Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom to roll out fibre network in Limerick

Comments

so what does it me for me im on 22mb broadbroad fastesat download is 1.65mb a second

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Fibre networks will be good for Limericks selling point on Infrastructure for Business as most new ventures in Ireland are now technology based.

Was not one of the reasons the call centre was lost to Dundalk because one of their selling point was the Network Fibre offering(amongst other things).

Anyway it's win win for everybody who wants faster Internet but won't need to pay an arm and a leg to get it.

EDIT In the article you expect he is referring to Ballina just out the road but in fact Eircom actually mean Ballina Co Mayo http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/26583-eircom-reveals-locations-fo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

I just hope they can be trusted get it right. I unfortunately am a customer of theirs and to be honest they are a disaster to deal with. But yes it can only be good for limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

I live in the country (well around the Ballyneety area) and I presume that this rollout will only be for the big urban centres, so that Limerick city and suberbs will get it but outside the city wont get it....am I wrong (fingers crossed!)?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

banjobongo wrote: »
    I live in the country (well around the Ballyneety area) and I presume that this rollout will only be for the big urban centres, so that Limerick city and suberbs will get it but outside the city wont get it....am I wrong (fingers crossed!)?

This is usually the case isn't it!

I'm just up the road from you & our phone lines have been down for the last 2 days. I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of the landline altogether

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Fibre networks will be good for Limericks selling point on Infrastructure for Business as most new ventures in Ireland are now technology based.

Was not one of the reasons the call centre was lost to Dundalk because one of their selling point was the Network Fibre offering(amongst other things).

Any business worth it's salt would get fibre independent of the fibre rollout. Afaik, most of the HSE buildings have fibre connections. There's a fibre network in the cities and probably most of the bigger towns, in the mdwest there are fibre networks in the industrial estates like Shannon, Plassey & Raheen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Many businesses would.....were it not for the extortionate price of it.

Xennon wrote: »
    Many businesses would.....were it not for the extortionate price of it.

I've no idea on costs but I'd be fairly sure that the price of a fibre connection in Limerick would be very similar to the price charged in Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

phog wrote: »
    I've no idea on costs but I'd be fairly sure that the price of a fibre connection in Limerick would be very similar to the price charged in Dundalk.
    Trust me, even in these challenged property times, the price of a small house, the pricing is off the wall, the fibre optic ring around Limerick, the MAN, (Metropolitan Area Network) is owned by Limerick City Council, but managed by Limerick based company E|net, Limerick City Council do not use it as it is cost prohibitive, and effectively their is only one carrier out of Limerick ESB Telecoms in Kilonan, in theory there are options, BT, CIE, Aurora, (Bord Gais), and now UPC, Eircoms late arrival we will take with a grain of salt, to put Limericks situation in context, the Paypals of this world would need at least 2 redundant failovers, Dundalk could provide this Limerick could'nt, hopefully in the near future the situation will change, but after ten years of listening to horse$hit I won't be holding my breath.

jbkenn wrote: »
    Trust me, even in these challenged property times, the price of a small house, the pricing is off the wall, the fibre optic ring around Limerick, the MAN, (Metropolitan Area Network) is owned by Limerick City Council, but managed by Limerick based company E|net, Limerick City Council do not use it as it is cost prohibitive, and effectively their is only one carrier out of Limerick ESB Telecoms in Kilonan, in theory there are options, BT, CIE, Aurora, (Bord Gais), and now UPC, Eircoms late arrival we will take with a grain of salt, to put Limericks situation in context, the Paypals of this world would need at least 2 redundant failovers, Dundalk could provide this Limerick could'nt, hopefully in the near future the situation will change, but after ten years of listening to horse$hit I won't be holding my breath.

Eircom have been providing fibre conectivity to businesses for years, no idea of cost but it's certainly available in Limerick and Shannon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

phog wrote: »
    Eircom have been providing fibre conectivity to businesses for years, no idea of cost but it's certainly available in Limerick and Shannon.
    Even more off the wall pricing, sense is now beginning to prevail in Eircom, probably too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

so what does it me for me im on 22mb broadbroad fastesat download is 1.65mb a second

Well if 22MBs brought us this glorious wisdom and insight then I'm guessing once you've the extra headroom afforded by a fibre link it will certainly accelerate your cancer research and ground breaking forays into new and uncharted realms of quantum physics.......

Anyway speaking of 'fibre' whats the chances of Niall Collins turning up for the photo op with a large bowl of bran flakes????

Advertisement