Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League 20th Anniversary Awards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the team will look something like this...

200802.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Xavi6 wrote: »

Don't forget to include your moral outrage.

I can't believe they left out [something or other]. The whole thing is a farce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

the team will look something like this...

200802.jpg

Had this team with two differences - Rio ahead of Vidic and I also choose Gerrard over Scholes as I think Gerrard has a slightly better goals/game ratio despite playing in a poorer team during his career. While Scholes is better at passing the ball, his tackling (or lack thereof) puts him behind Gerrard for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

MaceFace wrote: »
    I also choose Gerrard over Scholes

404734d1300156375-wenger-batallion-iii-72326-mens-divers-watch-quality-performance-movement-information-662814-simpsons_homer_eating_popcorn_large.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

In my team I had :

Schemichel

Neville
    Ferdinand
    Terry
    Cole

Ronaldo
    Lampard
    Keane
    Giggs

Henry
    Zola

Perfect balance in that team to play a host of formations and systems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Cole>>Irwin

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Cole>>Irwin

in what way? Irwin had everything - 2 footed, penalties, corners, free kicks, assists, excellent defending. he aint far off the best full back to play in england, let alone be doubted by you.

ashley cole just isnt fit to lace his boots

in what way? Irwin had everything - 2 footed, penalties, corners, free kicks, assists, excellent defending. he aint far off the best full back to play in england, let alone be doubted by you.

If thats the case then he could be easily played at RB and drop Neville for Cole.

Cole has been one of the finest LB's in the modern game for the best part of a decade.

gavredking wrote: »
    If thats the case then he could be easily played at RB and drop Neville for Cole.

Cole has been one of the finest LB's in the modern game for the best part of a decade.

and irwin is one of the finest full backs in the history of the game. huge difference.

and cole is one of the most hateable, spiteful players every to play the game, it counts for something when these decisions are being made. even taking that aside, Irwin was still a better player all things considered.

neville v cole is interesting, i think neville shades that also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

Never argue against red tinted specs.

• Advertisement

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Cole>>Irwin

I'm not doubting him, he was a fine player. Just think Cole has been the best left back in the premier league era. A phenomenal defender first and foremost, with pace and a cracking positional sense. Equally brilliant going forward. Yeah he's a knob but he's better than Irwin was. Your obv a United fan yes?

and irwin is one of the finest full backs in the history of the game. huge difference.

and cole is one of the most hateable, spiteful players every to play the game, it counts for something when these decisions are being made. even taking that aside, Irwin was still a better player all things considered.

neville v cole is interesting, i think neville shades that also.

How does that count against him, I was under the assumption that best ever EPL team would be picked on ability?

In the first 10 years of the EPL Irwin was the best LB, next 10 years its been Cole.

Cole has been Englands best fullback since the EPL started and that includes RB IMO.

His ability to get up and down isnt matched by anyone to play in the EPL so far.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Last season and this one Cole isn't the player he was. Being old enough to appreciate Irwin gives you the perspective needed here I think.

The man had all Cole had and a bit more, pace would be the only thing Cole had over him. And Irwin more than compensates for that with positional sense, i expect Cole to get more exposed as he gets older and loses a yard or two. In no way saying he's a poor player but Irwin was consistently the best full back ever to play in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Liverpool fan obviously. I voted:

- Newcastle vs Liverpool;
    - Thierry Henry (obviously the Le Tiss goals are amazing, but Henry's might be the most aggressive kick of a ball I've ever seen);
    - Alan Shearer;
    - Brad Friedel (this wasn't easy to choose);

Schmeichel

Neville
    Adams
    Campbell
    Irwin

Ronaldo
    Keane
    Vieira
    Giggs

Shearer
    Henry

Recency bias tends to obscure these things. Scholes is a great, great player. But I've never seen anything like Keane or Vieira for the imposition of one's will at the very highest levels of the game.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Recency bias tends to obscure these things.

+1 to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭PeterTwo

Some strange selections for the team. Desailly over Carvalho, Petit in centre mid and no Drogba.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Temuri Ketsbaia has to win the celebration vote

latenia wrote: »
    Temuri Ketsbaia has to win the celebration vote

Shearer celebrated like a man. Simple, no frills.

The reason I'm picking Cole is simple, hes better going forward and offers more to the team in the way of a goal threat in regards to setting up team mates or chipping in with the odd goal.

His link up play with the guys ahead of him is excellent and hes proved at Arsenal and Chelsea that if you can keep him penned back then you stop a whole flank been exploited, Irwin never had the threat that Cole had on the left.

If people really believe that Irwin was the finest FB in England ever, then its simple really, Neville wouldnt get a game at RB and Cole would take LB.

Irishness bias also obscures things!

• Advertisement

If people really believe that Irwin was the finest FB in England ever, then its simple really, Neville wouldnt get a game at RB and Cole would take LB.

That isn't an option though, is it?

Irwin was an absolute prince of a player. Consistency defined, the best backpost cover defender you'll ever see, never roasted, excellent from setpieces.

Cole is also an extraordinary player, and still performing at a really high level. They are the two best EPL fullbacks, but it would be a joke not to include Irwin imo.

Game: United 1-6 City
    Goal: Le Tissier v Blackburn (pity about no Yeboah v Wimbledon which was his better one imo)
    Celebration: Klinsmann definitely
    Save: Schmeichel v Newcastle, there's an awesome still of him in mid air for that one as well.

Team:

Schmeichel

Neville
    Campbell
    Adams
    Cole

Beckham
    Scholes
    Vieira
    Giggs

Bergkamp
    Henry

Lack of quality at right back and a tough decision between Ronaldo and Becks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I went for Cole over Irwin. The fact he is a díck shouldn't come into it, otherwise a lot of other players would be left out too. Cole for is the epitomy of the modern fullback, great going forward and in defence. To say Irwin isn't fit to lace his boots is laughable to be honest.

Midfield is impossible to choose really. Hard to leave out any of Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes, Keane and Viera.

I went for Scholes and Gerrard, imo the best playmaker/passer and goalscoring/match-winner midfielders of the era, but couldn't really argue with any combination of the above 5. Fabregas and Makelele woudl be up there as well, but I didn't consider them because they did not play for as many seasons as the rest.

GK, Right-back, Right-mid and Left-Mid are all fairly dead certs imo, plus I think Henry has to fill one of the striker slots

The reason I'm picking Cole is simple, hes better going forward and offers more to the team in the way of a goal threat in regards to setting up team mates or chipping in with the odd goal.

I'd wager there is very little if anything between them in goals scored. It comes across as that you haven'#t seen Irwin play that much tbh.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    That isn't an option though, is it?

Irwin was an absolute prince of a player. Consistency defined, the best backpost cover defender you'll ever see, never roasted, excellent from setpieces.

Cole is also an extraordinary player, and still performing at a really high level. They are the two best EPL fullbacks, but it would be a joke not to include Irwin imo.

Its not an option on the internet no, in fact some of the options are fairly baffling from Barclays.

I'd have no problem including Irwin at RB as I rate him higher then Neville in the same way I rate Cole higher then Neville and due to Irwin's ability with his right he'd slot in no problem.

lordgoat wrote: »
    I'd wager there is very little if anything between them in goals scored. It comes across as that you haven'#t seen Irwin play that much tbh.

Irwin has 10 more goals, 25 v 15 in respect to their EPL careers, you could argue most of Irwin's came from free kicks or penalties and Cole's came from open play but thats not the point really.

I've seen Irwin play numerous times back in the day you couldnt get away from Utd on T.V. :pac:

I'll admit theres not much between them but my preference would be Cole due to his overall attacking quality and what he offers the team going forward and how he occupys RB's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I think a lot of voters are too young to remember Irwin playing,the man was simply the best full back I saw playing in England.

Plus he could do things like this....

For the record my team is.

SCHMEICHEL

G.NEVILLE
    ADAMS
    BRUCE
    IRWIN

RONALDO
    KEANE
    SCHOLES----GIGGS

SHEARER
    CANTONA

It was a toss up between Bruce & Vidic and Cantona/Henry.

zerks wrote: »
    I think a lot of voters are too young to remember Irwin playing,the man was simply the best full back I saw playing in England.

Plus he could do things like this....

For the record my team is.

SCHMEICHEL

G.NEVILLE
    ADAMS
    BRUCE
    IRWIN

RONALDO
    KEANE
    SCHOLES----GIGGS

SHEARER
    CANTONA

It was a toss up between Bruce & Vidic and Cantona/Henry.

I see a pattern there ^

At 27 I dont think I'm too young to have seen him play.

Theres much better free kick takers to play in the league so relying on Irwin for that would be negagted when you have Ronaldo in your team.

Plus theres 10 other positions up for grabs other then the LB slot.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Lack of quality at right back and a tough decision between Ronaldo and Becks.

a team that doesnt include ronaldo, cannot be taken seriously. he is going down as one of the greatests players ever to play the game yet not good enough for the PL team of the past 20 years?

considering he won world player of the year and came in the top 3 on other occasions, while playing in the PL, he is nailed on to be in the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Very difficult to pick a team. So many class players to choose from.
    Team:

Schmeichel

Barton
    Desailly
    Adams
    Irwin

Ronaldo
    Gerrard
    Keane
    Giggs

Shearer
    Henry

Lampard walks into this team as well.

Most EPL goals from midfield and 2nd most assists behind Giggs from midfield.

I'm sorry lads, but Cantona has no business being in this team.

Yeah I wouldn't have commented if I wasn't old enough to see Irwin play. It's very close and definitely debate worthy, stupid comments suggesting it's not like "he's not fit to lace his boots" are just noise.

a team that doesnt include ronaldo, cannot be taken seriously. he is going down as one of the greatests players ever to play the game yet not good enough for the PL team of the past 20 years?

considering he won world player of the year and came in the top 3 on other occasions, while playing in the PL, he is nailed on to be in the team.

Meh, it's my team and I like Becks so he's in.

Gutted that my team isn't taken seriously though. Really gutted :o

I see a pattern there ^

At 27 I dont think I'm too young to have seen him play.

Theres much better free kick takers to play in the league so relying on Irwin for that would be negagted when you have Ronaldo in your team.

Plus theres 10 other positions up for grabs other then the LB slot.

Naturally the best team over the last 20 years were going to dominate my team,pity there wasn't a subs bench.Viera,Bergkamp,A.Cole could have made my team.

Judging Irwin on his free taking alone ignores the fact he was a wonderful defender,Mr.Reliable: You could always trust him.

• Advertisement

I see a pattern there ^

and so what? the team that has won the most PL titles in having some of the best players of that period shocker.

that group of players are multiple PL winners, multiple fa cup winners, some of them have appeared in 4 champions league finals and 2 world club cup finals.

including them is not united bias, its called picking the best players over the past 20 years and alot of them will have played for united due to what they have achieved and how they achieved it.

and so what? the team that has won the most PL titles in having some of the best players of that period shocker.

that group of players are multiple PL winners, multiple fa cup winners, some of them have appeared in 4 champions league finals and 2 world club cup finals.

including them is not united bias, its called picking the best players over the past 20 years and alot of them will have played for united due to what they have achieved and how they achieved it.

Cantona is not good enough for a best ever EPL team, neither is Bruce given the options there is available.

I will give you Schemichel, Ronaldo, Giggs, Keane or Scholes, Neville (becasue theres no other option), Irwin, well we've debated that enough at this stage.

I have no problem with including Utd players but 9?

Cantona over Henry?!?!

Lampard walks into this team as well.

Most EPL goals from midfield and 2nd most assists behind Giggs from midfield.

Nah nobody walks into this team in Centre-mid imo. You have Keane and Viera amazing engines and leaders, the centre point of two of the greatest PL teams, Gerrard and Lampard maybe (?) the first midfielders to get over 20+ goals and who could change the match with one moment of magic, Scholes who nobody beats in the passing/playmaking stakes and has done it for years. Makelele, arguably the best 'destroyer' to grace the game, Fabregas another brilliant free-scoring midfielder and a rival to Scholes in his playmaking ability.

The last 2 don't compete with the rest because of longevity imo.

But my point is that no one 'walks in' to the midfield, it's an incredibly competitive area and there are too many standouts to say that

Morzadec wrote: »
    Nah nobody walks into this team in Centre-mid imo. You have Keane and Viera amazing engines and leaders, the centre point of two of the greatest PL teams, Gerrard and Lampard maybe (?) the first midfielders to get over 20+ goals and who could change the match with one moment of magic, Scholes who nobody beats in the passing/playmaking stakes and has done it for years. Makelele, arguably the best 'destroyer' to grace the game, Fabregas another brilliant free-scoring midfielder and a rival to Scholes in his playmaking ability.

The last 2 don't compete with the rest because of longevity imo.

But my point is that no one 'walks in' to the midfield, it's an incredibly competitive area and there are too many standouts to say that

Lampard has more goals then any of them midifelders and only second to Giggs in assists as well as possesing a fitness level superior to a good few professionals.

His worth to the team is vital from CM and statistically he has to play.

I'd personally play him with either Keane/Vieira/Makelele and opted for Keane as a leader among men.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

It was all going so well until i got to the central defenders and Sami Hyypia wasnt on the list, yet Jaap Stam was. I swiftly closed off the tab. Absolutely ridiculous.

Cantona is not good enough for a best ever EPL team, neither is Bruce given the options there is available.

Nobody gets a face like Steve Bruce's by being shy in defending,the man was a rock at the back.He didn't have the skills of Desailly or Ferdinand but by God he knew how to defend like his life depended on it.I think it was the fact Adams was in my team that skewed my choice,I was imagining the two playing together.

Melion wrote: »
    It was all going so well until i got to the central defenders and Sami Hyypia wasnt on the list, yet Jaap Stam was. I swiftly closed off the tab. Absolutely ridiculous.

the same Stam who got awarded worlds best defender for 3 years?

nobody has included him in their teams for what i see and he probably wont get in teh actual team, but to use his as a yardstick to show your displeasure about Hyypia is laughable.

the same Stam who got awarded worlds best defender for 3 years?

nobody has included him in their teams for what i see and he probably wont get in teh actual team, but to use his as a yardstick to show your displeasure about Hyypia is laughable.

He got voted in the CL team of the year 2 years in a row. Is that what you meant? Hardly being voted the worlds best defender is it?

He played 79 league games for United over 3 seasons

Hyypia played 318 times over 10 years

Im sorry but its absolutely pathetic that Stam is shortlisted ahead of him.

200808.jpg

Scholes >> Viera. I just do not get people picking Viera over Scholes, Scholes has it all over Viera, appearances, goals and assists. Scholes is older than Viera and is still playing at the highest level.

If you want to use the argument that Viera was a different type of player, I'd agree, so you should then compare him to Keane right? Keane also has more goals and appearances and was just a better player IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

He got voted in the CL team of the year 2 years in a row. Is that what you meant? Hardly being voted the worlds best defender is it?

He played 79 league games for United over 3 seasons

Hyypia played 318 times over 10 years

Im sorry but its absolutely pathetic that Stam is shortlisted ahead of him.
    Quality over quantity.

Stam was in the top 3 defenders in Europe and probably consequently the world in that time and Hyypia would struggle to ever get in the top 20, maybe being slightly harsh on him as he was a great defender on his day but Stam was ridiculously good and consistent in his 3 seasons.

Liam O wrote: »
    Quality over quantity.

Stam was in the top 3 defenders in Europe and probably consequently the world in that time and Hyypia would struggle to ever get in the top 20, maybe being slightly harsh on him as he was a great defender on his day but Stam was ridiculously good and consistent in his 3 seasons.

Hyypia from 04-06 was every bit as good as Stam was in the late 90's

Hyypia from 04-06 was every bit as good as Stam was in the late 90's
    How many league titles do Liverpool have to show for it? Multiple trophy years? Stam did it every time he stepped onto the field and while Hyypia was great he should never be considered in Stam's league which is that of Alessandro Nesta and Nemanja Vidic among others.

Liam O wrote: »
    How many league titles do Liverpool have to show for it? Multiple trophy years? Stam did it every time he stepped onto the field and while Hyypia was great he should never be considered in Stam's league which is that of Alessandro Nesta and Nemanja Vidic among others.

Djimi Traore has a champions league medal. Does that make him a better left back than Ashley Cole?

Djimi Traore has a champions league medal. Does that make him a better left back than Ashley Cole?
    I'd prefer Cole's medal haul tbh...not sure what point you are trying to make, not only has Cole won more individually but collectively than Traore. Really poor point.

• Advertisement
Advertisement