Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are coilovers suitable for bad roads??

• 17-04-2012 12:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭

I want to lower my car a small bit, not loads but just a little. Would it be a bad idea as i do a bit of driving on some bad, bumpy roads? I don't drive loads on them, but maybe 10-15 miles a day.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It depends on the car, but it probably would be a bad idea. More so if you drive fast, less so if you drive like a granny.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I have a lowered fiat bravo, not with coilovers but with progressive eibach springs + KYB shocks. It's down 30mm. I also have a strut-brace in it.
    This car is driven nearly entirely on bumpy bendy country roads, and I must say I would never come back to stock suspension. Before modification car was bending too much while taking corners fast, and as a result loosing grip. Now this isn't happening.
    Also on bumps, it used to happened, that shocks were squeezing to the maximum, and you could hear and feel the bumping. Now after modification it's not happening at all, as above certaing force, spring is too hard to allow shock to squeze to the end.

I'm not sure if coilovers have similar effect, but if they do, that's the way to go for country roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

OK so one yes and one no lol!
    Most of my driving is on decent regional roads but just wouldn't want to get the coilovers if it was going to cause any hassle. The road where I live and the road to work are not the best. Drive both twice daily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I put Coilovers on the Toledo and noticed the difference immediatley.
    Though the are not rock hard they do stiffen it up a bit
    I think a set of Eibach pro springs would be a good compromise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I drive on coilovers every day, car is pretty low and on a medium damping setting.I don't find it too harsh

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    I put Coilovers on the Toledo and noticed the difference immediatley.
    Though the are not rock hard they do stiffen it up a bit
    I think a set of Eibach pro springs would be a good compromise

Cheers vectra, the suspension is already quite stiff as is anyway, it's s-line suspension. Think I might do it, and if im not happy I could always go back to stock right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

To be honest it really depends on the coilovers. Some people have it in there head that the lower you go a car have better steering. But it doesn't work like that exactly. You need to set it up properly and maybe change other parts as required.

If you are going for cheap coilovers all you get with them is stance. With more expensive fully adjustable coilovers you get better steering response if set up right. If you don't plant to set them up right or can't then just go for cheap coilovers. Springs would be the same really. You can't just lower the car and do nothing else and expect it to be a race car. It's one thing that really annoys me when people go on about it.

JerCotter7 wrote: »
    To be honest it really depends on the coilovers. Some people have it in there head that the lower you go a car have better steering. But it doesn't work like that exactly. You need to set it up properly and maybe change other parts as required.

If you are going for cheap coilovers all you get with them is stance. With more expensive fully adjustable coilovers you get better steering response if set up right. If you don't plant to set them up right or can't then just go for cheap coilovers. Springs would be the same really. You can't just lower the car and do nothing else and expect it to be a race car. It's one thing that really annoys me when people go on about it.

Well to be honest I'm not trying to turn it into a race car as such. What I'm after is the for the car to sit a bit lower and to handle as well or better and to improve the ride (that's what she said!) if possible don't drive it particularly hard anyway, especially on the bad roads

gollywog wrote: »
    Well to be honest I'm not trying to turn it into a race car as such. What I'm after is the for the car to sit a bit lower and to handle as well or better and to improve the ride (that's what she said!) if possible don't drive it particularly hard anyway, especially on the bad roads

Sorry I was just on a little rant about people thinking lowering a car automatically makes it way better handling. Which isn't always the case. What type of coilovers are you thinking of? And how low? 20-40mm usually won't mess with the steering of a car too much. But I know personally on mine if I go too low it really screws up the handling characteristics of the car. If you plan to stay in that range and not drive on too hard coilovers would be fine for you. Just don't go 120mm like some coilovers advertise:rolleyes:

Sorry I was just on a little rant about people thinking lowering a car automatically makes it way better handling. Which isn't always the case. What type of coilovers are you thinking of? And how low? 20-40mm usually won't mess with the steering of a car too much. But I know personally on mine if I go too low it really screws up the handling characteristics of the car. If you plan to stay in that range and not drive on too hard coilovers would be fine for you. Just don't go 120mm like some coilovers advertise:rolleyes:

No need to be sorry man, just sayin what I'm looking for cause I didn't mention it before! :) i dont plan on dropping it to the floor tbh, maybe 30-40 mm at most. The main reason is I just want it to look that little bit sportier without negatively affecting anythin :) if possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Sorry I was just on a little rant about people thinking lowering a car automatically makes it way better handling. Which isn't always the case.
    I'd risk saying instead "which isn't always the case" rather "it's often not the case"...

However lowering nearly always makes handling easier. It allows driver to better feel the car, and therefore react more quickly.
    On uneven road, probably softer and higher suspension will provide better grip, but will be more difficult for the driver to handle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

have coilovers in my car lowered about 80mm at the back and 40-50 at the front 90% of my driveing is on bumpy twisty roads
    fairly solid if u have a full load but if its just u and a front seat passenger its perfect and on a good road with dry weather holds the best like said befor everythinng is sent back threw the stearing and the rest of the car u feel much more in control

fanadman1 wrote: »
    have coilovers in my car lowered about 80mm at the back and 40-50 at the front 90% of my driveing is on bumpy twisty roads
    fairly solid if u have a full load but if its just u and a front seat passenger its perfect and on a good road with dry weather holds the best like said befor everythinng is sent back threw the stearing and the rest of the car u feel much more in control

Good to hear! And do you in any negatives?? What sort of coilovers would be good? Im a newbie!

CiniO wrote: »
    I'd risk saying instead "which isn't always the case" rather "it's often not the case"...

However lowering nearly always makes handling easier. It allows driver to better feel the car, and therefore react more quickly.
    On uneven road, probably softer and higher suspension will provide better grip, but will be more difficult for the driver to handle.

Re-read what I said, I meant it that way but you misunderstood. "Not often the case" would be like a double negative saying it usually results in worse handling. But that's not how I meant it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Another Bravo driver with a lowered example (60/40) with heavy duty front shocks from a diesel example and a rear arb from a diesel example too. Much more ridgid over a standard example. The roads where I am are attrocious but I still prefer it over the stock height. I used to have 40 profile tyres on 17s but gave them up, too bumpy and crashy! On normal tyres now and I love it, much more civilised :)

I have pics of the car being driven through bogs, no damage to the sump or bumper atall :)

@ Cinio: these cars have their turrets welded into the bulkhead via a strengthening beam so a strut brace isn't really necessary ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Anan1 wrote: »
    It depends on the car, but it probably would be a bad idea. More so if you drive fast, less so if you drive like a granny.:)

Nothing to do with the car, everything to do with the type of coilover. Spring and damper rates are the only thing that matter.

This is way too openended a questiont to answer without knowing what coilover you are looking at, there is a world of difference between different brands and what they offer within their range.

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Nothing to do with the car, everything to do with the type of coilover. Spring and damper rates are the only thing that matter.

This is way too openended a questiont to answer without knowing what coilover you are looking at, there is a world of difference between different brands and what they offer within their range.

I dont have much money right now so was thinking of the jom coilovers on alloy-wheels.ie??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

another option would be a H&R cupkit. it lowers the car about 30-40 mm but cant be adjusted. you will loose very little of your comfort but you will get the car closer to the ground and an improvement in the handling

I dont have much money right now so was thinking of the jom coilovers on alloy-wheels.ie??

they are cheap for a reason;) they are only for going low imo. any car i have been in them have been rough enough on bad roads compared to the H&R cupkit in my car.

jom coilovers for a mk4 based car are about 250. top of the range bilstein's cost about 1700:eek:

sean1141 wrote: »
    they are cheap for a reason;) they are only for going low imo. any car i have been in them have been rough enough on bad roads compared to the H&R cupkit in my car.

jom coilovers for a mk4 based car are about 250. top of the range bilstein's cost about 1700:eek:

I see, I dont need it to be adjustable so how much for the h&k cupkit and where would i get them??

• Advertisement

Stick to top brands like ohlins, bilsteins, tein, buddyclub and eibach. They are expensive for a reason.

I would personally go for a set of eibach lowering springs with standard shocks for what you want.

You need to do some research on the spring/damper rates on your car currently and what the coilovers will be and make a decision from there!

Stick to top brands like ohlins, bilsteins, tein, buddyclub and eibach. They are expensive for a reason.

I would personally go for a set of eibach lowering springs with standard shocks for what you want.

You need to do some research on the spring/damper rates on your car currently and what the coilovers will be and make a decision from there!

Ok, I think ill have take some time and research this a fair bit...
    I didnt realise there were so many options and things :o
    Its my first time modding any of my cars and im a bit lost!
    Just want some small tasteful mods and it to sit a small bit lower!
    Any other tips/suggestions gratefully received! ;)

Ok, I think ill have take some time and research this a fair bit...
    I didnt realise there were so many options and things :o
    Its my first time modding any of my cars and im a bit lost!
    Just want some small tasteful mods and it to sit a small bit lower!
    Any other tips/suggestions gratefully received! ;)

Sounds like a decent brand of lower springs will be perfect for you. Progressive springs would be perfect. Just as soft on a straight over bumps etc. but stiffen up nicely through corners.

lowering springs on standard dampers will affect the comfort of the car and will ware out the dampers quicker than the standard springs. it is a cheap option but again you will need to go for a decent brand and this quickly drives up the cost. H&R cupkit can be got from alloywheels.ie to. price will depend on the car but for a mk4 golf you are talking about 450ish. there are two options available. the comfort kit which lowers the car by 35mm all around and the sprot kit which loweres it 55/40mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

If you are not interested in an outright performanced based set up and only want a 30-40mm drop then I don't see coilovers as a good choice.

Matched springs and dampers are much more suited to your needs.

The likes of those JOM coilovers are just for lowering a car, not for handling.

Sounds like a decent brand of lower springs will be perfect for you. Progressive springs would be perfect. Just as soft on a straight over bumps etc. but stiffen up nicely through corners.
    If you are not interested in an outright performanced based set up and only want a 30-40mm drop then I don't see coilovers as a good choice.

Matched springs and dampers are much more suited to your needs.

The likes of those JOM coilovers are just for lowering a car, not for handling.

Cheers lads,
    Can ya reccomend some brands i could look up so id have more of an idea what i want and so i could understand them more please??
    Really appreciate all the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Cheers lads,
    Can ya reccomend some brands i could look up so id have more of an idea what i want and so i could understand them more please??
    Really appreciate all the help

For what car?

dgt wrote: »
    For what car?

sorry should have mentioned that... :o
    2005 audi a4 s line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Eiback Pro-Kit.
    Will give 30mm drop from a standard setup, not sure how much that is from s-line (its around 10-15mm with BMW M-Sport suspension).

• Advertisement

ongarite wrote: »
    Eiback Pro-Kit.
    Will give 30mm drop from a standard setup, not sure how much that is from s-line (its around 10-15mm with BMW M-Sport suspension).

So would that be a drop of around 40mm in total? I think the s line is 12mm lower than standard? Correct me if I'm wrong!
    And wha sort of prix would I be looking at?! I won't be able to spend too much at all, bills come first unfortunately!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

So would that be a drop of around 40mm in total? I think the s line is 12mm lower than standard? Correct me if I'm wrong!
    And wha sort of prix would I be looking at?! I won't be able to spend too much at all, bills come first unfortunately!

It'll be at drop of around 20mm from your s-line (30mm-12mm).
    The kits around €200, no idea how much to get fitted

ongarite wrote: »

It'll be at drop of around 20mm from your s-line (30mm-12mm).
    The kits around €200, no idea how much to get fitted

That sounds absolutely perfect then, pricewise and the height I want. Great stuff lads. I presume alloy-Wheels.ie would have these? I'm getting newrims soon so hopefully they would do a deal on the lot? Are they good to deal with? Was thinking about the grey tt-rs style on the silver a4, i think that would look good. I'm not really into the BBS rims like most others...

Advertisement