Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very poor signal

Options
  • 16-04-2012 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

For the past two weeks, the signal has been very weak.
    The icon on the lower right of my laptop should have five bars showing for full signal, but it's been at two bars and at most, four.
    I called Eircom, they asked if I had anything wireless near the modem-I didn't. I have done nothing different;this has just happened.
    It gets worse when I bring the laptop into the kitchen.I'm sick of it now.
    Do I need a new modem? Will that solve the problem?
    I can barely use my laptop because of the bad signal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

I had a problem with my wi-fi o2 hotshot and after days of looking for the thing that was interfering with it I figured out it was the digi-sender from the sky in the sitting room to the tv upstairs. Once I unplug it the wi-fi works perfect. If however you are looking for a new wireless router I have a second hand one in perfect condition for sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭dazzlemoo

Hey, thanks for the reply.
    I don't think it'd be the Sky box-it's been there years and I've only had this problem for the past 2 weeks.
    Nothing new has happened to cause my signal issue-it's really weird, it just decided to get like this.
    I'm going to call Eircom in the morning and find out what to do..I'll get back to you on the router! Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It could be something a neighbor has plugged in too!

Try changing the WiFi channel.

Typically you go to 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 in your browser and long in as : User: Admin PW: Admin.

Find the WiFi menu and adjust the channel or select automatic channel selection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Do you have a wireless alarm or anything that is new that could interfere with the signal ?

Solair wrote: »
    It could be something a neighbor has plugged in too!

Try changing the WiFi channel.

Typically you go to 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 in your browser and long in as : User: Admin PW: Admin.

Find the WiFi menu and adjust the channel or select automatic channel selection.

I did wonder about my neighbours but I dont really get on very well with one of them and wouldn't like to ask.
    I have changed the channel via that website (Netopia) you mentioned and have tried channel 1,2,3, etc all the way up to 12 but it doesn't make a difference.

• Advertisement

dickwod1 wrote: »
    Do you have a wireless alarm or anything that is new that could interfere with the signal ?

No, my alarm is not wireless and I've bought nothing new.
    Like I said, nothing new has been bought and I haven't done anything to the modem.
    The guy from Eircom had mentioned last week that I may need a new modem because apparently mine is "old" now...it's 3 years old?
    Anyway, I'll see what they say tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

dazzlemoo wrote: »
    No, my alarm is not wireless and I've bought nothing new.
    Like I said, nothing new has been bought and I haven't done anything to the modem.
    The guy from Eircom had mentioned last week that I may need a new modem because apparently mine is "old" now...it's 3 years old?
    Anyway, I'll see what they say tomorrow.

Hi dazzlemoo,

Thanks for your post.

Before you change your modem, take a look a some of the suggestions on improving your wireless connection here -

Improve your Wireless

There is some further reading and tips on boosting wireless signal; including changing wireless channels. A piece of 'Wireless Extendors / (WiFi antenna) may also be help.

Best wishes,
    Ant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Just as a suggestion, before you replace the modem, see if you can borrow one that you know works well e.g. from a friend.

You wouldn't even need to connect it to the DSL line, just plug it in and see if you can get a strong connection.

If you want to connect to eircom broadband with the modem, the password and username are generic (it checks your ID based on your line, not the username / pw on the modem). It's the same with Vodafone + others.
    Username: eircom@eircom.net
    Password: broadband1
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

Obviously, make sure your friend knows their own user settings before deleting them! :D Some other broadband carriers, particularly Smart Telecom, actually have individual user names and passwords. So be careful you don't lock your friend out :D

Obviously if it's another modem already configured for eircom broadband, just plug it in and it will work as the settings are all the same.

If the second modem works, you know it's a problem with the modem/router.

While they usually work problem-free for a long time, 3 years is actually quite old for those kinds of devices. They can go a bit whacko sometimes.

Try a hard-reset of the router/modem too (check instructions for that).
    (There's usually a button on the back of the modem that you need to press with a pen)

Solair wrote: »
    Just as a suggestion, before you replace the modem, see if you can borrow one that you know works well e.g. from a friend.

You wouldn't even need to connect it to the DSL line, just plug it in and see if you can get a strong connection.

If you want to connect to eircom broadband with the modem, the password and username are generic (it checks your ID based on your line, not the username / pw on the modem). It's the same with Vodafone + others.
    Username: eircom@eircom.net
    Password: broadband1
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

Obviously, make sure your friend knows their own user settings before deleting them! :D Some other broadband carriers, particularly Smart Telecom, actually have individual user names and passwords. So be careful you don't lock your friend out :D

Obviously if it's another modem already configured for eircom broadband, just plug it in and it will work as the settings are all the same.

If the second modem works, you know it's a problem with the modem/router.

While they usually work problem-free for a long time, 3 years is actually quite old for those kinds of devices. They can go a bit whacko sometimes.

Try a hard-reset of the router/modem too (check instructions for that).
    (There's usually a button on the back of the modem that you need to press with a pen)

Thanks for your reply..I don't have anyone here that I could borrow a modem from, unfortunately, but I have tried resetting the modem.
    I also tried changing the channels but it doesn't help.
    I called Eircom today & they're sending me a new modem for free, so we'll see.
    They said it could be caused by a neighbour having some new equipment or something that's intefering with my signal.
    If the modem doesn't work, I'll need a booster, but they seem confident the modem will do the trick.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Hi dazzlemoo,

Thanks for your post.

Before you change your modem, take a look a some of the suggestions on improving your wireless connection here -

Improve your Wireless

There is some further reading and tips on boosting wireless signal; including changing wireless channels. A piece of 'Wireless Extendors / (WiFi antenna) may also be help.

Best wishes,
    Ant

Hi thanks for your reply.

I have already tried changing the channels plenty of times but it doesn't help. I've gone through troubleshooting prodecures with the Eircom team on three phone calls, but nothing helps.
    They seem to think my neighbours could have gotten some new equipment that's interfering with my signal.

They're sending me a new modem, free of charge-they said mine's old, and that should work.
    If not, I have to get a booster.
    Not sure how much they cost or where I buy one, though.

Anyway, we'll see how I get on with the new modem.
    Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement