Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What were your best and worst subjects in school?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

English - those poems were just unpossible to understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I did pass maths for the Leaving, so I'll go with that as the worst.

I'd say my best was Geography. Had the laziest fcukwit of a teacher for that. Had the fortune of getting the 'Focus on Geography' guide book which produced the A1.

BTW, what's with all the school related threads recently? Private vs Public, best/worst, incorrect teachings? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Best were geography, English and Irish. Worst was maths, by an absolute mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Best: English (which is surprising considering the amount of typos/bad grammar I have on here), French (moved here from France when I was a child) and Art.

My best Leaving Cert marks were actually in Home-Ec and French. I only took up Home-Ec in 6th year and found it ridiculously easy. Lots of overlaps with biology and most of it was pretty intuitive. Maybe because I'm a woman. Haw haw..

Worst: Maths. Wasn't terrible at it, but found it pretty difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Well in terms of LC points ...
    Best was English (Higher level A1)
    Worst was Maths (Ordinary level A1)
    I absolutely hated English though, and actually quite liked Maths!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

My worst subject was maths - I gave up any maths-related subjects as soon as I could (Bus. Studies, Science etc.)

Best subjects were English, Home Ec. and Geography. I wish I hadn't given up History after the JC, considering I spend so much time learning about history in my free time now. At the time, I took older siblings' advice and went for the 'softer' subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

In secondary school:
    Best subjects - History, English
    Worst subjects - Biology, Math

In College:
    Best subjects - Eating, Sleeping
    Worst subjects - History, English

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Best: Music (though LC Music is a pisstake tbh), English

Worst: Chemistry (hated it so never worked at it!) and Maths (was too lazy to work at it :pac:).

I was a lazy Leaving Cert student though. My Irish teacher was always reprimanding me for my "coasting" attitude to academia :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Best - History. Especially European history. Loved anything about both world wars, and how they came about. My essay on the Assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand was a page turner (all 20 pages) i'll tell you.

Worst - Irish. Did foundation after coming to an agreement with my teacher that i wouldn't mess in class if he wouldn't try to teach me. Worked for both of us. The exam was hilarious. Pretty much 50% of it was connect the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Best: English and French.

Worst: Maths, I guess.

I was pretty great at most things tbh :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭MiseryCat

best subject was Art and English

Worst was maths and Irish

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Best: History. Had a good memory for the book and was very capable at essays so did very well in it. Also did well in maths and geography.

Worst: Irish. I was very stubborn and insisted on doing it at Honours level despite knowing it would always be my worst result. It was (although I still scraped by with the C3!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

English probably was the best. The worst was Irish. Having said that it was Honours Irish, I got roped into it by our teacher. I only agreed because there was only myself and a gorgoeus looking girl that were taking Honours which meant a lot of classes on our own. But alas, I never got a mharcaíocht out of it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Best, Art and Business

Worst, Irish, Maths and Geog only because the teacher was an awful wankbag and spat while she spoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Best subjects: anything Maths or Science based, like Maths or Science (especially Physics)

Worst: Woodwork, metalwork (which I didn't do in school). I started Building Construction in 4th year, but never got around to failing it in the LC, coz I left at the end of the year. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Best subjects would have been english, art and for some reason home economics :pac:

Worst subject by far would have been maths, or anything to do with maths tbh :o anything more than simple sums were lost on me, the majority of my JC and LC study went on that tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Best: Maths, Physics, Biology

Worst: English, Geography, Business

French and Irish were middling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Best Ag Science

Worst Irish

Never used anything from Ag Science since, but I'm nearly fluent in Irish now, coz fúk u education system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

My best subjects were English and history, I had a genuine interest in them. Strangely enough I didn't do too bad at agricultural science even though my brain isn't wired for science. I think I just got lucky in what came up in the LC exam.

My worst were maths, French and Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

All of them.. crap at them all; except English.. cause I spoke it every day:D

Got out of school, got a job, learnt new stuff, got into computing and now doing alright.

Fecking school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

My best was Biologoy, I got an E in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

They didn't have subjects back in my old school days. Back then, from the moment you walked through the school gates, you were repeatedly lashed up and down a field for 4 hours until lunch (which consisted of whatever could be scraped off the floor of a local pig sty), followed by evening prayers and even more lashings.

You kids don't know how good you've had it with your subjects.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I was no use at anything ....... even at nineteen i was useless ...i've changed a lot . I get people scratchin' their heads because i'm not consistently smart or stupid .I lacked guile .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I was really good at getting my self out of trouble :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

Best; Maths, Physics, Applied Maths
    Worst; French

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

English was my best by a mile. The only one I really had any interest in and I was good at, which encouraged me to be interested and put in some effort.

Maths was the worst, easily. I could barely grasp basic concepts in maths. I just had absolutely zero interest. My maths teacher thought I was completely hopeless, convinced I'd fail the Leaving Cert. Just about passed in the end somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

English and History - took both at higher level for the Leaving, and got decent grades.

Everything else was at ordinary level.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

My best was French.
    My worst by far was Maths, I needed grinds to pass ordinary level in the leaving. Mind you my teacher was rubbish. Had him for two years and at the end of it he didn't even know my name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

English was my best by a mile. The only one I really had any interest in and I was good at, which encouraged me to be interested and put in some effort.

Maths was the worst, easily. I could barely grasp basic concepts in maths. I just had absolutely zero interest. My maths teacher thought I was completely hopeless, convinced I'd fail the Leaving Cert. Just about passed in the end somehow.

:D Snap!

I remember getting a tutor (no we were not rich, my poor mother was just desperate) and it made no help at all.

He was Indian and I found it hard to understand his strong accent, but it really made no difference... he may as well have been speaking Indian.

He would just look at me with these despairing eyes, but I just couldn't understand maths and that was it.

I ended up getting 60% in maths in my HSC - my lowest score by a good bit. :D No surprise there.

I turfed all my notes into the bin after finishing the exam. What a feeling. Still have zero interest in it. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

Best at maths and French
    Worst at Irish - my LC exam was an complete sham.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 175 ✭✭jimjimjimmy

Best Maths, worst Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Best:
    Art-(The actual art part,not art history which I found incredibly boring)

History-(Got an A in higher level on the Junior,despite being on the mitch for most of the year and my idiot teacher predicting that I'd fail!)

English-(Always liked reading and writing storys so it was one of the few classes that I enjoyed)

Worst:

Maths-(found it incredibly boring,all my teachers were ancient and they used to let the lads on the GAA teams away with everything where's I'd be hauled in for detention for the smallest thing,think I got an E in foundation for the leaving)

Irish-(found the subect itself pointless and the teachers I had for it were all **** so I just wasn't bothered with it)

French-(In 1st year we had a great French teacher who made learning the subject incredibly easy,from 2nd to 6th year though we had a brutal,washed up hack for a teacher who couldn't control the class so I pretty much gave up on it.She's still teaching there now too which is pretty ridiculous)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

My best was english (got an A1 in the LC :) ) but the one I enjoyed most was art.

My worst was maths- which is strange, considering my dad and 2 of my brothers studied physics/maths in college. It was fun when I broke the news that I was dropping to ordinary level :(

I also hated irish and french.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭smokingman

RichieC wrote: »
    Religion class and crayon time :D

Isn't that the same class though? :D

Best - Maths
    Worst - Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Best: Maths
    Worst: Biology

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cassel16

Best - Georgraphy & English
    Worst - Maths

But I loved maths!

I went to a tec and hated all the technical subjects. Loved maths and learned to type on a typewriter in the school. In the last few years they got commodore computers and I was taught to use and love them. I was exempt from Irish and the teacher used to let me use the computer during Irish. Used to spend hours writing programs in Basic to do my Maths.

best: english, closely followed by the same results for maths, applied maths, french

physics was down at the bottom :cool:
    our teacher refused to teach us mechanics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I was best at Biology, but also pretty good at English. Irish too. Funnily enough, I didn't continue the good at languages trend and was shit at French.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Best:

Art - Did excellent on the Art, shìte on the history as the renaissance was the only thing I had and still have any interest in.

Biology - Probably the only class besides Art & English I actually enjoyed.

Worst:

French: Zero interest in the language and the day after my Leaving Cert my brain seemingly flushed everything I learnt about it out the window, I can't remember one single word of that language now.

I think I know more German anyways (Du Hast........du hast mich! :pac:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Hated tech. drawing and engineering in school, so naturally enough i've ended up working as a draughtsman in an engineering company for the last 15 years.
    In school i was the best at eating packs of frosties and so long, while staring out the window day dreaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Best was history and worst was probably French.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Best: English and Irish.

Worst: Chemistry and woodwork.

My best were English and History, but that was generally because the teachers I had made it interesting and I wanted to learn. The worst were Maths and Physics, for the exact opposite reason - couldn't stand the teachers and couldn't stand how they taught, so I didn't learn. I'm still terrible at maths, but I know more physics than I did then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Best Engineering, worst Irish. Languages just weren't my thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 martin kelly.

Best Biology and Geography

Worse french and Irish hate learning languages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

Best hons Geography / Biology and Engineering

Worst maths, had to do foundation level for my leaving.

I have worked in finance for the last 11 years........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,480 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Best - maths,tech drawing, physics,
    Worst - Languages, biology
    Fiona wrote: »

......maths, had to do foundation level for my leaving.

I have worked in finance for the last 11 years........

explains alot:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Best: Accountancy was a piece of piss... though I got the same grades in Economics and Bus Org in LC too.

Worst: a toss-up between Irish and Maths depending on how you measure it. I detested being forced to do Irish so dropped to pass (we didn't have foundation level) and spent the class reading the Preacher comic book series and playing Tetris. Pretty much the only study I did for it was the night before the exam. I passed it based on whatever I absorbed from just sitting in the class.

I struggled with Honours Maths because I had a teacher who went at the pace of the best students and never bothered to set homework because he expected us to do all the exercises ourselves, which to be fair, I never did. Got a C in it after getting some grinds from another teacher in school and whilst my worst result of the six honours subjects I focused on it was the greatest achievement of them as I'd been repeatedly told to drop to pass before I got those grinds (which I paid for out of my own pocket).

I was excellent at English.
    Quite good at Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Geography, Home Ec.
    Not so good at Irish.

PE I wasn't particularly great at but I was on every team, feckin loved it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement