Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gazumping

Options
  • 16-04-2012 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭

Anybody watching Frontline?

There was a young couple on who said they've been gazumped 4 times in recent months when bidding on property in Lucan.

Most recently they said the asking price was 239k and it sold for 270 I think.

Its all back on!! Double digit growth and killing each other to secure a property! :rolleyes:

Any other experience out there of gazumping?

(Gazumping occurs when a seller accepts a verbal offer of the asking price from one potential buyer, but then accepts a higher offer from someone else.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I'm not overly surprised at the sellers, most sellers are desperate to get as much for their properties as possible as the likelihood is that they are in negative equity. However it's the purchasers I am surprised at, wasn't there a post on here last week from someone who was tempted to try, but decided not to after reading the replies?

Buying a house is no less stressful these days than it ever was, but I'm surprised that purchasers are still so willing to screw other purchasers over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I think I read somewhere that if you are in negative equity to a bank that you HAVE TO accept the highest offer.
    Maybe I made it up...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I say there,s plenty of houses for sale in lucan,so just buy another house, Its just abit annoying when your transaction is stopped,and you have to start looking again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Anybody watching Frontline?

No I gave up when I saw brendan "fill your shoes" burgess on it.

How the fook Kenny (or RTE not sure which) keeps dragging this fool out as some sort of expert says a lot.
    There was a young couple on who said they've been gazumped 4 times in recent months when bidding on property in Lucan.

Most recently they said the asking price was 239k and it sold for 270 I think.

Its all back on!! Double digit growth and killing each other to secure a property! :rolleyes:

Well what other stories would one expect from a show full of the property loving classes and the ones desperately trying to resurect the bubble :rolleyes:

Sorry to bust your bubble, but there is shag all gazumping, it has been replaced by more than a bit of gazundering.
    Oh and there aint any economic indicators that point to double digit growth. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭earlyevening

jmayo wrote: »
    Sorry to bust your bubble, but there is shag all gazumping, it has been replaced by more than a bit of gazundering.
    Oh and there aint any economic indicators that point to double digit growth. :rolleyes:

I know. I was surprised to hear people reporting that houses were selling way above asking price...thats why I was trying to figure out if this was anybody else's experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Hand picked audience as usual from the vested interest that is RTE. Government has more money (via stamp duty) = maintains Pats wages.

Spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

I've arranged mortgages for 8 properties purchased by clients of mine in Lucan over the past 3 months and every one of them sold for less than the asking price...

I know. I was surprised to hear people reporting that houses were selling way above asking price...thats why I was trying to figure out if this was anybody else's experience.

Sorry just getting peed off with all this sh**e every which way you look about bailouts, debt writeoffs, debt forgiveness, debt something or other for the mortgage holders who are in difficulty. :mad:

This topic is being flogged to death by the media and certain hacks in particular and just like the height of the property bubble mania I always wonder what is the ulterior motive.
    Are these people so concerned about the mortgage defaulters or are they trying to shore up their own property investments by giving a lifeline to the property market ?
    Are some of these people the ones who want to see section grants continue, etc ?

Yes some people are unable to pay off their massive mortgages and they need a way out, but that does not ever mean that they get a bailout/debt writedown and get to keep their property.
    There is a large chink of the population out there suffering under this dillusion.

Last night from what I saw Kenny uttered the line about how some ordinary people reckon they should get a bailout basically because
    a) some banks got a bailout
    b) some developers got a bailout
    c) an insurance company got a bailout, etc

For a start the muppets with this believe are forgetting the bailouts are being paid for yet more ordinary people, and in particular the ordinary people who were conservative and actually did not lead or jump on the credit binge.

Also I wish to fook people would not state that bankers got a bailout.
    BANKS got a bailout, the top bankers got to walk away with their payoffs and pensions, but they did not get a bailout.
    Sorry correction, one did get bailout when his securitising assets were transferred to the loans of his kids.
    Funny the same guy used to play golf and have dinner with the ex leader of this state. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

killers1 wrote: »
    I've arranged mortgages for 8 properties purchased by clients of mine in Lucan over the past 3 months and every one of them sold for less than the asking price...

Hi Killers1

I'm in the market for a 4 bed property in Lucan-without breaching confidentiality - can you tell me wither here or by PM what is the average sale price of 4 beds in Lucan at the moment-I'm particularly interested in St Thomas' parish so Finnstown/Hillcrest/Johnbridge/Old Forge/Westbury.

Many thanks! :)

Lyn

Lyn256 wrote: »
    Hi Killers1

I'm in the market for a 4 bed property in Lucan-without breaching confidentiality - can you tell me wither here or by PM what is the average sale price of 4 beds in Lucan at the moment-I'm particularly interested in St Thomas' parish so Finnstown/Hillcrest/Johnbridge/Old Forge/Westbury.

Many thanks! :)

Lyn

Sent you a PM...

• Advertisement

Not in Lucan, but have been looking at houses for 2 years and everything so far has sold for less than asking and in some cases by up to 70k less than original asking. We are looking at a few areas in south Dublin and I have been tracking absolutely every bit of information I've received.

However, there is still plenty of stupidity. We looked at a house recently, and in one day - two bidders managed to increase bids to the tune of 35k to push the price over the initial asking price. We have walked away from this one and expect that in 2/3 months it will show back up online or we will get an email from the agent asking if we are still interested as has happened before.

All I will say is - every single house we see, the agent is quite positive about the property and expects it to go for asking or higher as is their job to let on. I know most of the agents at this stage from so many viewings and it's almost a running joke that *this* house is going to go for asking.

Just play the game, know your limits and do your own thing.

Venjur wrote: »

Just play the game, know your limits and do your own thing.

+1 to this and take everything the Estate Agent says with a pinch of salt... Set a limit, don't exceed it & walk away...

+1 to this and take everything the Estate Agent says with a pinch of salt... Set a limit, don't exceed it & walk away...

As someone who has bid on 3 houses and walked away 3 times - I can say that we are glad we have done this and no house have we lost have we regretted. We have seen nicer and cheaper houses since and they are still trickling onto the market.

Also - as mentioned in my last post, if you see silly bidding on a house, it's either BS in which case walk away, or you are dealing with people who have more money than sense, and no understanding of negotiating so best walk away unless you have strong reasons not too.

Patience, common sense and nerve = House that matches your needs and is worth the money you pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,621 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I think I read somewhere that if you are in negative equity to a bank that you HAVE TO accept the highest offer.
    Maybe I made it up...
    That's rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,621 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

No I gave up when I saw brendan "fill your shoes" burgess on it.
    Who is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

Who is he?

Guy who runs askaboutmoney.com web forum. Banned everyone from discussing property prices once it became obvious to most informed sources that market was about to tank. Still enforces ban on his site to my knowledge.

Belligerent type of guy, from my readings of his responses on that forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

riclad wrote: »
    I say there,s plenty of houses for sale in lucan,so just buy another house, Its just abit annoying when your transaction is stopped,and you have to start looking again.

Seems a more realistic view point.

The problem with RTE running these VI pieces is that it does the market no favors. Most people buying are limited in what they can borrow to sensible amounts. Most people selling at the moment are selling inherited houses as executors. They see pieces like this which just entrenches their view that their house (often in need of complete refurbishment) is worth way more than it is (i.e what a buyer can afford to pay or borrow).

So the stale mate continues. Houses decline at 2% a month and the slow drip feed of credit continues. Hence we're a few years off bottom still.

Always think of RTE in terms of the people who work there. Hint. They generally support labour and wear woolly jumpers and sandals. ;-)

Who is he?

Ahhhh you dont' knwo the famous BB ?

Here do you want a good laugh nad then wonder why RTE continually have the guy on.
    Sure they might as well wheel out ould Dan McLaughlin while they are at it.

BTWE this was back in autumn 2008 AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

Ahhhh you dont' knwo the famous BB ?

Here do you want a good laugh nad then wonder why RTE continually have the guy on.
    Sure they might as well wheel out ould Dan McLaughlin while they are at it.

BTWE this was back in autumn 2008 AFAIK.

Just to look at him. That face just says "DO NOT TRUST ME".

He has a face like a snake & he is one!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Mellio

Thats sounds more like it!

There is no way they are getting gazumped that much, you only have to look on daft or myhome at the amount of 3/4 bed houses there are for sale and 90% are semi-d so would not make any sense.

Bullsh*t is what I can smell......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

As someone who has bid on 3 houses and walked away 3 times - I can say that we are glad we have done this and no house have we lost have we regretted. We have seen nicer and cheaper houses since and they are still trickling onto the market.

Also - as mentioned in my last post, if you see silly bidding on a house, it's either BS in which case walk away, or you are dealing with people who have more money than sense, and no understanding of negotiating so best walk away unless you have strong reasons not too.

Patience, common sense and nerve = House that matches your needs and is worth the money you pay.

One of the most sensible posts I've seen on this forum for months

brava.

ntlbell wrote: »
    One of the most sensible posts I've seen on this forum for months

brava.

Have to agree an very sensible approach but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

if we were all like that from day one instead of believing these croney estate agents that there are fictiscous other offers in to make you put in a bigger bid the housing market wouldnt be in this mess
    and perhaps, just perhaps the majority of people wouldnt have borrowed so much just buy a scabby 2 bed apartment for 400,000.

No one mentions the estate agent in all of this and most of them were part of a lot of property developments, they were more crooked than the banks for giving out false prices and valuations.

Mellio wrote: »

if we were all like that from day one instead of believing these croney estate agents that there are fictiscous other offers in to make you put in a bigger bid the housing market wouldnt be in this mess
    and perhaps, just perhaps the majority of people wouldnt have borrowed so much just buy a scabby 2 bed apartment for 400,000.

No one mentions the estate agent in all of this and most of them were part of a lot of property developments, they were more crooked than the banks for giving out false prices and valuations.

New property price database will get rid of most of the bad eggs.

When you have common sense and patience there's no need for hindsight.

Plus as advice _today_ for people buying in the future it's exactly what is required.

Estate agents can't make you buy anything, nor can a bank manager or a newspaper.

In all of the mess, _no_ one _forced_ anyone to buy it was grown adults making decisions.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

New property price database will get rid of most of the bad eggs.

That's been talked about for ages. I can't imagine it ever being here at this stage. :(

dory wrote: »
    That's been talked about for ages. I can't imagine it ever being here at this stage. :(

I know but hopefully will be out by end of year as promised.

It will knock the property market right into shape!

ntlbell wrote: »
    When you have common sense and patience there's no need for hindsight.

Plus as advice _today_ for people buying in the future it's exactly what is required.

Estate agents can't make you buy anything, nor can a bank manager or a newspaper.

In all of the mess, _no_ one _forced_ anyone to buy it was grown adults making decisions.

So when I bought my first house at 24 I had loads of common sense and patience and knew exactly when the price of houses was going to fall again,had I waited for the price of houses to come down I would have being paying rent for 13 years now. I think everything you refer to is hindsight as you are talking about things that happened in the past and now obviously more obvious.

Estate Agents didnt make us buy anything but they could and did influence the price of properties for there own gains which over inflated prices as quick.

At the end of the day everyone has a responsibility in all of this from us the purchaser to greedy developers, government and Banks.

believe it or not we are going to pay for the mess the banks have gotten into for lending out such excesses to people. they are still responsible as lenders even though they dont accept any right now, why becuase the goverment will prop them up until they start earning huge sums of interest agin.

Thankfully I bought in 2001 so am not in that a position but there are a lot
    of people worse off.

So when I bought my first house at 24 I had loads of common sense and patience and knew exactly when the price of houses was going to fall again,had I waited for the price of houses to come down I would have being paying rent for 13 years now. I think everything you refer to is hindsight as you are talking about things that happened in the past and now obviously more obvious.

I'm not sure why you're referring to me, all I did in this thread is a agree with a poster. maybe you're confusing me with someone else?
    Estate Agents didnt make us buy anything but they could and did influence the price of properties for there own gains which over inflated prices as quick.

Right, but how does that make you buy? No one ever makes you buy. You decide to buy on whatever circumstances you have before you. If one of the circumstances is the average house price is 10 X the avg ind wage, well you don't need to be a rocket science to work out something is not right...right?
    At the end of the day everyone has a responsibility in all of this from us the purchaser to greedy developers, government and Banks.

Right, but none of them made you or I or anyone else buy anything
    believe it or not we are going to pay for the mess the banks have gotten into for lending out such excesses to people. they are still responsible as lenders even though they dont accept any right now, why becuase the goverment will prop them up until they start earning huge sums of interest agin.

We're paying all ready.
    Thankfully I bought in 2001 so am not in that a position but there are a lot
    of people worse off.

There's always someone worse off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Harrr

We were gazumped in December - got the housE through sealed bid in the end - but for a lot more than our original offer and the asking price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Harrr wrote: »
    We were gazumped in December - got the housE through sealed bid in the end - but for a lot more than our original offer and the asking price.
    That doesn't sound like you were gazumped. That sounds like you engaged in a series of bids for a property that was for sale and eventually made the highest bid thereby securing the sale.

Amirite?

Advertisement