Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gazumping

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Mellio

ntlbell wrote: »
    I'm not sure why you're referring to me, all I did in this thread is a agree with a poster. maybe you're confusing me with someone else?

Right, but how does that make you buy? No one ever makes you buy. You decide to buy on whatever circumstances you have before you. If one of the circumstances is the average house price is 10 X the avg ind wage, well you don't need to be a rocket science to work out something is not right...right?

Right, but none of them made you or I or anyone else buy anything

We're paying all ready.

There's always someone worse off.

Your original comment responded to me in an early post thats why Im referring to you.

Im not on here to get in a slanging match anyway but your generalised approach to being logical basing your idea on ten times the average wage being the cost of a house does not make any sense.

There are far more other circumstances as to why people bought not just becuase they were too stupid to realise it wasnt financially sound.

Some people could afford there mortgages and a lot still can but people have lost jobs, had kids e.t.c.

Completely going off topic anyway so I will say no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Mellio wrote: »
    Your original comment responded to me in an early post thats why Im referring to you.

Yes but nothing I said was based on hindsight.
    Im not on here to get in a slanging match anyway but your generalised approach to being logical basing your idea on ten times the average wage being the cost of a house does not make any sense.

I was just giving an example. if the cost of a house is 10 x's your salary. you cannot afford it. it's that simple. if a mortgae is 10 times your salary something is "broken" which should make you do some more research. no ?

There are far more other circumstances as to why people bought not just because they were too stupid to realise it wasnt financially sound.

Of course, there was also people who put more research into their summer holiday than they did buying a home. It's not about being too stupid. In most cases it was just pure lazyness and ignorance. but obviously, not in _all_

Some people could afford there mortgages and a lot still can but people have lost jobs, had kids e.t.c.

Completely going off topic anyway so I will say no more.

Which is why you shouldn't for example base the repayments of two wages.

for example you will potentially have kids and may lose one. One might lose their job. etc etc etc so their is lots of things you can take into account

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

There is no fool proof way to buy a house, lots of people think they know when is the right time to buy or to sell etc. and for every person who does you'll find an equal number to argue against this, just turn on the radio and listen to the so called experts. Everyone just has an opinion, nothing more nothing less - some maybe be better informed but they are not necessarily correct.

I admire people who are cool enough to walk away from a property when it becomes too expensive but we have these things got feelings that sometimes gets in the way. Being prepared is crucial but as much as you can think about what might happen you have to way up risks and think more about what is likely - some people are better at this than others. Also its sometimes hard to get the right information - when do you ever get a straight answer in Ireland.

5 years ago we all had more disposable income - there were more opportunities - we could change jobs, we could move if necessary -
    all this has changed and people are trapped, you could think what would happen if I lost my job - but in the back of your mind you would probably think - well I'll get another one.

In my opinion this is what is sad, people's have no opportunity to change their situation - we can be smug and say well they shouldn't have paid 10 times their salary and of course that's true, but there's nothing worse than feeling hopeless - nobody deserves to feel like that.

Advertisement