use for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

towzer2010 wrote: »
    Quick question on a similar theme. My power box keeps tipping slightly when empty and even more when full. The tractor is a MF 5455 and there is plenty of oil in it. I thought there was a check valve built into the spool valves but I must be wrong. So my question is what can I do about it? Do I need to fit a check valve to the box?

You may have by pass (leakage) going on in the spool valves!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

We have a vapormatic one for at least the last 12 years. Its great for the mower (8ft disc) or for the haybob. In recent years, it has proven very handy for the double bale carrier - especially on the New Holland as the lift arms tend to lift straight up as opposed to bringing the implement closer to the wheels of the tractor.

It never drops - even with 2 bales on the back of it.

is it a fleming box by any chance, my one dips a bit as well, not a great ram in them, that said mine is also on a 5455

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Nertballs

Sorry I ment to use our standard box like a power box!
    my bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Timmaay wrote: »
    125+vat is cheap!

Another thing to remember folks is to always compare like with like. Hydraulic toplinks come in all shapes and sizes... different length and diameter rods.

The eye can deceive. Unless you have the two hyd toplinks that you are comparing side by side or you have a calipers and tape with you, you're only guessing.

Central bearings in Athlone or there's a lad in Belmont that sells hyd toplinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭larthehar

no, common misconception. The seals in the ram are probably bad, so oil is allowed from 1 side of the piston to the other, hence the the ram gets longer or shorter (depending which side the pressure is on)! an way to check if this is the case is to plug out the spools when it is on the ground, rise up the lift and see does it still tip by itself..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

is it a fleming box by any chance, my one dips a bit as well, not a great ram in them, that said mine is also on a 5455

No its a 7' cashels box. Its not even a year old yet and hasnt done as much as I'd like to have done with it.
    larthehar wrote: »
    no, common misconception. The seals in the ram are probably bad, so oil is allowed from 1 side of the piston to the other, hence the the ram gets longer or shorter (depending which side the pressure is on)! an way to check if this is the case is to plug out the spools when it is on the ground, rise up the lift and see does it still tip by itself..

Thanks for that larthehar. I'll try that tonight to see if that is the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Thanks for that larthehar. I'll try that tonight to see if that is the problem.

I'd agree. Seals on the piston need a changin' if the ram is dry and she's not leaking from the cap or hoses. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

If/when the ram is stripped down and the seals are found to be damaged, don't forget to look for damage on the inner surface of the barrel.
    New seals won't last long if there's an edge or nick of some sort chewing at them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement