Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hook Lighthouse

Options
  • 16-04-2012 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    We will be paying a visit to Wexford soon and we were thinking of going to Hook Lighthouse.

1. Is it suitable for two 4-5 year olds?
    2. If we decided not to get a tour of the lighthouse (could be dangerous for the kids with the steps) would we still have to pay the entrance fees, just to take a walk around the grounds?

Thanks for your help:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭jingler

Hook is amazing- one of my favourite places in Wexford. My little one is in the same age bracket and she loves it too. Loads of space to run around on the grassy area in front of lighthouse with picnic tables if you want to pack a snack. You don't have to pay to go around outside and the walks are brilliant- just hold on to the children's hands. Hope you get a nice day for it and are as bowled over as I always am.
    If you're around for a few days, try to check out the JFK arboretum. You pay a small entrance at the gate but it is so worth it. The playground is brilliant fun and it is a beautiful place to visit- especially in spring. There are picnic areas again, a small cafe, and a little train for children (maybe just check when that starts running....)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Personally speaking, I think it depends -

It can be very windy, very high cliffs, slippy rocks and no safety precautions about the place worth talking about. I go down there with the camera from time to time and even I'm bricking it at times.

If you just go into the grounds around the lighthouse itself and you keep a close eye on them, then it should be no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fatswaldo

Hook Head is my favourite place and I am lucky enough to live nearby. I've always brought my boys there from the time they were little - almost men now!

Nice cafe, good, safe grassy area for picnics and running around. theres a platform for viewing through a telescope. If its windy, stay up on the high ground and look at the spectacular waves crashing onto the rocks. If the sea is calm, venture down a little onto the rocks and find a rock pool - lots of little creatures for kids to find.

You can also walk along the coast line on a grassy path from Slade - about 1 mile - to the lighthouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I got an e-mail today from Grab One offering discounts on admission to Hook Lighthouse. Might be of interest to you

http://www.grabone.ie/south-east/hook-lighthouse-ntre?utm_source=GrabOne+South+East&utm_campaign=ET_2791_ie-main_south-east_20120418&utm_medium=email

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

A pal of mine is running the Cafe now, knowing him I'd say the food is great.

Having not been there myself I can't vouch beyond that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

Hi guys,

Thanks a million for the replies. The grassy area with the picnic tables sound lovely and we will keep an eye out for the telescope and other bits too.
    We will update you on how it goes. Thanks again:)

Advertisement