Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog howling at the TV

• 16-04-2012 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

I was watching Marley & me yesterday with my dog whos a 2 year old male lab. Anyway about 10 mins in when Owen Wilson brings Marley home and leaves him in a box in the garage the pup (Marley) starts whimpering. Up until now my fella is out cold, once the whimpering starts on the TV my fella jumps up and starts howling like a wolf. It was one of the funniest things! So I rewound the TV 4-5 times (and recorded it on my phone) and without fail off he goes at the exact same stage of the film each time! Replayed it again a while ago and the exact same howling!!

So anybody's dog do the same? For Marley & me or for any other film? Anybody know why he does this? Obviously he is reacting to the pup whimpering, is he maternal or something?

Thanks, might try get the recording of him up later.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lizard_Moon

Yep mine loves barking at the dogs/cats any other animal on the TV and looking to me to be thanked for defending the house! Have played Disney dog films for him when he was younger as it entertained him. He likes football too but doesn't bark at that :)

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I heard 2 cats 'singing' a duet one afternoon in a backyard and i went to set up my tape recorder but the sound of the door opening even very quietly stopped them immediately .
    I thought to myself bitterly i'll never get that chance again . A once in a lifetime thing and i'm certain it was not a prank ....no kids at all around . Our best stories are hardest to relate i believe ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I am legend was a film my dog was intensely interested in until the dog was killed, then he lost interest.

Other tv stuff I usually stick on for the dogs are those customs programmes / dog police chase programmes. They love them. Also, the zoo on rte 1 usually keeps them entertained for half an hour. My labrador really hates hippos though.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭_Lady_

Funniest thing I've come across is my fella growling at the cartoon doggie in the Andrex ad when he falls over and drops all the loo rolls~!!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

I had a Dalmation who used to howl like a wolf at full moon whenever he heard the theme tune to Coronation Street or Property Ladder. I think it was a saxaphone thing!
    Anyway, it used to set the other dog off too. My partner and I used to join in and all 4 of us, heads thrown back, would be howling at the tv. I've often wondered what the hell our neighbours thought was going on in our house at 7.30 every weekday night!
    Sadly the Dal is no longer with us but everytime Corrie comes on it reminds me of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

One of my pups was glued to the coverage of Crufts this year. Great watching her!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MissRetro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Generally our dogs ignore dogs on tv, sometimes they react but not always. However there is one ad on at the moment that's just babies laughing and the 2 girls react every time but none of the boys! I personally think its their maternal instinct :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Had a GSD years ago who howled every time she heard the Waltons theme tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Binka wrote: »
    I had a Dalmation who used to howl like a wolf at full moon whenever he heard the theme tune to Coronation Street or Property Ladder. I think it was a saxaphone thing!
    Anyway, it used to set the other dog off too. My partner and I used to join in and all 4 of us, heads thrown back, would be howling at the tv. I've often wondered what the hell our neighbours thought was going on in our house at 7.30 every weekday night!
    Sadly the Dal is no longer with us but everytime Corrie comes on it reminds me of him.

My old westie used to do this. As soon as he heard the Corrie theme the ears would be up and he'd focus on the TV before howling away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

He's at it again, going wild howling and barking at the tv, irelands puppy farms is on tv3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Hooked

ABEasy wrote: »
    He's at it again, going wild howling and barking at the tv, irelands puppy farms is on tv3.

I have a siberian husky that sat through the whole movie '8 below' with myself and herself. (Disney film about 8 huskies left to fend for themselves). He was literally glued to the tv. Can dogs even see what we see?

Last weekend David Attenboroughs frozen planet was on. As soon as the wolves appeared on screen, up popped Hugos head... Turning side to side with intrigue. Very funny.

And if I start howling or woo-ing like a husky... He simply has to outdo me. Howls his head off.

But other than that and the tv... He's pretty much silent unless spoken to. Dogs, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

My dogs love to watch The Dog Whisperer and Animal Rescue shows. My wee girl is fascinated by horses...she watched 'War Horse' from start to finish on my hubbie's knee. Both of them love (well I think they do anyway:o) when I tell them stuff that's happening eg 'oh look at the bold doggy barking' or 'he's eating his dinner now':D..but I can't say 'look at him going for a walk'...'cos of the 'w' word.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

My westie "sings" along when I play my accordion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Mine don't bark at the telly, but T loves nature programmess; especially ones with bears. She freaking loves bears.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

trad wrote: »
    You should enter Britain's Got Talent:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

MissRetro wrote: »

Ha, ha, I put on the YouTube Channel and ended up with a terrier on my knee watching as intently as any kid engrossed in cartoons :D No chance the dogs will get watching their own tv in this house though, too much competition for it already :(

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

trad wrote: »

Singing along or howling for you to stop ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Ann22 wrote: »
    when I tell them stuff that's happening eg 'oh look at the bold doggy barking' or 'he's eating his dinner now':D..but I can't say 'look at him going for a walk'...'cos of the 'w' word.:)

We always ask, "oh, what did he say?" or "did he say a bad word?" when they bark at the tv :p

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

MissRetro wrote: »

Gussie didn't seem to react at all when I put on the previews of that, but my 2 year old niece loved it! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

We used to have a setter who howled every time at the theme tunes of Corrie and Eastenders, but nothing else. Then he'd look around all embarrassed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭sudzs

Binka wrote: »

My dog used to howl at Corrie too! :D

Also during the film The Beach, when ever the theme music was played, (was it All Saints??) he would howl like something that belonged in Yellowstone Park!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

My two normally ignore the telly including barking dogs. However we were watching the Montalbano detective series on BBC and funnily enough they would react to the Italian dogs barking. We are now wondering whether dogs in Italy bark differently :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

My two normally ignore the telly including barking dogs. However we were watching the Montalbano detective series on BBC and funnily enough they would react to the Italian dogs barking. We are now wondering whether dogs in Italy bark differently :o

Of course they do! They bark in Italian, or Sicilian in this case. ;)

Montalbano does nothing at all to my two, but I love it. They get very interested in anything to do with towns in the arctic circle. They love Flying Wild Alaska because there are always packs of sled dogs howling.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Nettekee

Ice cream truck sets my dog off, every evening 6pm as the ice cream van rolls around tinkling its tune she is out on the balcony howling away like a wolf at the moon. I dont know why, I've never gotten ice cream from him and I am surprised the neighbours havent complained, but it is hilarious. :rolleyes:

Advertisement