Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC Remote Control

• 16-04-2012 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭

Don't know what I've done or not done.

The missus was trying to record Crazy Heart on Film Four. Whatever happened the info screen got stuck, wouldn't budge. Quickly realised none of the buttons were doing anything. Pressed the UPC button on top, then the red light came on permanently. Pressed everything, then decided to whip the batteries out of the control... Unfortunately now there is no life in the remote at all. UPC button wont even light up.

Tried new batteries...no joy.

Any thoughts. Crazy Heart will be on Film Four+1 in 45 minutes, so a remedy to the problem would be dandy.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

Sounds to me like the set-top box crashed rather than the remote. Unplug the box for a minute or two and try again. Both of my boxes have a button on the front to do a manual record.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Cheers. Unfortunately, it isn't the box itself. That's working grand.

The remote is just non responsive. Any other ideas? Did I do something when I whipped the batteries out? Seems a bit coincidental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

On the question of the UPC remote control

Does anyone else have the problem were you are going up through the channels and all of a sudden the box will go to the number 4 or 5 and return you to channel 100, and then when you press up you end up at 601.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Elmo wrote: »
    On the question of the UPC remote control

Does anyone else have the problem were you are going up through the channels and all of a sudden the box will go to the number 4 or 5 and return you to channel 100, and then when you press up you end up at 601.

My SD box is near unusable. Navigating the channels upwards from 101 slowly, it will go backwards, go to channel 100, the volume will change, it'll freeze then skip three or four in a row. Absolutely hopeless, so I barely use the tv box at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 niceoneyeh

EnterNow wrote: »
    My SD box is near unusable. Navigating the channels upwards from 101 slowly, it will go backwards, go to channel 100, the volume will change, it'll freeze then skip three or four in a row. Absolutely hopeless, so I barely use the tv box at all.

Had exactly the same thing happen to mine.
    Got the "engineer" out twice but he told me that was how it was and there was very little i could do.
    He got the head office to resend my signal and "boost" it somehow and that fixed it.... just about until he got to the end of the road! Literally 5 minutes later it was back to square one.

In the end it got so frustrating that i went back to Sky. Cost me €100 to buy out the contract, best money i ever spent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

niceoneyeh wrote: »
    Had exactly the same thing happen to mine.
    Got the "engineer" out twice but he told me that was how it was and there was very little i could do.
    He got the head office to resend my signal and "boost" it somehow and that fixed it.... just about until he got to the end of the road! Literally 5 minutes later it was back to square one.

In the end it got so frustrating that i went back to Sky. Cost me €100 to buy out the contract, best money i ever spent.

Apparently it's to do with RF interference from large LCD/Plasma tv's. I covered the IR reciever on the box with some light tape, & it did improve things a little. But's it's still nowhere near what I'd call useable.

Not going back to Sky as my other UPC services would go up in price without a TV package, & Sky doesn't appeal to me anyway. I wonder if it happens on the HD boxes too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 niceoneyeh

Apparently it's to do with RF interference from large LCD/Plasma tv's. I covered the IR reciever on the box with some light tape, & it did improve things a little. But's it's still nowhere near what I'd call useable.

Not going back to Sky as my other UPC services would go up in price without a TV package, & Sky doesn't appeal to me anyway. I wonder if it happens on the HD boxes too?

That's handy to know, have a 50" lcd so that rings true, pity the engineer didn't know that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Pity I just have an old widescreen CRT screen!

I heard it was down to if you turn off the box at some stage, so its been off all night and this morning, so I'll see if it has improved the problem with the remote.

I am thinking of going FTA, Saorview and UPC for Broadband and Phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭zg3409

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Don't know what I've done or not done.

The missus was trying to record Crazy Heart on Film Four. Whatever happened the info screen got stuck, wouldn't budge. Quickly realised none of the buttons were doing anything. Pressed the UPC button on top, then the red light came on permanently. Pressed everything, then decided to whip the batteries out of the control... Unfortunately now there is no life in the remote at all. UPC button wont even light up.

Tried new batteries...no joy.

Any thoughts. Crazy Heart will be on Film Four+1 in 45 minutes, so a remedy to the problem would be dandy.

Cheers.

You can test to see if the remote control is working by using a camera phone. Turn on the camera and use the camera to look at the end of the remote. When pressing a button, you should see the light flash using the phone (but not the naked eye) This will confirm if the remote is OK or the set top box. Best to try with a known good remote (for example the TV remote) so you know what to expect.

Sometimes new batteries are bad, battery contacts are corroded etc.

Advertisement