Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

corolla 1.4 or avensis 1.6

• 16-04-2012 10:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭

my car has officially given up and i have lend of one so i need to get a new one asap im thinking either corolla 1.4 or avensis 1.6 have a budget of 3500 which should hopefully get me a 04 in both mostly do low enough mileage city driving and am drawn to the comfort of an avensis opinions please!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yeah, the avensis is a far superior car with better spec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

my car has officially given up and i have lend of one so i need to get a new one asap im thinking either corolla 1.4 or avensis 1.6 have a budget of 3500 which should hopefully get me a 04 in both mostly do low enough mileage city driving and am drawn to the comfort of an avensis opinions please!
    Ya had both an 04 corolla and currently drive 03 avenues 1.6. Avenues much better car imo corrolla is ok but more space and comfort in the avensis. Not too bad on juice i currently get over 40mpg. Re budget i got a clean example in Sept 10 for e3500 from a main Toyota dealer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭mad_shopaholic

there also seems to be more choice available in the avensis would a 1.6 be alot heavier in petrol than a 1.4 i know the tax is about 19 euro dearer every 3 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

my friend had 05 corolla, 1.4 petrol . very boooooring car. 1.6 avensis shall be more noicer :)

im definitely veering towards the avensis the only thing puttin me off is the high milage they all seem to have on donedeal

• Advertisement

im definitely veering towards the avensis the only thing puttin me off is the high milage they all seem to have on donedeal

you wont believe , have a look in adverts.ie and carzone, i found a lot reasonable priced cars there.

there also seems to be more choice available in the avensis would a 1.6 be alot heavier in petrol than a 1.4 i know the tax is about 19 euro dearer every 3 months

Not a lot heavier if it's around town, the avensis just drinks at high speeds, the short gears make it quite nippy around town too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you could stretch your budget further this might be worth looking at:

Full-10537392.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3125252

• Advertisement

Mar4ix wrote: »

Front wing wrong colour

Also it's 1.8

And not a strata (silly sellers)

It's also a UK imported T3 model. Smallest engine in the UK was 1.8 litre.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Front wing wrong colour

Also it's 1.8

i'm recon thats only sun reflects that way from silver, and it looks different, ... but yes, 1.8 ... didnt look on this, but 1.8 is most effective engine city/outside city drive. rite, roadtax 580 ish, but i think thats worth it. i'm tomorrow might take 1.8 avensis.. bit older, but i am goin particularly 1.8, as it is perfect for everything.

bazz26 wrote: »
    It's also a UK imported T3 model. Smallest engine in the UK was 1.8 litre.

better specs ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

better specs ?

Arm rest for 1.

i'm recon thats only sun reflects that way from silver, and it looks different, ...

nah it's just abad repair, even from the front you can see its miles off

Arm rest for 1.

Mazda6 better then though if you go to 1.8.

For the op the 1.6 would be fine I think

better specs ?

It's basically an Aura model with the Strata model's alloy wheels and front arm rest from the Luna.

BTW that passenger wing looks a different shade to the a pillar, passenger door and front bumper, to me too. The reflection of the sun against the paintwork would not be specific to one panel.

• Advertisement

Looks a bit shoddy and the alloys are missing.

ok ok ... what ya think about that bunch in post 17 ?

ok ok ... what ya think about that bunch in post 17 ?

All 115 of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Looks a bit shoddy and the alloys are missing.

'Lady owner' is a turn off for me as well (sorry ladies:o)!

i think that one - http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Avensis/AURA-4DR/201206206896585/advert?channel=CARS pretty good, small mileage , clean enough , i think will let it go for 3.5 k

Those alloys tell a story :)

When the avensis was launched, you could only get platinum, night sky black or stellar blue. You could only get 1.6 models, Toyota in their infinite wisdom brought in lots of base models and not enough strata models, so the dealers had to fit those manky wheels as above to the aura models and customers had to pay pretty much the same as the strata, some dealer (think it was linders) invented the 'aura plus' model which was aura + manky wheels + fogs + gearknob + vinyl boot badge

People were falling over themselves to buy avensiseses back in the day.

In fairness, having driven a Mk2 Avensis extensively, they were a very good car - the difference between them and the original is night and day. They feel very 'un-Japanese' inside (as long as you avoid the poverty spec Aura and Strata), and I mean that in a good way!

Though the 1.8s are far nicer inside than the poverty spec 1.6s that most people bought, and are a good bit faster as well - the 1.6s wouldn't p1ss into the wind for ya and they make a racket on the motorway plus they drink fuel because of the short gearing!

Typically the English cars always came in a much higher spec and you could get ones with leather, electric seats and so on but that would be way too sophisticated for Paddy so very few Irish cars have anything like that level of kit!

Those alloys tell a story :)

When the avensis was launched, you could only get platinum, night sky black or stellar blue. You could only get 1.6 models, Toyota in their infinite wisdom brought in lots of base models and not enough strata models, so the dealers had to fit those manky wheels as above to the aura models and customers had to pay pretty much the same as the strata, some dealer (think it was linders) invented the 'aura plus' model which was aura + manky wheels + fogs + gearknob + vinyl boot badge

People were falling over themselves to buy avensiseses back in the day.

All the demo models that dealers had at launch were platinum 1.8 Luna models too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

plus they drink fuel because of the short gearing!

I always thought that the Avensis with the 1.6 petrol engine was quite efficient. One poster on the first page claims to get around 40mpg from his. That's not too bad I think!

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    All the demo models that dealers had at launch were platinum 1.8 Luna models too.

Yep. Without vsc, then Toyota kindly made vsc standard and jacked up the price by €1000

166man wrote: »
    I always thought that the Avensis with the 1.6 petrol engine was quite efficient. One poster on the first page claims to get around 40mpg from his. That's not too bad I think!

They're hopeless on the motorway for mpg - trust me:)! The 1.6 is a Paddy special.

They're grand at 80 or 90, even 100 is ok. The 1.8 is more economical on the motorway. They really sound like they could do with a sixth gear at higher speeds, it would probably help with the fuel economy as well. The trip computer is hopelessly optimistic in them as well, if it says you're doing 40 mpg it's really about 36 or thereabouts.

thanks for all the replies definitely have to keep within my budget and to a1.6 ill post some links for opinions when i finish work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭ofcork

I wouldnt worry about high milage as long as servicing has been regular,i have 137k miles on my 04 and still going strong.

Service history is much more important than mileage in my opinion, regardless of the car.

People get all hung up about cars having "high mileage" (over 100,000 miles - which is NOT high mileage when with proper servicing most cars will do 300,000 miles) while simultaneously not giving a flying fiddlers about what kind of maintenance a car has had!

Can i get opinions on this car please
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3258240 my budget is a little less than i thought so what would be a reasonable offer for this car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭ofcork

Maybe offer 3.5k and see.

Advertisement