Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst of the compensation culture

• 17-04-2012 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

The mother of a guy I went to school with was notorious for taking anything to court to make a quick bit of money.

Take note that she is notoriously white trash. Our primary school banned McDonalds food, even though she was the only one bringing it to her fat children.

Anyways, one of her little darlings broke into a building site and starting messing around with the slabs, etc. He ended up breaking his leg. She took the construction company to court because there weren't enough barriers preventing her son from breaking in. As if there was an ASBO magnet dragging him in.

Another time, she sued the Four Lanterns (popular fast food restaurant in Sligo and Donegal) because he other son got soap in his eyes in the bathroom.

Now, these are the type of sinks that are caved in the wall, you'd have to stick your head inside a hole in the wall for that to happen.

The worst part is, she won that case.

Any other examples of ridiculous compensation

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I know a guy with a very small willy who drives a big car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭policarp

Ambulance chasing solicitors are just as bad IMO. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

Sure do ya not remember the scumbag who poured milk on the floor in a shop and "slipped" and then went to call his solicotor...good thing the shop keeper has it all on CCTV

I remember hearing a story about a dodgy paving slab somewhere in Dublin, that attracted entire families of chancers who "tripped" over and tried to sue the council! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

There was guy who worked in a place that I worked in who sued the company after he cut himself with a stanley blade.

Yep.

Claimed he wasn't trained properly.

He won his case too.

It's political correctness gone mad I tells ya.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

I say we're league below the US though.

Thankfully.

I say we're league below the US though.

Thankfully.
    I was just gonna say people are seeing it on tv and chancing their arm

Another big one was a law student who sue against a driver who kocked her down after she tried to run across a duel carriageway instead of walking acros a junction 2 mins up the road,she was awarded 1million in damages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

policarp wrote: »
    Ambulance chasing solicitors are just as bad IMO. . .

Works on contingency?

No, money down!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Murder One??? Wow, even if we lose I will be famous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

im mortified to even say that, ive a family member that sued the corporation last year and won.

He fell and split his head off the kerb , now it wasnt a loose slab, he just fell, and he got 20 grand:eek:

He has no shame, a lot of the family stopped talking to him over it . he did need a few stitches- but he was on the medical card so its not like he had to pay for his treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Wompa1

There was a family of a certain background in my home town that three times were involved in car crashes in the same spot where drivers had bad visibility and could only go straight forward.

Won all cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the problem is how on earth are the judges awarding these people damages? and the amounts are normally obscene to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

the problem is how on earth are the judges awarding these people damages? and the amounts are normally obscene to go with it.

Is it actually the courts usually awarding them? Sometimes a business owner would rather throw three or four grand at someone rather than have embarassing costly legal nonsense through the courts at higher cost.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Easy pal ...they just don't mind spending someone elses money.

Think of the Bull O'Donoghue with the limos...that Waterford IT guy who got TAXIS to Dublin for meetings.

It's a common human trait....suck it up !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Is it actually the courts usually awarding them? Sometimes a business owner would rather throw three or four grand at someone rather than have embarassing costly legal nonsense through the courts at higher cost.

It's usually the insurance companies who settle small claims rather than run up huge legal bills. There was a student who claimed that she slipped on the stairs in my shop and we had the whole "incident" on CCTV. I was prepared to fight it but the insurance company settled with the her solicitor and I was only informed after the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

I got a graduate job working for a city council a few years ago and while I was there a cyclist was taking the council to court after riding into a temporary road sign which was warning about road works ahead. He was suing on the grounds that there was no warning given that there was going to be a temporary road sign ahead (presumably if there was a warning sign given then the council then would also have needed to place another sign warning about the first warning sign ahead etc etc etc).

I never found out how the case worked out but it wouldn't surpise me if he won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Gyalist wrote: »
    It's usually the insurance companies who settle small claims rather than run up huge legal bills. There was a student who claimed that she slipped on the stairs in my shop and we had the whole "incident" on CCTV. I was prepared to fight it but the insurance company settled with the her solicitor and I was only informed after the fact.

Did that affect your premium?

I got a graduate job working for a city council a few years ago and while I was there a cyclist was taking the council to court after riding into a temporary road sign which was warning about road works ahead. He was suing on the grounds that there was no warning given that there was going to be a temporary road sign ahead (presumably if there was a warning sign given then the council then would also have needed to place another sign warning about the first warning sign ahead etc etc etc).

I never found out how the case worked out but it wouldn't surpise me if he won.

A warning for a warning? By all rights, there should be a warning for that warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

LittleBook wrote: »
    Did that affect your premium?

Yes, and public liability is already very costly as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

My OH has told me that of an incident where a mother in my area sued (or tried to sue) a county council because her son broke his wrist skateboarding outside their building. This would be a real p*sser for the skating community because this is exactly the kind of thing that they are consciously trying to avoid and what stops the rest of them being able to skate or have skate parks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

I'm currently suing five boards members for upsetting me with their posts so i cant really talk... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Every few months or so there is outrage on Joe Duffy show that a hotel or restaurant won't warm the baby's bottle

Lazy staff they scream. And I'm sure there are a few on boards who would join in

The reason I've refused to do it is because I was told to by the management

The microwaves in the kitchen are industrial type and powerful, thirty seconds in this compared to the one at home is different
    If I don't heat it enough I'll get given out to. But if I overheat it and the baby gets scalded, then boom, see ya in court
    Sure a mother is to check the heat first but I'm not taking that chance.

And what we tried to do was let the mother into the kitchen and let her use the microwave. But she wouldn't have non-slip shoes so if she fell then that's another court case

We had a microwave in the lobby that anyone could use but the drunks were coming back and messing with it and using it on their feed from the chipper. Get out :mad:
    So that was taken away

What we will do is give you a bowl of hot water and leave it on your table.
    Determining the heat is then up to you.
    Sorry it has to be that way but every business must protect themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭blackwhite

FinnLizzy wrote: »
    The mother of a guy I went to school with was notorious for taking anything to court to make a quick bit of money.

Take note that she is notoriously white trash. Our primary school banned McDonalds food, even though she was the only one bringing it to her fat children.

Anyways, one of her little darlings broke into a building site and starting messing around with the slabs, etc. He ended up breaking his leg. She took the construction company to court because there weren't enough barriers preventing her son from breaking in. As if there was an ASBO magnet dragging him in.

Another time, she sued the Four Lanterns (popular fast food restaurant in Sligo and Donegal) because he other son got soap in his eyes in the bathroom.

Now, these are the type of sinks that are caved in the wall, you'd have to stick your head inside a hole in the wall for that to happen.

The worst part is, she won that case.

Any other examples of ridiculous compensation

Know the family that you are on about........ nothing them feckers wouldn't chance. A number of shops around Sligo town have warned staff to watch every move she makes when she's on their premises because they reckon she's likely to pull a Drogba if given the slightest opportunity

davet82 wrote: »
    I'm currently suing five boards members for upsetting me with their posts so i cant really talk... :)

You were looking at the thread last night to see which posters have the most savings

I'm on to ya, only suing the rich posters ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

A woman in work walked into a piece of equipment we use and hurt her leg. I dont understand how she didnt see it there as its petty hard to miss, or how she hurt her leg so badly she felt she had a case to take. But what I really dont understand is how she won in excess of 10k !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

There was a case in Galway where a lad tried to sue Supermacs from slipping in the bathroom.
    Supermacs had CCTV images of the lad and his mate, taking water from the sink and throwing it on the floor.
    The lad then proceeded to take a few practice slides on the wet floor befory lying down while his mate called for a manager.
    All captured on CCTV.
    The case went to court but the complainant withdrew the complaint when the CCTV evidence was shown.

Edit: Here's a link to the story.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/I%27M+SUPER+SORRY%3B+Compo+conman+regrets+scam+for+pounds+38,000.-a083017241
    THE compo conman who tried to cheat a fast food chain out of pounds 38,000 said yesterday: "I'm sorry now."

The fraudster, who made a false compensation claim against Supermac's, has always kept his identity secret.

But we can reveal he is convicted car thief Ronan Quinlivan from Newcastle, Co Galway.

In an exclusive interview with the Mirror, Quinlivan said: "I truly regret it now.

"It was a stupid thing to do and the only excuse I have is that I was too young to know what I was doing.

"But I have learned my lesson and will never do anything of the sort again."

Quinlivan, 21, tried to sue the company after saying he slipped and fell on a wet toilet floor.

But his lies were exposed on a security camera that showed him deliberately putting water on the floor.

He and an unnamed friend then practised slipping before falling on the ground.

Concerned staff at the res-taurant - who at the time were unaware of the hoax - called an ambulance.

It was only after the video was viewed that they realised they had been duped.

But Quinlivan now maintains he regrets trying the scam.

He said: "I did that years ago - I was only 16 then and hadn't a clue what I was at.

"I thought it would be a quick way of making money and I didn't think about the consequences.

"The money just came into my head and it seemed a good idea .

"But now I am older and know it was not right. One thing for sure is that I will never pull a stunt like that again."

Quinlivan said he was embarrassed by the security camera pictures that were all over the newspapers and TV this week.

He said: "It was me in the video and my friends and relations all know that. But now I just want to put it all behind me. As far as I am concerned it is in the past."

The con attempt took place in the Galway Eyre Square branch of Supermac's in 1997.

The case came to court last November, but Quinlivan withdrew his claim when it was revealed the company's lawyers had damning video footage of the incident.

Quinlivan, of Inishannagh Park in Newcastle, has been up in court before.

In 1998 when he was 18 he was convicted of attempting to steal a car and with the unauthorised taking of a car.

He was ordered to carry out 80 hours of community service when he appeared before Galway District Court.

The court heard he had fallen into bad company.

The Supermac's video was shown last week to Irish business leaders who met at a conference in Dublin.

They joined with Supermac's in demanding tougher penalties for fraudsters who cost Irish businesses millions every year.

Mark Fielding of the Irish Small and Medium Enterprises said: "Our members have indicated that due to rising insurance costs they will be forced to operate with reduced cover or reduce costs in other areas which will put jobs across the country at risk."

Supermac's chief executive Pat McDonagh said Quinlivan's false claim was not the first that the company had come up against.

He told of another case where a drunk prankster tried to sue after he slid down the handrail of a stairs in another branch.

That case never went to court because the video footage also proved the claim was fake.

There was guy who worked in a place that I worked in who sued the company after he cut himself with a stanley blade.

Yep.

Claimed he wasn't trained properly.

He won his case too.

It's political correctness gone mad I tells ya.

Or health and safety - people always get those confused!

Only a fool or a brave man would mess around in Judge Mary Fahy's court :eek:
    Galwegians know the court reports in the advertiser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

It's gas just as I'm reading this post there is an ad at the bottom of the page for personal injury lawyers. Hmm.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Jesus could not have been from Cork.

He fell three times and didn't claim once.

There was the old story back in the nineties a Dublin Bus was involved in a nasty accident and was stopped by the side of the road.

People came over to see what happened

And instead of people getting off the bus, people started getting onto the bus ;)
    No CCTV on buses back then

No idea if it's true but I think it could have happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Every few months or so there is outrage on Joe Duffy show that a hotel or restaurant won't warm the baby's bottle

Lazy staff they scream. And I'm sure there are a few on boards who would join in

The reason I've refused to do it is because I was told to by the management

The microwaves in the kitchen are industrial type and powerful, thirty seconds in this compared to the one at home is different
    If I don't heat it enough I'll get given out to. But if I overheat it and the baby gets scalded, then boom, see ya in court
    Sure a mother is to check the heat first but I'm not taking that chance.

And what we tried to do was let the mother into the kitchen and let her use the microwave. But she wouldn't have non-slip shoes so if she fell then that's another court case

We had a microwave in the lobby that anyone could use but the drunks were coming back and messing with it and using it on their feed from the chipper. Get out :mad:
    So that was taken away

What we will do is give you a bowl of hot water and leave it on your table.
    Determining the heat is then up to you.
    Sorry it has to be that way but every business must protect themselves

I have never heard of anyone putting a child's bottle into a microwave, are there ppl out there that do this? :eek:

I think we all know a few people who have pulled one or two stunts in their time and more luck to them if they get away with, it's not something i would do personally but i have very little sympathy for money grabbing insurance companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

It's not a recent phenomenon. Back in 1978 I knew a girl who had a fight with her boyfriend at a house party and begged this chap who was there (down from Donegal) with his girlfriend for a lift home. He didn't want to leave the girlfriend but she kept on and on at him. Eventually he gave in. On the way to her house they were involved in an accident and he died. She was injured, not seriously but sustained some facial lacerations and she thought she was god's gift, a bit like the Brick. She sued his insurance for what was a hell of a lot of money back in those days. No conscience over the fact that if she hadn't badgered him for that lift that he wouldn't have died. Silly bitch. Her entire family, mother, father, five brothers and one sister went on to claim for various things successfully. Some of them had more than one claim. They must have realised through her that it was easy money or else they were very unfortunate (which I sincerely doubt).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

swingking wrote: »
    It's gas just as I'm reading this post there is an ad at the bottom of the page for personal injury lawyers. Hmm.....

There's ads at the bottom of your page? I successfully sued boards and had the ads removed from mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

So when is it alright to claim :rolleyes:

cruiser178 wrote: »
    and more luck to them if they get away with, it's not something i would do personally but i have very little sympathy for money grabbing insurance companies.

It's not the money grabbing insurance companies that suffer with these fake or enhanced claims. It's the person or business who is paying the insurance who pays down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

cruiser178 wrote: »
    ...but i have very little sympathy for money grabbing insurance companies.
    What about everyone else, when their premiums increase?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

If you happen to fall in town, stay down until the ambulance comes around.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭blackwhite

So when is it alright to claim :rolleyes:

When you suffer an injury or loss that is genuinely the fault of somebody else, and not caused by your own incompetence, negligence or trespassing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

El Weirdo wrote: »
    What about everyone else, when their premiums increase?

Oh yes, yes when everyone's premiums increase i forgot about that because insurance companies work their profits out just enough to cover the scammers and then just a little bit of profit for themselves. Whether its car, home, public liability or other, insurance in this country is way over priced to say the least and its not all down to a very small percentage of scammers. Again no sympathy.

It's not a recent phenomenon. Back in 1978 I knew a girl who had a fight with her boyfriend at a house party and begged this chap who was there (down from Donegal) with his girlfriend for a lift home. He didn't want to leave the girlfriend but she kept on and on at him. Eventually he gave in. On the way to her house they were involved in an accident and he died. She was injured, not seriously but sustained some facial lacerations and she thought she was god's gift, a bit like the Brick. She sued his insurance for what was a hell of a lot of money back in those days. No conscience over the fact that if she hadn't badgered him for that lift that he wouldn't have died. Silly bitch. Her entire family, mother, father, five brothers and one sister went on to claim for various things successfully. Some of them had more than one claim. They must have realised through her that it was easy money or else they were very unfortunate (which I sincerely doubt).

Just to play devil's advocate for a moment. Putting aside the tragedy of the guy dying all I read from that is:

Woman is injured in car crash, claims against insurance of driver, wins.

How she ended up in the car doesn't really come into it in the eyes of the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

With the advent of alot more CCTV it should make it harder for these people to sue, however i do believe there should be a new Act invented to cover these incidents, called the General Cop-On Act 2012 - It will have 1 section, which states that:

Anyone who injures themselves or has dependants who injure themselves, through complete idiocy and/or lack of general cop-on and/or common sense, shall not be entitled to claim compensation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

blackwhite wrote: »
    When you suffer an injury or loss that is genuinely the fault of somebody else, and not caused by your own incompetence, negligence or trespassing.

Grand job :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I was a summer camp leader years back and on our way home from Clara Lara, our coach clipped a tractor trailer. Barely even felt it. When we got back to Pearse street, there was a line of taxis waiting to take every child on the coach straight to hospital with whiplash.
    Disgusting hearing the parents coach the kids about what to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

People like that should be taken out of their homes and kicked to death in front of their families.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Just to play devil's advocate for a moment. Putting aside the tragedy of the guy dying all I read from that is:

Woman is injured in car crash, claims against insurance of driver, wins.

How she ended up in the car doesn't really come into it in the eyes of the law.

The law is an ass.

The law is an ass.

But the girl did nothing wrong really. I mean sure she pestered the guy for a lift but she didn't cause the car crash.

In fact if she claimed off his insurance then presumably in the eyes of the law he was at fault for the crash. Should she not claim for her injuries purely because someone else was injured fatally in the crash?

I honestly don't see anything wrong with what she's done in how you've described it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

all i hear is wha wha wha begrudge begrudge. suing is a good thing for society. it creates an incentive to punish stupid people for their incompetence.
    i was cycling in a cycle lane in town one day. a hairdressers had placed a sign in the centre of the cycle lane to advertise their premises. it was raining and i had my hood up. naturaly i couldnt see it and then wham, i went straight into it and out in front of a car. i wasnt injured but i was nearly killed.
    i never sued but from that experience i can see why some people might be inclined to sue others for their sheer disregard for the safety of others.

paky wrote: »
    all i hear is wha wha wha begrudge begrudge. suing is a good thing for society. it creates an incentive to punish stupid people for their incompetence.
    i was cycling in a cycle lane in town one day. a hairdressers had placed a sign in the centre of the cycle lane to advertise their premises. it was raining and i had my hood up. naturaly i couldnt see it and then wham, i went straight into it and out in front of a car. i wasnt injured but i was nearly killed.
    i never sued but from that experience i can see why some people might be inclined to sue others for their sheer disregard for the safety of others.

Naturally you couldn't see it? What if it had been a small child that stepped out in front of you?

Sounds like you were cycling without watching the road ahead.

If I was that hairdresser's sign I'd sue you. :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement