Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unluckiest couple in Ireland.

• 16-04-2012 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭

Anyone watching Frontline? Guy approved by banks to buy a house. He goes on to explain that he and his partner (both public sector workers) have been trying to buy a house without success. They keep getting gazumpted. He goes on to say "We are the unluckiest couple in Ireland". I really feel sorry for them.:rolleyes:

Dan O'Brien on the panel replied, "your far from the unluckiest couple in Ireland", to which there was an uneasy outburst of laughter.:pac:

It says it all really.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

I'd like to see how unlucky they would feel if they bought in the boom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

First PS world problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

So he has the money to buy a house, but people won't sell there houses to him?

Poor bastard. We should start a collection...everyone throw in their spare houses to help sort this poor couple out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Anyone watching Frontline?

no, it'd rather be kicked in the balls repeatedly for an hour than watch that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

So he and his partner both have public sector jobs and are mortgage approved during a recession with a flooded property market........

...ask him to trade places, i wouldn't mind knowing what it feels like to be that 'unlucky'...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭amacca

IM0 wrote: »

it used to be harder to organise a good ball kicking session than watch an hour of telly during the boom/bubble what with everyone so busy poring concrete, doing nixers and filling out mortgage applications etc

but luckily for you (and now that I know your preference) ill drop over to yours next monday round 10ish with a couple of the lads and a few tins and our old workboots with the steel toecaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

I'm only just back from a ban so I will not repeat what I said about public sector workers but suffice to say that I was so vocal about my distain for them that I received a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I'm only just back from a ban so I will not repeat what I said about public sector workers but suffice to say that I was so vocal about my distain for them that I received a ban.

Ya rebel ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Aren't they great. Two of them complaining about not being able to buy in Lucan, the northside equivalent of Bray. Crazy b*stards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Aren't they great. Two of them complaining about not being able to buy in Lucan, the northside equivalent of Bray. Crazy b*stards.

:confused: whats the other side of the equivilant :confused:

lucan is to the northside as bray is to ________ ??? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Lucan is southside technically. Really westside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

:confused: whats the other side of the equivilant :confused:

lucan is to the northside as bray is to ________ ??? :confused:
    Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Ah Public Sector Workers; The Untermenschen of Ireland.

If only it was still the 1940s, it would be acceptable to mark their clothing so they could be easily identified and singled out by mobs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Theres actually a lot more to it then it seems. If there was such a comment from the panel, it's fúcking stupid. The amount of shíte a mate of mine had to go through recently to buy a house once he got his mortgage approved was nuts. They kept on lowering the amount they were going to loan him as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Theres actually a lot more to it then it seems. If there was such a comment from the panel, it's fúcking stupid. The amount of shíte a mate of mine had to go through recently to buy a house once he got his mortgage approved was nuts. They kept on lowering the amount they were going to loan him as well...

When ever did facts get in the way of an angry mob with torches and pitchforks?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

When ever did facts get in the way of an angry mob with torches and pitchforks?

Never unfortunately.

Dam mobs, once they have their torches lit and the pitchforks ready to prod there's no stopping'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

The divide between the have's and have not's is vast and growing by the day it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Dublin?

Bray is north Wicklow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Yeah, that was a real WTF moment. I was so shocked I nearly watched the rest of the programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

No I didn't see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

biko wrote: »
    No I didn't see it.

Neither did i, guess we didn't miss anything....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

He goes on to say "We are the unluckiest couple in Ireland". I really feel sorry for them.:rolleyes:

Obviously they didnt hear about that pair last year who realised they were half siblings after she was already pregnant. Now that is bad luck :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

They keep getting gazumpted.
    Sounds kinky.
    You mean Shankill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Is that a good or a bad thing? I have no idea what you mean, but lucan is southside:)

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Bray is in South Dublin/North Wicklow

Lucan is in West Dublin

'Lucan, the northside equivalent of Laos, East Germany'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

PM Sent......................

Unluckiest couple my arse. They think they have problems - they should talk to Tsutomu Yamaguchi.
    A resident of Nagasaki, Yamaguchi was in Hiroshima on business for his employer Mitsubishi Heavy Industries when the city was bombed at 8:15 am, on August 6, 1945. The following day, he returned to Nagasaki and, despite his wounds, also returned to work on August 9, the day of the second atomic bombing.

Yup, the guy survived a nuclear bomb, a freakin' nuclear bomb, and returned to work the next day, despite being pretty injured too. And then ended up surviving the second one.

Now that's class.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I didn't see it but to be fair, it probably just rolled off his tongue.. it's just a figure of speech isn't it?

I doubt these people actually believe they're the unluckiest couple in this country.. That is a title which I, and I think many, would reserve for people with sick children or who have lost a child.. not for those with financial problems, however hard that must be for people..

I guess it's a sign of the times that it has gotten peoples backs up so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

xzanti wrote: »
    I didn't see it but to be fair, it probably just rolled off his tongue.. it's just a figure of speech isn't it?

I doubt these people actually believe they're the unluckiest couple in this country.. That is a title which I, and I think many, would reserve for people with sick children or who have lost a child.. not for those with financial problems, however hard that must be for people..

I guess it's a sign of the times that it has gotten peoples backs up so much.

But on After Hours all a public sector worker needs to do is say the wrong phrase for the mob to demand they're strung up by the balls. If this couple had any decency, they'd quit their jobs and save the state some cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 ElGrunt

Anyone watching Frontline? Guy approved by banks to buy a house. He goes on to explain that he and his partner (both public sector workers) have been trying to buy a house without success. They keep getting gazumpted. He goes on to say "We are the unluckiest couple in Ireland". I really feel sorry for them.:rolleyes:

Dan O'Brien on the panel replied, "your far from the unluckiest couple in Ireland", to which there was an uneasy outburst of laughter.:pac:

It says it all really.

I think it was quite obvious that this comment was made in relation to the guys experience in the property market. I dont think he was literally saying he was the unluckiest couple in Ireland. A figure of speech is all it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

I think the poor lad was just a little nervous on the show and did not put much thought into this comment,they most certainly are not the unluckiest couple in Ireland both being overpaid public sector workers and I think they know that.

Advertisement