Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parking on a public road outside your house

Options
  • 16-04-2012 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

just had a fairly traumatic encounter with one of my 'friendly' neighbours that has left me a bit shaken

i live on one of those old dublin redbrick terraced residential roads with parking all along the road but the road is public

im here three years and since i moved in ive had a note stuck in my letterbox saying 'dont park ouside my dore any more!'-no house number or name but i have an idea who it was

then a letter under my wiper saying to'leave a tin opener next time forthe other car to get out (even though they were illegally up on the path and thats why they had difficulty getting out)

and just now an extremely aggressive woman ordered me out of the space outside her house and when i pointed out it was a public road she showed me her teeth and started to edge forward saying to move my f****n car, needless to say i moved as i felt what was next might have been a belt to the head

does anyone else experience this kind of hassle parking in the city? when i first moved here i used to hate when i couldnt park ourside my house and would get pissed off when someone else did but i quickly realised it was a complete waste of energy as its a public road and everyone is in the same boat

but im geting sick now of the craziness coming my way from other people who think its one rule for them and another for everyone else

anyone been in a similar situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭The Fool

Live close to a train station but find wheelie bins great for "minding" a space outside the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭earlyevening

I've been in exactly that situation. Certain people were illegally reserving their own parking spots with traffic cones. They'd go mental if I moved them if there were no spots available.

The thing is that they have no right to reserve their own preferred place if the road is public.

Eventually I contacted the council and we put it to a vote on the street. I expected that we would vote to introduce a single reserved spot for each household - a disc parking system, but unbelievebly almost everyone voted to leave it the way it was, and so the bad feeling continued.

I moved out eventually and let the brother move in (who doesnt drive).

Maybe you could investigate a ballot through the city council?? Contact your city councillors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Yup, my dad used to get a lot of grief from a neighbour. Unfortunately he couldn't park outside our house as there were double yellow lines there, otherwise he would have done that. It actually came to a head when she sent two cops round. My folks were not impressed as they thought someone had been in an accident. Cops were apologetic about it too I remember, seems the old bag spun some yarn about dad being uncooperative, when he genuinely hadn't even spoken to her in months, and of course it was a public road and he wasn't allowed to park at ours. Some other neighbours got wind of the police stunt, and plenty insisted on dad parking near their houses if he was stuck. In fact some elderly ladies liked having a car outside as they figured it made their houses less likely to be burgled. Maybe yourself and other neighbours could have an arrangement like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

thanks for the replies guys...its reassuring to hear similar experiences

i think the main problem seems to be that my hours are totally different to most others...i come home and park at around 9 and dont leave until 2.30 the next day so if i park outside someone elses house (which is most of the time as there is always some or other car outside mine) its there for the first half of the next day

so because i live on the road my car is recognised and i become an easy target for control freaks - the woman that threatened me i think is a heroin addict and at home all day so watching everything that happens on the road

i think the ballot thing is a great idea but i dont think i would get a very warm reception being a outsider and a renter

to be honest i think it might be time to get rid of my car...with the price of petrol and the hassle and stress of parking its hardly worth owning one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭earlyevening

You cant hope to rationalise with a heroin addict.

Dump the car and buy a bicycle.

Maybe see what your landlord says - he might have some useful advice?

• Advertisement

You cant hope to rationalise with a heroin addict.

Dump the car and buy a bicycle.

Maybe see what your landlord says - he might have some useful advice?

i know! to be honest id be surprised if my wing mirrors are still there in the morning, it didnt go down too well when i tried to point out that its a public road after not hopping to her first order!

i have a bike but i work in blackrock and live in inchicore so it'll be double busses if i do get rid of it (im great with my bike on a sunny day in the park but not so much for commuting:rolleyes:)

to be honest i was thinking getting rid of it anyway its just hard when you've been driving for years

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Citygirl1

If you're only renting, you could consider moving if you wanted to hold onto the car. There are loads of apartments, and some houses in the area, which come with an allocated parking space.

What part of Inchicore are you living in?

its the ballyfermot end

im mad about my little house, the rent is fantastic, i have a garden and the whole place to myself...it would be hard to go back into a flat or a apartment now after having the privacy of a house, looked into renting closer to work several times and i just wouldnt get anything close to what i have elsewhere

i dont even mind moving if someone my car asks me and i can find a space way down the road, im just feeling a bit sorry for myself really...its not nice to have to give into a bully, particularly on your own doorstep

thanks for all the replies...will be giving crazy lady a wide berth from now on!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

What's really crap is the crap provision of parking that seems to have taken place in the last few decades. A lot of it seems to have been down to greed to earn money from clamping. This is even from the expense of business. Add more spaces and then businesses can have more customers.

Then it also sucks how our bike lanes suck so bad. There really doesn't seem to be any effort into putting something into place for cyclists where they can really feel both confident and (most importantly) safe.

Then you get into crap situations like this. Where the common man has to get into a bit of argey bargey just to fight for the scraps of what has been tossed down to them.

er ... <end rant>... I guess I've got one to many memories of how crap it was to try and get a parking space like that when I used to live on a street like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Had a neighbour that tried to reserve the space outside his house with a traffic cone so made a point of parking there and put the cone on the roof of my car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

Slightly unrelated matter but something I've noticed on the Clonliffe Rd a lot recently is that the majority of the road is used by people to throw cars up on the kerb but there's one spot opposite Croke Park that has a barely discernible bus stop marked out in road markings. Anyone who parks in any part of it seems to get done by the clampers. Which is outrageous imo seeing as there ****ing bus stop is decommissioned. Scumbag behaviour of the highest order from whatever clamping company is doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

cson wrote: »
    Scumbag behaviour of the highest order from whatever clamping company is doing it.

That would be Dublin City Council :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

stovelid wrote: »
    Had a neighbour that tried to reserve the space outside his house with a traffic cone so made a point of parking there and put the cone on the roof of my car.

LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Flatmate has a Garda sticker on both his front and back windows that he got from his sister who is a a Garda for the same moronic neighbour reason,before he had them he got no end of grief from the neighbours about parking on a public road,hasn't heard a peep from any of them since he's got the stickers up though!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Hearvee

lolo62 wrote: »
    anyone been in a similar situation?

Yup, had something similar a few years ago living in a northside estate. All houses had a driveway for one car, but my landlord used ours. Had to park wherever there was a spot on the road (outside the house if possible, but usually not).

Sometimes parked at the kerb between my next door, and next door +1 neighbours gates, but tried to vary it because I knew this could crop up.
    - Nextdoor complained to me because he "comes home for lunch sometimes and doesn't want the hassle of having to park in the driveway". They only had one car so the driveway was always empty.
    - Nextdoor+1 came out and told me to not park there because "sometimes my daughter visits, she has a baby, she wants to park here, you can't park here." Note the "sometimes", only ever noticed her car once or twice a month!

Ended up early one morning when I went out to move the car into the vacant space in front of our house (the nurse living next door had gone to work) to find Nextdoor and Nextdoor+1 had moved their cars late the previous evening to block me in, leaving both their driveways empty. Funny thing was that I was heading to the airport that morning and didn't come back for four weeks, so they'd forced me to leave the car there!

Moved out about 6 months later (not related), but amazing how petty some people get on this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Some people get so worked up about parking spaces. My sister has just moved from a street where it's public parking and one of the neighbours was insane about it. It was a small little cul de sac laneway that had pay and display and disc parking up one side and the houses were on the other.

This particular neighbour used to park in the middle of the lane when there was no room for her, so if somebody was stuck getting out she would come out of her house and rant and scream at whoever was taking up a space.

I was calling up to my sisters one day and she was parked in the middle of the lane, a car was trying to get out and after giving out to him she turned on me and warned me that she would call the clampers if I dared to go up the lane ahead of her and park there as she had more of a right than I did. She refused to reverse down the lane and move in behind my car in case I went up ahead of her:eek:.

When I told my sister what happened she said that she regularly goes on on the offensive to anybody that parks on the lane that doesn't live there and the guards have been called to her house a few times as she allegedly assaulted somebody that was parking there (legally, after paying):eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Joey21846

Hi there im living in a road in Tipperary all the houses are attached with parking at the rear of the house. There is 3 young people living next door 2 of which drive and they are constantly parking outside my house to the extent I couldnt put out my wheelie bin tonight I had to lift it over the wall and walk around the car to get back into my house. I asked one of the boys the other day could the car be moved a little bit or parked at the back of the property. He said he would ask and since then the owner of the car is parking so tightly to my wall and gate that I had to turn into macho man and lift my bin.if I or my son had fallen ill tonight a doctor or ambulance crew would not be able to get into my property. What can I do anyone ever been in this situation??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Joey21846 wrote: »
    He said he would ask and since then the owner of the car is parking so tightly to my wall and gate that I had to turn into macho man and lift my bin.if I or my son had fallen ill tonight a doctor or ambulance crew would not be able to get into my property. What can I do anyone ever been in this situation??
    I thought the general rule always was that a car could be parked anywhere along the wall, but that the gate/entrance to the house be kept well clear...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This is a pedestrian gate only, right? No vehicular access through the gate?

Is he parking on the footpath? 'Cause otherwise I don't see how he could be parking in a way that stops you walking in and out your own gate.

Parking on the footpath is illegal. Complain to the guards. Take dated photographs. Make sure the photographs show that he is not merely parking on the footpath, but doing so in a way that blocks access to your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Y'know what's even worse than inconsiderate parking? Posting on 5 year old threads. That's what!

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Joey21846 wrote: »
    if I or my son had fallen ill tonight a doctor or ambulance crew would not be able to get into my property. What can I do anyone ever been in this situation??

That's your trump card.
    If they are impeding access by emergency vehicles, the powers that be act fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

endacl wrote: »
    Y'know what's even worse than inconsiderate parking? Posting on 5 year old threads. That's what!

:pac:

About Tipperary no less.

Advertisement