Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drink-Driver endangering others is beaten to death

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭jluv

Motorist wrote: »
    Of course the victim is not without blame or culpability. Unfortunately he will not be able to answer the charges against him as he was brutally killed, and in my opinion unnecessarily killed, by Donohoe. Remeber the fatal blow to the temple was delivered while the victim lay defenceless on the ground.

Also given all the nonsense thought in IBT training to get a learner permit now, there should be a module on dealing with red mist when it comes down on a driver, to learn to objectively recognise the symptoms they are experiencing and what is happening to them, before they become emotionally involved in the situation.
    While I am sympathetic,you can't be serious.Red Mist..!!Drunk driving.Aggressive driving.Threating driving..And an OTT reaction..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

All things considered, about 4-5 years is a fair sentence for this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

jluv wrote: »
    While I am sympathetic,you can't be serious.Red Mist..!!Drunk driving.Aggressive driving.Threating driving..And an OTT reaction..

Red mist - A feeling of extreme competitiveness or anger that temporarily clouds one's judgment. Its just different terminology used to describe road rage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

RichieC wrote: »
    :confused:

I see from your location that you're in Dublin.

I'm gonna guess you are from Dublin originally?

A lot of people in Dublin refer to a hurl/hurling stick, as a hurley/hurley stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Super-Rush wrote: »
    A lot of people in Dublin refer to a hurl/hurling stick, as a hurley/hurley stick.

Sheesh, the correct term is Hurley-Bat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

Also given all the nonsense thought in IBT training to get a learner permit now, there should be a module on dealing with red mist when it comes down on a driver, to learn to objectively recognise the symptoms they are experiencing and what is happening to them, before they become emotionally involved in the situation.

I'd go further and suggest there should be drivers ed as standard in second level schools from the age of 15,not just in how to drive a car but the consequences of bad judgement,like drinking and driving for example! Teach people how to drive but also how to approach their driving responsibly,show them the effects of irresponsible driving,shock the sense of good driving practice into them and maybe then we'll see a reduction in drink related deaths on our roads!

But I suppose as moral thinking,respectable law abiding citizens we're expected to act as such and as intelligent adults make the right choices where driving under the influence of alcohol is a possibility.

as for .... "learn to objectively recognise the symptoms they are experiencing and what is happening to them, before they become emotionally involved in the situation" .... is that from the Zen Buddist School of Motoring? I'd have thought having a drunk driver up your arse flashing lights and preforming aggressive manouvores and acting with aggression towards you in your vehicle would be enough to get you "emotionally involved"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

So you pick up the phone and ring the gaurds not get out and beat them to death with a hurl.

You seem to think I agreed with what Donohoe did. I never said that I did.

Gee Bag wrote: »
    Sheesh, the correct term is Hurley-Bat

Is dat not wha d'players gofor when der sint off? :D

Red mist - A feeling of extreme competitiveness or anger that temporarily clouds one's judgment. Its just different terminology used to describe road rage.
    A feeling of extreme anger that temporarily clouds ones judgement.
    My child in my car while both of us are being threatened by a obnoxious drunk driver. Would cloud my judgement.
    Also I feel the post leads people to believe that the "victim" died on the road side. No it's one of those cases where the impact caused death a few days later. Might not make any difference to you but to me it does.

EarlERizer wrote: »

as for .... "learn to objectively recognise the symptoms they are experiencing and what is happening to them, before they become emotionally involved in the situation" .... is that from the Zen Buddist School of Motoring? I'd have thought having a drunk driver up your arse flashing lights and preforming aggressive manouvores and acting with aggression towards you in your vehicle would be enough to get you "emotionally involved"

Nah, it's just the sensible thing to do and emotionally involved is just a description of completely losing all rational thought in a violent rage.

Donohoe had violent disposition though - if this hadn't happened, I'm sure he could have easily been in another similar type incident. Personally, I've come across far worse on the road (and more dangerous) than someone flashing lights and tail gating - bashing someones head in or assault was never one of the responses I remotely considered.

• Advertisement

Nah, it's just the sensible thing to do and emotionally involved is just a description of completely losing all rational thought in a violent rage.

Donohoe had violent disposition though - if this hadn't happened, I'm sure he could have easily been in another similar type incident. Personally, I've come across far worse on the road than someone flashing lights and performing aggressive manouvers - bashing someones head in or assault was never one of the responses I remotely considered.
    You're definatly close to this.Your not objective.You mention people like you know them.Puts the rest of us at a disadvantage...

jluv wrote: »
    A feeling of extreme anger that temporarily clouds ones judgement.
    My child in my car while both of us are being threatened by a obnoxious drunk driver. Would cloud my judgement.
    Also I feel the post leads people to believe that the "victim" died on the road side. No it's one of those cases where the impact caused death a few days later. Might not make any difference to you but to me it does.

That's a ridiculous point. The victim died as a result of being bashed on the ground several times while he was defenceless including a fatal blow to his temple.

Why does it matter when he died? If he died in the ambulance on the way to the hospital, would that have registered on how serious you consider what happened?

How about the lad who from Carrick on Shannon who was killed in Mullingar in December. He was in a coma for several days and then died from his head injuries. Would it have mattered more if he died instantly?

Mr Bates was a 49 year old man. If he was stupid enough to drink drive, I very much doubt it was the first time he did it. Drink drivers ARE an accident waiting to happen. Unfortunately they don't always just wrap themselves around a tree without messing up other peoples lives. This was an old man making terrible decisions. He was aggressive, stupid and ultimately he HAS ruined Mr Donohoe and his families lives by forcing him to protect his family.

Bates used his car as a weapon and anyone who says they wouldn't be petrified by his actions, especially with their child in the car, is a complete liar. Donohoe hit the car with the hurley first to unblock his path and scare Bates off. If you did that and Bates decides to still get out of the car and come towards you with a bat in your hand, you would definitely fear for your life.

Now, Donohoe hits Bates while he was on the ground. Is it justified? Well, Donohoe has to get back in his car, start the engine? drive around the scene or reverse away so he needs time. Who are we to say that there was a point where he was no longer protecting himself. Hard to judge. lets not forget that Bates did not go to hospital the next day, or police, and presumably got up to drive himself home.

I hope Donohoe gets to walk out of court a free man. I think we may hear more about the criminal record of the deceased once the case is closed. Judging by the quotes in the papers, I just wish it had have happened 30 years ago before he had the chance to spawn and bring more like him into the world.

Mr Bates was a 49 year old man. If he was stupid enough to drink drive, I very much doubt it was the first time he did it. Drink drivers ARE an accident waiting to happen. Unfortunately they don't always just wrap themselves around a tree without messing up other peoples lives. This was an old man making terrible decisions. He was aggressive, stupid and ultimately he HAS ruined Mr Donohoe and his families lives by forcing him to protect his family.

I hope Donohoe gets to walk out of court a free man. I think we may hear more about the criminal record of the deceased once the case is closed. Judging by the quotes in the papers, I just wish it had have happened 30 years ago before he had the chance to spawn and bring more like him into the world.

Donohoe pleaded guilty to the offence of manslaughter, he will be sentenced next week. Your comments about the victim are untrue and beneath contempt.

Donohue has admitted his guilt so there is no case, sentencing will be next week. The criminal record of the victim (should such a record exist) would not be relevant. If the guilty party (Donohue) has previous form this will come out at sentencing.

Your logic seems to be that drink drivers are 'bad' because they could potentially kill someone. Yet actullay beating someone to death with a weapon is 'good'. This is utterly loopy.

Passing comment on the victims children is not called for. You know absolutley nothing about them.

Donohoe had violent disposition though - if this hadn't happened, I'm sure he could have easily been in another similar type incident. Personally, I've come across far worse on the road (and more dangerous) than someone flashing lights and tail gating - bashing someones head in or assault was never one of the responses I remotely considered.

And the sensible thing for Mr Bates to have done would have been not to have taken the car home! the sensible thing for his wife to have done would to have insisted he not drive home in his drunken state! but,as with anger,rage,rational thought,when downing 10 pints of stout sensible thinking is sacrificed!

i'm not denying the man may have had voilent tendancies and may have had previous altercations with others because of them but that's not what he's on trial for here so he can't be convicted on grounds of previous actions and they shouldn't have any place in this case if indeed there are any such incidents!

I'm sure if this hadnt happened he'd have done just what he was intending to do on the night which was drive home with his child! and maybe Mr Bates & his wife would've made it home in one peice and slept off their nights consumption safe in the knowledge that "we made it home,no one died" and probably went on to have several other nights out and drunken drives home.....until maybe one unfortunate night were he has a severe bout of rage whilst pi$$ed at the wheel,veers across the central reserve and ploughs head on into a family travelling the other way!

Personally i've come across worse on the road (and more dangerous) than someone flashing their lights and tailgating me,I (and them) have lived to tell the tale, personally I've never had my kids in the car and encountered an aggressive drunk driver flashing lights,riding my bumper,throwing abuse,continuing their aggressive manner towards me and continuing to drive aggressively causing me to feel threatened for the safety of my kids and myself! until such a time I can't say what kind of response I'd have!

and personally I think Donohoe is guilty of aggrievated assualt resulting in death,by way of provocation.

Like I said earlier,this particular case is a catalogue of tragedy for all involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

The fact that he was drunk changes nothing, I hope the guy who did it rots in prison but he'll probably be out in 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭i8mancs

I hope Donohoe gets to walk out of court a free man. I think we may hear more about the criminal record of the deceased once the case is closed. Judging by the quotes in the papers, I just wish it had have happened 30 years ago before he had the chance to spawn and bring more like him into the world.[/QUOTE]

I would like to personally thank Mr Donohoe and i think he should be given the freedom of the city for what he did. The drunk bastard got what he deserved, had he tried that stunt on me with my kids in the car he would have been finished off on the spot.

and personally I think Donohoe is guilty of aggrievated assualt resulting in death,by way of provocation.

If you cause a death by commiting an aggravated assault it's manslaughter. Thats what Donohue pleaded guilty to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,923 ✭✭✭SeanW

I cant believe the logic here. Because he had a child in the car this was ok? the child was threatened? Sounds like complete scum to me, both of them. A real man would walk away for the safety of his child not put them in more danger.
    If I read it correctly, the 'victims' driving was so bad - and so aggressive - that it looked like a deliberate attempt to start something with the eventual perpetrator. I don't agree with murder, but if I had a small child and were carrying them in a car and driving with manners, and some putz started driving on my bumper, swerving like a fruitcake and (seemingly) trying to ram my car.

You can be dam sure I'd beat the crap out of the idiot for threatening my child.

Murder was too far though.

People who drive slow when they're drunk are bad enough - people like the victim are a different breed altogether, they deserve to get the **** kicked out of them and to lose their license forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Thats one less drunken asshole off the roads that I and my OH drivIng a motor bike don't have to think about.

He probably got more points on his licence than on his leaving cert.

The drunken bully met his match.

Like a burgular he started this chain of events

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

He is no loss and more than likely he would be the type to cause a crash destroying an entire family and walk away without a scratch himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

Win-Win

One less scumbag drink driver on the road.

More than likely one less scumbag who settles arguments with a hurley out driving too (for a certain length of time anyway).

I don't see the bad side.

Interesting how little details fall by the wayside in some reporting.

Just read this http://noahsarkconsulting.blogspot.com/2012/04/road-rage-killer-looked-possessed.html

"Both Mr Bates and Donohoe drove away from the scene before a witness reported the assault to the Garda.
    Mr Bates went to St Vincent’s hospital the following day after becoming unwell, and was transferred to Beaumont Hospital where he fell into a coma and died on September 30th.
    The court previously heard Donohoe, a crane worker from Tyrellstown, west Dublin, wanted to apologise to the Bates family and that the attack happened in a moment of madness."

And there was people thinking the poor man was savagely beaten to death on the side of the road! or beaten so badly he was rushed to hospital and died.

Imagine had he been hit hard enought to knock him unconscious he'd have been rushed to hospital within an hour of the altercation,a scan would have revealed a bleed and maybe they'd have had a chance of treating him in time!

Instead,the poor guy got up,got back into his jeep,drove whilst drunk (for a second time in the space of an hour or so),got home,slept off his alcohol and the following morning went off to hospital not feeling well.

This story couldn't get anymore fooked up!

SeanW wrote: »
    If I read it correctly, the 'victims' driving was so bad - and so aggressive - that it looked like a deliberate attempt to start something with the eventual perpetrator. I don't agree with murder, but if I had a small child and were carrying them in a car and driving with manners, and some putz started driving on my bumper, swerving like a fruitcake and (seemingly) trying to ram my car.

You can be dam sure I'd beat the crap out of the idiot for threatening my child.

Murder was too far though.

People who drive slow when they're drunk are bad enough - people like the victim are a different breed altogether, they deserve to get the **** kicked out of them and to lose their license forever.

No one was murdered in this particular case! A man died of injuries sustained in an altercation 4 days previously,namely a blunt force trauma to the left temple.It was aggreviated assault causing death or at a push manslaughter,but Murder,No!

• Advertisement

No one was murdered in this particular case! A man died of injuries sustained in an altercation 4 days previously,namely a blunt force trauma to the left temple.It was aggreviated assault causing death or at a push manslaughter,but Murder,No!

It was manslaughter. Even the man who was on trial here admitted that.

It was manslaughter. Even the man who was on trial here admitted that.

Thats not murder! .........welcome back btw :) you've probably missed a few posts.

Laisurg wrote: »
    The fact that he was drunk changes nothing, I hope the guy who did it rots in prison but he'll probably be out in 10 years.

The fact he was drunk changes EVERYTHING! thats the whole reason he's were he is,Mr Donohoe is where he is and both families are where they are right now!

If he wasn't drunk he wouldnt have drove or acted in the aggressive intimidating manner in which he did,he wouldnt have gotten involved in an altercation with Mr Donohoe,he & his wife would've went about their business,Mr Donohoe would've went about his and none of this would have happened!

It's called a chain reaction event.

....he'll probably be sentenced to 4 years and be out in 2 with time taken off for good behaviour......but he'll have the unenviable life sentence of knowing what happened that terrible night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Very strange case...

In my eyes both guys are scum...

To drive with 10 pints on ya is complete insanity!

The other fella should have tried to pull over out of your mans way and got straight onto the guards to advice them of hs location.

My brother was driving on the m1 years ago, and some asshole was up his ass in the car, flashing him, swerving from side to side, all to get my brother to drive faster and faster.

My brother pulled into the hard shoulder got onto the guards and when he eventually drove up the m1, there was your man pulled in by the guards. That's justice in my eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Guy thought he was above the law, acted the arsehole with someone with a child in the back and then got confrontational.

Well and good 9 times out of 10 until you push someone too far, my only sympathy is for the guy in court and the dead mans family, too many people doing this where i live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

So should we just kill anyone and everyone who we perceive as a threat to others? In that case a bystander should have murdered Donohoe for beating an unconscious man over the head. Rinse and repeat until your own reactions land you in a position where you're the one seen as a threat.

I must have missed the part in my post where I advocated physical violence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

"He had respect for law and order..."

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

flyswatter wrote: »
    I must have missed the part in my post where I advocated physical violence.

You didn't directly, but your post was in reply to a suggestion that he shouldn't have confronted the guy, and contacted the Gardai instead. Apologies if I misinterpreted you.

Anyway, your man is in the wrong no matter which way you look at it. He beat the guy over the head with a stick while he was already lying unconscious on the ground. He told the Gardai that he hoped the guy died after he was arrested initially, only to have a change of heart when he did die. Maybe he acted because he feared for the safety of his kid, but by doing so he now faces the very real possibility of leaving that kid fatherless for 5+ years. Not very clever, was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

why had he got a hurley stick in the car. sounds like intent

It's Hurley bat. FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

You didn't directly, but your post was in reply to a suggestion that he shouldn't have confronted the guy, and contacted the Gardai instead. Apologies if I misinterpreted you.

Anyway, your man is in the wrong no matter which way you look at it. He beat the guy over the head with a stick while he was already lying unconscious on the ground. He told the Gardai that he hoped the guy died after he was arrested initially, only to have a change of heart when he did die. Maybe he acted because he feared for the safety of his kid, but by doing so he now faces the very real possibility of leaving that kid fatherless for 5+ years. Not very clever, was it?

Yeah I agree he was wrong. My issue originally was letting the guy drive away again when he was very much intoxicated and a danger on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

He doesn't have a recourse, he may get a reduced charge as a crime of passion or manslaughter but what he did was wrong. It would be a great and less frustrating world if i could bate everyone over the head with a hurl that upset me while driving or anything else for that matter.

By now I would have killed more people then Bundy. I think I may have issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Apparently the person who did this had multiple convictions and was on bail at the time, which might indicate a predisposition to violence.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/i-hope-he-fing-dies-he-got-what-he-deserved-3082139.html
    Donohoe, who has four previous convictions including arson and threatening and abusive behaviour, was out on bail on the arson charge at the time of the road rage attack.

I think knowing that the issue becomes slightly less clear. It's not yet been disclosed if the dead man had any convictions for previous behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭stevedublin

What he deserved was fines, jail and his license revoked, not his head caved in.

Is there a thumbs-down button or an anti-thanks button?
    You're not Norwegian by any chance?

**** drink drivers, but also **** that voilent thug who used any excuse to use the hurley he carried around with him for emergency hurley matches!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Det Garda Barry Walsh, Irishtown Garda station, said that when Donohoe was interviewed the day after the assault, he said:
    “I hope he f***ing dies, he got what he deserves.”
    Missed by the OP for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

RVP 11 wrote: »
    **** drink drivers, but also **** that voilent thug who used any excuse to use the hurley he carried around with him for emergency hurley matches!!!
    The article doesn't state if Donohue has any other kids, but I wouldn't bat an eyelid about someone having a hurley in the boot of their car. I have a tonne of **** in the boot of my car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Super-Rush wrote: »
    I see from your location that you're in Dublin.

I'm gonna guess you are from Dublin originally?

Hurley stick is legitimate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

No he didn't deserve a beating or to be killed.

The guy who did it, with a kid in the car, should have got the hell out of the way once he knew he was drunk. And as others have said - on the phone immeadiately - 999 - report the idiot.

Ironic that the wife described how he was, amongst other things, his son's "drinking buddy" and that his brother described how he was a very moral man....i suppose we all make mistakes.

Either the report didn't bother mentioning it (quite possible) or the family ignored the 10 pints and have decided to portray him as some kind of saint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

seamus wrote: »
    I have a tonne of **** in the boot of my car.

take it out, fuel at 1.60 a litre you are wasting a fair bit of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭shancoduff

i8mancs wrote: »
    I would like to personally thank Mr Donohoe and i think he should be given the freedom of the city for what he did. The drunk bastard got what he deserved, had he tried that stunt on me with my kids in the car he would have been finished off on the spot.

Get a grip there, freedom of the city is a bit much, this man is not some flawless vigilante- he is a man who lost his temper and committed aggravated assault which led to a man's death.

As a parent, you're entitled to feel sympathy for his situation, given what happened in the build up, but to start trying to glorify this is pretty pathetic. On top of that, you're talking like you a have a predisposition to do the same thing. It's a good thing most rational individuals give weight to the severity to different crimes and not just think any overreaction is justifiable as long as drink driving is involved. I'd like to know your views on other crimes and how they should be punished, because what you're proposing is pretty extremist in my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

i8mancs wrote: »

Recent snapshot of this poster:

seamus wrote: »
    The article doesn't state if Donohue has any other kids, but I wouldn't bat an eyelid about someone having a hurley in the boot of their car. I have a tonne of **** in the boot of my car.

Well the Gardai do bat eyelids about carrying around something that can be used as a weapon when it suits you to pull it out.
    i have seen hurleys being pulled out by scumbags in cars, when they get into arguments.
    Pussies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

should have pulled over, let him past, made a note of his reg and immediatly rang the gardai. Noone deserves to be beaten to death

• Advertisement

Road vigilantes is what i call them, no way will they back down when someone is acting mental tailgaiting etc even with a helpless child in the back, pullover no way, assault and kill, forget the child sitting in the back.
    Dirtbag.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement