Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Alarm

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

KoolKid wrote: »
    There are a couple of ways this can be done & if you have push email that will also give you instant notification on your smart phone.

I am all ears :D
    How is this setup?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

There are a few ways of doing this. Ill explain to you next time I see you.
    You can also monitor panels with any PC or laptop .

The smart phone may be the better option. Not likely to be carrying a PC or laptop everywhere you go just to monitor the alarm system :D

There are no secrets on boards except for the UPC texting.

I am sure other people would find this information useful if you can explain here ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The UPC texting isn't a secret, we know how it works. Its just not something I would do.
    This isn't a secret either. ECom pro is one method of monitoring the panel.
    Also using any SMTP server you can set the panel to send Emails.

So this is set up in the control panel to send e-mails.
    Where is it set up?

• Advertisement

eCom pro monitors the panel. What are you trying to do.

eCom pro monitors the panel. What are you trying to do.

Just trying to see how this is set up. Is it set up in the control panel?

Get yourself a copy of eCom pro. It's multi site software that monitors the panel(s)

Is this set up in the control panel or are you just using eCom pro to monitor the panel?

The ip settings etc are set up in the panel. You then set up eCom to monitor the panel.

• Advertisement

Any link to the eCom pro?

Not at the minute. I have it on a disc .If I get a chance to upload it onto our server I'll pm you a link to download.

Thank you..

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

The UPC texting isn't a secret, we know how it works. Its just not something I would do.
    Can you texting be set up with a UPC line

What System have you?

Not at the minute. I have it on a disc .If I get a chance to upload it onto our server I'll pm you a link to download.

Did you get a chance to upload?

Not yet, & its too big to email.
    If I get a chance later Ill email you a link. If not Ill bring disc with me & see if I can leave it somewhere for you.

Not yet, & its too big to email.
    If I get a chance later Ill email you a link. If not Ill bring disc with me & see if I can leave it somewhere for you.

Yea do, very interested to see how it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I'm thinking of upgrading to a HKC system,
    I would like to be able to be alerted to alams,or set and unset alarms from a mobile phone/text message if possible, although I use a smartphone I dont usually use data unless Im near a wireless access point. I would like to be able to do the above (alerted to alarms/set/unset) by text mainly but if wireless (I assume it will) has better functionality then also, so i can monitor the alarm if I have wireless access.

Are sensors standard across systems? I'd like to confirm? so that I can continue to use my existing sensors.
    I know one of the sensors is not functional, its in the bathroom, I haven't looked at it but am guessing that moisture has affected it, are there o-ring protected sensors (or simply orings to fit to standard sensors) for areas that get humid?

If your looking for WiFi access as well then the Siemens is the better option. With access from any web browser our text you can check or control your alarm from anywhere.
    If the devices are wired they are global, with the exception of the Astec 2 wire system.
    Wireless Devices are different for different manufacturers.

• Advertisement

Merch wrote: »
    I'm thinking of upgrading to a HKC system,
    I would like to be able to be alerted to alams,or set and unset alarms from a mobile phone/text message if possible, although I use a smartphone I dont usually use data unless Im near a wireless access point. I would like to be able to do the above (alerted to alarms/set/unset) by text mainly but if wireless (I assume it will) has better functionality then also, so i can monitor the alarm if I have wireless access.

Are sensors standard across systems? I'd like to confirm? so that I can continue to use my existing sensors.
    I know one of the sensors is not functional, its in the bathroom, I haven't looked at it but am guessing that moisture has affected it, are there o-ring protected sensors (or simply orings to fit to standard sensors) for areas that get humid?

With the HKC system then a GSM can be added to allow remote access to the panel for setting/unsetting plus to self monitor the alarm. You can also set up the system for a voice call rather than a text. It will also tell you what zone has activated by means of the zone name programmed into the zone audio.
    Sensors in bathrooms are prone to going faulty due to the moisture in the air.
    You could put clear silicone around the sensor to seal the unit.

what are the HKC options (panel names, so i can look them up in detail) and what price would the panels be

what is the name and price of the siemens panel?

I'm thinking of getting the panel replaced and the sensor thats faulty

Here are some PDFS for you to look over.
    The basic Siemens panel is the SPC4220 with IP its 4320
    After that the 5000 & 6000 ranges are simply bigger capacity panels
    The Siemens can do all the text control also , but if its WiFi access you want then either the 4320 or 5320 is the ones to go for. They also have an iPhone app as well SPC anywhere.

Here are some PDFS for you to look over.
    The basic Siemens panel is the SPC4220 with IP its 4320
    After that the 5000 & 6000 ranges are simply bigger capacity panels
    The Siemens can do all the text control also , but if its WiFi access you want then either the 4320 or 5320 is the ones to go for. They also have an iPhone app as well SPC anywhere.

WiFi isn't a must have really, I'd like it, but for the type of person that might try circumvent a system I'd have (domestic) they are likely easier able to interrupt the Internet access than a GSM, but the siemens looks good, looks more modern/upgradeable?
    A panel wouldn't have to have a large capacity, it seems for both makes the GSM is an add on component,

what would the approxiomate cost of a panel of either type (a siemens 4220 or the HKC SW1070?) and the GSM hardware, components only?

and the cost of an install/swap out of existing alarm panel?

The GSM is the most vulnerable.
    Without the IP both panels would be around the same price.
    In my opinion the Siemens is the better panel. Much more options.
    You would get panel upgraded for between €400 and €500.
    GSM around €200-€250 As always, shop around.

I'm trying to think of the probability of someone breaking and entering having those skills and then targetting me specifically, I think most criminals are opportunists, not out on the prowl with laptops? but for them.
    Although I haven't seen any stats, I can see straight off the bat that as I have cable broadband it wouldn't take a genius of a burglar to figure out how to cut off my internet connection, in fact I think they are likely to go for that type of option.
    Both options seem to have their disadvantage, I am thinking that anyone shutting down a gsm device (or however that works) is likely to be targeting a commercial place that will have some more worthwhile stuff to knick??

These are just opinions but I'd be interested to know if Im on or off the mark.

I think you need to do more research on GSM jamming.
    The devices are cheap and small. They can carry them in a pocket leaving them on just in case .With cable broadband what i an seeing is they are breaking in and running for the modem. I am now advising making them less accessible and locking the room the modem is in.

hmm, I see, I will look into it, it looks like I need to.

Grabbing the modem lol (well not really, I suppose wouldn't lol if it was me).
    There is problem for me that i think is quite common(I dont really want to elaborate, but its probably obvious to you what i mean and anyone could think of it if they put their mind to it)
    It was something that was mentioned to me when I used to have a landline, ie re how someone could disable a dialler.
    I dont really like discussing it publicly but I think its something that i need to be aware of, no point in getting a nice system if someone can disable it in a very low tech way.

Having said that i'd prefer get a more modern system, a relative has a HKC system (Id have to confirm which one but its been in a few years) and although they had some initial problems (which I think turned out to be a faulty window shock sensor) it has been trouble free. The menu options and even the key pad look a bit similar to my aritech alarm.

In that regard the siemens looks like the more attractive option.

just had a quick look at jammers, rather negates paying for a GSM device,
    having looked at an old post on the subject here, it seems I would need to upgrade the strength of the box that contains my connections, maybe even putting a contact sensor on it?, plus some of my cable is external and it would be too obvious and a bit unsightly to make it secure externally.
    I dont like cables or wiring tacked internally either so it means I will have to chase something internally to get it to where my modem/router is.

I have heard of people just breaking in the front door and doing some low tech stuff in say, less than a certain time.
    This has probably all been mentioned before but delete if necessary any comments.

Mostly I was looking for a cost effective way to monitor my alarm in most situations, I dont intend to get a landline really or remote monitoring, the cost and benefit dont add up. A lot of it for me is to replace(upgrade)my system/to something that is further upgradeable in itself and have a reasonable modernity to limit rapid obsolescence /capable of allowing me to do other things outside of alarm use, ie remote control via relays?? I'll have to look at the Siemens spec again, Maybe I want/am asking too much at too low a price :)

Re a GSM device being jammed, the alarm would still activate locally? so the only thing with a jammed GSM, wireless or interrupted IP connection is that no one would be contacted (I know its the main purpose).
    Just that im thinking with my type of homephone or even my modem/router, it doesnt work (obviously) if the main power goes down so there is the extra need/cost of providing that backup and running it continuously, so maybe a small UPS where those devices are located.

Rather than relying on an alarm to tell me when an event has occured, I'm begining to wonder is there an app that constantly or regularily communicates with (pings?)an alarm system, so if it detects non communication and that then persists I could be alerted all I'd need then is a data bundle. Maybe alarm companies have thought of this? and either are/are not interested in that kind of thing or are slow to take it up?

• Advertisement

The GSM threat of jamming is pretty much ignored because of lack of publicity & ,strangely enough , a lack of interest by the insurance company's. Once they get stung I can see GSM being removed as a grade 2 option.
    If you want a panel that's upgradeable , again, Siemens is the one in my opinion. All their panels run the same firmware, All additions like digis, keypads, expanders etc. are also easily upgradeable. There is also the ability to back up an entire panel should it need to be defaulted or replaced.
    The app is an interesting option. Siemens have this at present in desktop form using eCom pro. This basically runs in the background on any PC & constantly monitors the panel.

Advertisement