Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of Enthusiasm in the Irish Language Revival

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

ivyQ wrote: »
    please explain what both these terms mean ....

"Archaic Irish" = stage of Irish language writen on Ogham stones in pre-Christian era (Is to modern Irish, what Latin is to Italian)

"Old Irish" = stage of language from 600AD-1000AD, direct ancestor of Modern Irish, Modern Scots Gaidhlig and Manx Gaelg.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Irish_language
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primitive_Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ivyQ

@dubhthach thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Interest in History

[QUOTE=Wibbs;81313241............The Irish monastic movement and scholarship that came with it changed the intellectual and cultural maps of the time. Changed the actual maps too. Cities like Bobbio, Taranto, Liège, Auxerre, Wurzburg, Salzburg, and Vienna and many others came about because of traveling Irish monks.........[/QUOTE]

If you believe this you'd believe anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 TheAP

Trying to practice my journalistic writing and love the Irish language. I wrote this short essay on why I think the Irish language may come to an end in the future (here's hoping it doesn't though). Just some spur of the moment ideas if anyone is interested:www. theambitiouspessimist. wordpress.com /2014/12/30/opinion-the-anchors-of-the-irish-language/ (with no spaces- new user so couldn't post link :))

TheAP wrote: »
    Trying to practice my journalistic writing and love the Irish language. I wrote this short essay on why I think the Irish language may come to an end in the future (here's hoping it doesn't though). Just some spur of the moment ideas if anyone is interested:www. theambitiouspessimist. wordpress.com /2014/12/30/opinion-the-anchors-of-the-irish-language/ (with no spaces- new user so couldn't post link :))

I'll definitely look up that site. Thanks. I don't think the irish language will end, although some of the compulsory attachments & scams may end. But in the course of ninety years they never added anything to the speaking of Irish anyway.

May I suggest another site: sites/google.com./site/failedrevival

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 TheAP

May I suggest another site: sites/google.com./site/failedrevival

Thanks, I must give that book a read. Looks really interesting!

TheAP wrote: »

The enormous past engagement of state actors with the Revival of Irish makes it hard to give due weight to the obvious; namely that the Irish people don't want or need it for communication and that they decided a couple of centuries ago to become English-speaking; which to-day the remain. This was clear to everybody from the start but the political elite believed they could force language chnage on the people. Gradually, the project was defeated by people power. Political ideologues may have lots of money and lots of force at their disposal, but in the end the people can say 'No'. Which they did.

What can survive is Irish as an educational and cultural resource, where all pupils have Irish for the first three years of secondary school and then may choose whether or not to continue with it to the Leaving Cert.

And that may be where the Revival is going - as the state actors tip-toe quietly away ....

Advertisement