Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 16-04-2012 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

I'm opening up a new log for the Greenway 10k on the 26th of May. I completed the DCM in 6:10 and have been running every week and want to use this 10k to set me up for the DCM this year.

The past few months have been great, i really enjoyed getting out over the winter and keeping up with my training, I've had to take a week off recently and had my first run yesterday on a new route which is a beautiful Coilite loop in the middle of the Wicklow mountains and with the sun in my face really set me up for the day.. :cool:

This race is going to be about speed, I'd like to do a sub :50, my last 10k run was 1:23 min in Bray! so want to see how things have improved since last year.

Last week.

Sunday 6km

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Log update.

Well been a very hard week getting back into the running mindset, but think im there now, went out on my normal 5k run on Tuesday and thought i was going to pass out at the top of a steep hill I can normally fly over, my head started spinning!.. so far been out every day and I'm trying to run faster on my middle sections which is tough when all I've got around here is hills, your either going up one or coming down, so trying my best to get faster going up!

Also got some "nu sneakers" from amphibian king and the guys there are the dogs, I don't think I've ever got a nicer fitting pair anywhere.

Log update, had a bit of a shocker of a week, last week was running the guts out of myself with some new uphill fast runs and woke up on Saturday night with chest pains! So basically to cut a long story short have been to the doctors and to hospital and I've been given the all clear.. everything has checked out 100% and the doctor is happy for me to go back training.

So back out last night, this morning, and going back again this evening for some short runs.

Mayo seems a long way off now.

Back to normal now, and running everyday, have been running around 4km and have jumped into hals spring training at week 9 and plan on doing a full 8k fast run this Sunday.

Quick question what does 6 x 400 and 10 x 200 mean in the training program are you supposed to run or sprint these.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Quick question what does 6 x 400 and 10 x 200 mean in the training program are you supposed to run or sprint these.
    The answer's in the paragraphs above the table!
    Interval Training: Beginning with the seventh week of the program, move from your hill course to the track and begin doing interval training: 200s one week, 400s the next. Warm up before and cool down afterwards--and don't forget to stretch. Run the 200s at about the pace you would run in an 800-meter race; run the 400s at about the pace you would run in a 1,500-meter or mile race. Walk or jog 200 to 400 meters between each repeat. If you don't have access to a track, you can do these workouts on a golf course fairway or straight-away.
    Not too sure the local golf course would appreciate you flying up and down their fairways though. :) If you want to figure out what pace you should be running these, stick your most recent race time into Macmillan's pace calculator and look at the [Speed Workouts] section in the relevant column. This will give you an indication of what you should be targeting, but you'll likely need to adjust up or down to something realistic.

Ran 8km in 55 min on Sunday, not great! but the fastest I've ran that distance, I need to keep pressing on if I want to hit my target 45min 10k. I think I'll do it, running with a bit more confidence these days. Changed my diet and have kicked a couple of kg's, also changed the daily route so now its exactly 5km flat.

P.S. I've gone for a tomato rich diet, I've started eating them like apples! :o

• Advertisement

In general been out every day for either a 3k with strength or 5k run, am seriously disappointed with the level im at but going to keep pushing on, I think a 45 min 10k not possible with my frame and I will need to possibly look at doing the 10k in an hour, which is about 12min faster than the last time ..

Last week.

Monday 5k, Tuesday 5k w/Strength Training, Wednesday 5k, Thursday 5k w/Strength Training, Friday 5k, Saturday rest, Sunday 8k.

Didn't time this weeks long run, but happy with the level of fitness im hitting now, not going to be breaking any records!

Advertisement