Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drink-Driver endangering others is beaten to death

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Dan133269 wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/court-hears-motorist-looked-possessed-as-he-killed-drinkdriver-in-road-rage-attack-3082059.html

So, what thinks ye? did he get what he deserved? difficult to have much sympathy for this "victim" I think. Here's the funny bit.
    Easy to have sympathy with any victim of a wholly savage attack, after which the killer told the cops he was glad he did it.
    OP is a sociopath perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Morlar wrote: »
    Apparently the person who did this had multiple convictions and was on bail at the time, which might indicate a predisposition to violence.
    Donohoe, who has four previous convictions including arson and threatening and abusive behaviour, was out on bail on the arson charge at the time of the road rage attack.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/i-hope-he-fing-dies-he-got-what-he-deserved-3082139.html

I think knowing that the issue becomes slightly less clear. It's not yet been disclosed if the dead man had any convictions for previous behaviour.

Well there you have it.. There's no possible way that anybody could defend his actions knowing that. I wonder if he was protecting his child when he set fire to somebody's property. Scumbag, pure and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Well there you have it.. There's no possible way that anybody could defend his actions knowing that. I wonder if he was protecting his child when he set fire to somebody's property. Scumbag, pure and simple.

I disagree. I do think it changes things but nowhere near to the extent you seem to think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Is the hurler a psychopath? On tv a few night ago (not about this case) the expert said about 2%-3% of the population are, but about 50% of prisoners. The comment by the hurler about lack of concern for the victim is also an indicator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I really wanted to have sympathy for the Donohoe guy, but after reading the story, I have zero. Hope he gets a decent jail sentence.
    First of all, if he was worried about his 18 month old child, he would have pulled over and let the guy by. Safest thing to do, situation is over before it's started.
    Secondly, what sort of example is he setting to his kids? Someone is tailgating and you behave like this? He's out on bail, has previous convictions for violent behaviour, and is now beaten a man to death in front of his child.
    And someone thinks he deserves freedom of the city? Get a grip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Nobody deserves to be beaten to death no matter what they've done.

*Except Justin Bieber

Not true - many people deserve it (including jb obviously)

They both sound like proper assholes. The guy with the hurley should have thought of his kid and himself and pulled over and let the other asshole go. Hitting someone on the head with a hurley while they lie defenseless on the ground is very scummy and low. Getting pissed and driving like a maniac is low too. I have no sympathy for either of them. The only innocent one in the story is the baby, at least she's ok, fúck the rest of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Witness Emma O'Gorman, who was in a car behind the two men, said she saw Donohoe hitting the front passenger door of Mr Bates's car for two or three minutes before Mr Bates got out with his hands in the air in a non-confrontational manner. She said Donohoe "looked possessed" and immediately hit the victim with the hurley stick.

LINK

Seems like this Donohoe guy is just a ticking time-bomb ready to explode at the slightest provocation.

Gyalist wrote: »
    LINK

Seems like this Donohoe guy is just a ticking time-bomb ready to explode at the slightest provocation.

If he was driving slow slow, why would he cut him up?, unless donhoe sped up when he tried to overtake.?
    That's usually the MO of lawmen in ordinary cars.

Not defending the jeep drivers actions, but seems to me Donohoe was acting like Mad Max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

An 18 month old in the back seat of your car and an utterly langered, aggressive drunk driver, beligerently pursuing you off the road is not a good mix. My sympathies in this one are with the father of the infant, I don't think he belongs in mountjoy to be honest.

You do know he was out on bail for arson at the time?

There is more to this story than meets the eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

mike65 wrote: »
    take it out, fuel at 1.60 a litre you are wasting a fair bit of money.

Your car must take Diesel ya cúnt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I've changed my mind 3 times reading through this thread, as more information was posted... Makes you think twice before believing a newspaper story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Dave! wrote: »
    I've changed my mind 3 times reading through this thread, as more information was posted... Makes you think twice before believing a newspaper story.

Makes you laugh at the people who jumped to the guys defense early and are now too afraid to change their mind.

If the OP have contained the full information people would be screaming to bring back the death sentence.

Gotta love AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

kincsem wrote: »
    Is the hurler a psychopath? On tv a few night ago (not about this case) the expert said about 2%-3% of the population are, but about 50% of prisoners. The comment by the hurler about lack of concern for the victim is also an indicator.

You should read this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Psychopath_Test
    A very informative book. Anders Breivik is showing all the classic signs of it as we speak:

Lack of empathy
    Fake shows of emotion
    Inflated ego
    Lack of remorse
    etc

See the full list here:
    http://www.arkancide.com/psychopathy.htm

Basically (I think), so the theory goes - he's not actually mentally ill. He has a personality disorder. What he is, is actually working fine....but what he is is totally different from "normal" personalities. He is, just bad and wrong.....but probably "sane" as we define it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

This is one of those rare threads where my initial opinion has been changed by reading through it.

Initially I felt sympathy for Donohoe as he found himself in a horrible situation and lacked the self control needed.

The few posts previous to my own are screaming that he was little more than a hot headed thug. The witness account of Donohoe banging on the door of the car for a couple of minutes before the drunk came out with his hands up, is particularly damning. From that, he went on to strike him with the hurl.

He deserves what is coming to him IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

syklops wrote: »
    You do know he was out on bail for arson at the time?

There is more to this story than meets the eye.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78176567&postcount=139

Hwatson wrote: »
    Drink and Drive this is one of the most horrible one but god knows why no one understand this.

I also used to drink but never drive in any such situation. One should remember this that there is no wrong with drink and there is no issues with it at all but if we drive than there is issues which is sometime gonna ends our and others life too.

We all know too well how drinking a driving ruins lives, but this current deabte is more about one mans actions beating to death another man with intent to kill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

You should read this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Psychopath_Test
    A very informative book. Anders Breivik is showing all the classic signs of it as we speak:

Lack of empathy
    Fake shows of emotion
    Inflated ego
    Lack of remorse
    etc

See the full list here:
    http://www.arkancide.com/psychopathy.htm.

Thierry Henry is a psychopath :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

Few naggin's be dead.

Fair enough.

Either way, I still don't think we are hearing everything in this story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I really wanted to have sympathy for the Bates guy, but after reading the story, I have zero. Hope he gets a decent jail sentence.
    First of all, if he was worried about his 18 month old child, he would have pulled over and let the guy by. Safest thing to do, situation is over before it's started.
    Secondly, what sort of example is he setting to his kids? Someone is tailgating and you behave like this? He's out on bail, has previous convictions for violent behaviour, and is now beaten a man to death in front of his child.
    And someone thinks he deserves freedom of the city? Get a grip.

Honestly,parents should really focus on teaching their children to read properly for starters! ;) ....... Mr Bates wont be serving any jail sentence for his crimes,he's DEAD!
    Dave! wrote: »

You should think for yourself,never take the word of printed media as bond or atleast try and gather as much info on the subject before making a decision.There's nothing wrong with changing our minds it's a better trait than been stubborn or pig headed.
    Makes you laugh at the people who jumped to the guys defense early and are now too afraid to change their mind.

If the OP have contained the full information people would be screaming to bring back the death sentence.

Gotta love AH.

The OP will have posted his opinion based on what he read in the link he provided,others were/are right to add to it and give their opinions,but there's nothing to stop any of us seeking more information on the subject to back up or dispute an opinion.

If people here have changed their opinion or changed their minds and can't say so then it makes me laugh wondering what it is they're afraid of?

Wheter it's screaming from the rooftoops or from the screens of their keyboards,we'll always encounter people with a fooked up moral compass!

Thank god for AH.

• Advertisement

RVP 11 wrote: »
    We all know too well how drinking a driving ruins lives, but this current deabte is more about one mans actions beating to death another man with intent to kill.

Seriously,what tabloid do you write for? "Intent to kill" "Beating a man to death" or have you got your threads crossed?

Donohoe didn't put his kid in the car,pack his hurl and head out into the night on some vigilante crusade to rid our roads of drunk drivers.There was no intent to kill! nor did he beat a man to death,he assaulted a man during a high tempered row ,who 5 days later died from a combination of the injuries received in the altercation with the defendant and the elapsed time from time of injury to time of treatment.

The guy is on bail on a charge of arson arising from a family dispute,he has previous for fighting,there's no denying he's not an alter boy,but a cold blooded killer? come on,where's your rational with that?

I'm wondering will more ever be revealed about the character of Mr Bates once this case is closed,We already know he liked a drink,took risks,had aggressive tendancies,was a man with a predatory mind (he liked to go fishing & hunting with his sons.....and was their "drinking buddy"),thought nothing of downing 10 pints and getting behind the wheel of a 4x4 and intimidating other road users.....doesnt say to me "a man of high morals with respect for the law of the land" as was read out in court! He could very well have previous.

What a stupid statement.
    When you hit someone in the head 8 times with a hurley you intend to kill.

I suppose you need brains in the first place to realise hitting the head with a hard object can kill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

EarlERizer wrote: »
    Seriously,what tabloid do you write for? "Intent to kill" "Beating a man to death" or have you got your threads crossed?

Donohoe didn't put his kid in the car,pack his hurl and head out into the night on some vigilante crusade to rid our roads of drunk drivers.There was no intent to kill! nor did he beat a man to death,he assaulted a man during a high tempered row ,who 5 days later died from a combination of the injuries received in the altercation with the defendant and the elapsed time from time of injury to time of treatment.

The guy is on bail on a charge of arson arising from a family dispute,he has previous for fighting,there's no denying he's not an alter boy,but a cold blooded killer? come on,where's your rational with that?

I'm wondering will more ever be revealed about the character of Mr Bates once this case is closed,We already know he liked a drink,took risks,had aggressive tendancies,was a man with a predatory mind (he liked to go fishing & hunting with his sons.....and was their "drinking buddy"),thought nothing of downing 10 pints and getting behind the wheel of a 4x4 and intimidating other road users.....doesnt say to me "a man of high morals with respect for the law of the land" as was read out in court! He could very well have previous.

Bates' character is moot, he's not the one on trial and has already paid the ultimate price for his actions.
    a man with a predatory mind (he liked to go fishing & hunting with his sons

lol.. are you having a laugh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

would have felt sorry for the lad with the hurley if he had hit him once and killed him but he went to town on the bates chap

Bates' character is moot, he's not the one on trial and has already paid the ultimate price for his actions.

Donohoe's previous conduct is also a moot point,he should be convicted on the facts based on the incident with Mr Bates and nothing else,reading the shyte been spouted out here about his psychopathic intent to kill is ridiculous,as is reading the rubbish declaring him some sort of public hero,as is the portrayal of a poor defenceless man been murdered by a demonicly possessed pyscho.

Two people cross paths (or roads in this case),argument ensues,tempers flare,things get out of hand,one man dies,one man ruins his life,two families are destroyed,those are the only facts worth considering with this! Character assassination based on what you read in tabloid media is unfair,none if us know fook all about either men in this case (dispite what you might think you know)
    lol.. are you having a laugh?

FINALLY! OF COURSE I AM .......It's AH ffs :pac:

So murder = 2 lads having an argument?

You're at home in AH :pac:

What a stupid statement.
    When you hit someone in the head 8 times with a hurley you intend to kill.

I suppose you need brains in the first place to realise hitting the head with a hard object can kill.

I won't retort,as having read your previous posts on the subject matter it is clear your an expert in this field! ;)

So murder = 2 lads having an argument?

You're at home in AH :pac:

Has there been a murder? :eek: where? when? who? why? How?

Donohoe's previous conduct is also a moot point,he should be convicted on the facts based on the incident with Mr Bates and nothing else,reading the shyte been spouted out here about his psychopathic intent to kill is ridiculous,as is reading the rubbish declaring him some sort of public hero,as is the portrayal of a poor defenceless man been murdered by a demonicly possessed pyscho.

:

No its not. He was out on bail at the time of the incident. Previous conduct is very relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

He introduced a weapon when the other guy was unarmed, and continued to beat him when was on the ground with same. That puts in at the more serious end of the scale.

syklops wrote: »
    No its not. He was out on bail at the time of the incident. Previous conduct is very relevant.

Considering what he was 'out on bail' for,Had he set fire to Mr Bates and/or his 4x4 I'd be inclined to agree.

Considering what he was 'out on bail' for,Had he set fire to Mr Bates and/or his 4x4 I'd be inclined to agree.

In your train of thought, people often lose the plot over something trivial like taligaiting and smash other people brains in, regardless of past experiences/offences.:pac:, but they never intended to seriously hurt them.

Nodin wrote: »
    He introduced a weapon when the other guy was unarmed, and continued to beat him when was on the ground with same. That puts in at the more serious end of the scale.

The other guy introduced a weapon when he took to the wheel of his 4x4 after ten pints! He proceeded to use that weapon in a threatening manner,so much so that the other guy felt compelled enough to protect himself by any means nessacery.

The man was able to get up and drive home and then go to the hospital the following morning feeling unwell.....hardly beaten to a pulp and left for dead on the side of the road!

When does driving after ten pints become serious? when you kill someone and/or yourself or only if your caught?

In your train of thought, people often lose the plot over something trivial like taligaiting and smash other people brains in, regardless of past experiences/offences.:pac:, but they never intended to seriously hurt them.

Really?

I suppose in your train of thought poor Mr Bates was thirsty that day,was in a rush to get home to use the bathroom and didnt mean to drive like a maniac or cause worry or fear with his driving! He just wanted him to get out of his way,he never intended to drink and drive and was a law abiding moral man!

Really?

I suppose in your train of thought poor Mr Bates was thirsty that day,was in a rush to get home to use the bathroom and didnt mean to drive like a maniac or cause worry or fear with his driving! He just wanted him to get out of his way,he never intended to drink and drive and was a law abiding moral man!

I can't stand drink drivers and he deserved prison for it, not death.
    Especially from some scumbag with a hurley who thinks he's Judge Dredd on the roads.
    But then society are all like that on the roads eh?
    Boots full of weapons with no intent to ever use them?
    or is it just when they see a drink driver dribbling in the rearview mirror and think i better kill this prick before he kills someone else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

I can't stand drink drivers and he deserved prison for it, not death.
    Especially from some scumbag with a hurley who thinks he's Judge Dredd on the roads.
    But then society are all like that on the roads eh?
    Boots full of weapons with no intent to ever use them?
    or is it just when they see a drink driver dribbling in the rearview mirror and think i better kill this prick before he kills someone else?
    Helen Lovejoy has nothing on you lad.

The man was able to get up and drive home and then go to the hospital the following morning feeling unwell.....hardly beaten to a pulp and left for dead on the side of the road!

?
    Hardly! :pac:
    End result the same, but then yer man with his innocent child sat in the back watching his father beat the living **** out of another, wasn't to know that either, he thought he'd just taught another drink driver not to tailgate or drink drive again....oops but then he said he hoped he was dead.
    Intent crept into his mind afterwards eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Christ, nobody's saying the drunken driver was innocent and didn't deserve consequences. But he didn't deserve to die - he had a family ffs.

Hardly! :pac:
    End result the same, but then yer man with his innocent child sat in the back watching his father beat the living **** out of another, wasn't to know that either, he thought he'd just taught another drink driver not to tailgate or drink drive again....oops but then he said he hoped he was dead.
    Intent crept into his mind afterwards eh?

Struggling to make sense of this nonsense but what the hell, it's engaging if nothing else.

I didn't realize he had a catalogue of crusades against drunk drivers? is this only after coming to light now? where are you finding this information,please share the links,people need to be informed! :rolleyes:

Dudess wrote: »
    Christ, nobody's saying the drunken driver was innocent and didn't deserve consequences. But he didn't deserve to die - he had a family ffs.
    He sounds a great family man lashing back ten pints before hopping into his car and driving off about his business.

• Advertisement

Struggling to make sense of this nonsense but what the hell, it's engaging if nothing else.

I didn't realize he had a catalogue of crusades against drunk drivers? is this only after coming to light now? where are you finding this information,please share the links,people need to be informed! :rolleyes:

Well what else did he think he was doing, protecting society from another drink driver?
    You are struggling to make sense of anything at the mo:pac:

Show Time wrote: »
    He sounds a great family man lashing back ten pints before hopping into his car and driving off about his business.

Suppose you would have hockied him out of it aswell then ?

Well what else did he think he was doing, protecting society from another drink driver?

No,just the tripe your posting! :D

Now, get ready for the sound of the penny ......

HE DIDNT THINK ABOUT WHAT HE WAS DOING!!!! he was provoked,he reacted and he lost the plot,and it all got way out of hand,not intentional,not premeditated,not planned,not set out,NOT MURDER!

No,just the tripe your posting! :D

Now, get ready for the sound of the penny ......

HE DIDNT THINK ABOUT WHAT HE WAS DOING!!!! he was provoked,he reacted and he lost the plot,and it all got way out of hand,not intentional,not premeditated,not planned,not set out,NOT MURDER!
    Lol he was just a good old boy trying to get home to see his wife......queue littlest hobo theme song

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Show Time wrote: »
    Dudess wrote: »
    So they'd be better off with him dead? Unless you know the family you've no idea. I see some here claim they would administer a clatter into the temple of a person lying on the ground with a hurley. I don't believe it for a second. An altercation with him, even a bit of a bust-up I'd understand - the guy was a disgrace, but that kind of beating is not a mere knee-jerk reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The other guy introduced a weapon when he took to the wheel of his 4x4 after ten pints! He proceeded to use that weapon in a threatening manner,so much so that the other guy felt compelled enough to protect himself by any means nessacery.

You're taking the piss, I presume.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I can't believe people are actually defending this maniac. Drink driving is stupid alright but I guarantee you it's happening all over the country every night of the week far more than we'd like to admit. Should they all be beaten to death?
    The guy was out on bail, he sounds like a total scumbag and only a f*cking psychopath carries on like this, regardless of whether kids were involved or not. The dead man paid the ultimate price for drink driving but the murderer needs to be put away.

Nodin wrote: »
    You're taking the piss, I presume.

Nodin,I'd have expected you to reach that conclusion sometime sooner,your a seasoned vet of AH.

Suppose you would have hockied him out of it aswell then ?
    There are enough bully boy type drivers on the road(And this fella was not even Irish)so seeing one of them get a good smacking for acting the maggot might make a few of them think twice before acting the big man.

Mod note: banned

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I can't believe people are actually defending this maniac. Drink driving is stupid alright but I guarantee you it's happening all over the country every night of the week far more than we'd like to admit. Should they all be beaten to death?

Well atleast it would be a proactive step to tackling the problem,everything else up to this point doesnt seem to be working!
    The guy was out on bail, he sounds like a total scumbag and only a f*cking psychopath carries on like this, regardless of whether kids were involved or not.

Another voice of reason hits AH!
    The dead man paid the ultimate price for drink driving but the murderer needs to be put away.

Where is this murderer? a few posters have mentioned him now,I hope he's caught soon,murderers certainly do need to be put away! for a very long time!

To be fair,it wasn't just the fact that he was drink driving,like you've mentioned,this country has a terrible problem of drink driving,had he just drunkenly drove home without acting like he did he'd have lived to drink & drive another day (and possibly caused a fatal road accident at a later date,who knows) and we wouldnt be entertaining ourselves with this thread!

What we do know is,he drank excessively before driving,he drove aggressively and engaged in an altercation with another driver,turns out the other driver wasn't a sheep and confronted him,madness ensues, and now in the aftermath there are two families who will live with the outcome of that night for the rest of their lives! A sad and tragic end to a terrible encounter.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement