Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League 20th Anniversary Awards

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Liam O wrote: »
    I'd prefer Cole's medal haul tbh...not sure what point you are trying to make, not only has Cole won more individually but collectively than Traore. Really poor point.

My point is, trophies dont matter when it comes to a players ability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Here's the top voted team from the 10 year anniversary.

SCHMEICHEL

NEVILLE--ADAMS---DESAILLY--IRWIN

BECKHAM--VIERA
    SCHOLES--GIGGS

SHEARER---CANTONA

DOMESTIC TEAM:

SEAMAN

NEVILLE--ADAMS--BRUCE--PEARCE

BECKHAM--INCE--SCHLOES--GIGGS

SHEARER----OWEN

FOREIGN PLAYERS:

SCHMEICHEL

PETRESCU---STAM--DESAILLY---IRWIN

LJUNDBERG
    VIERA---KEANE----PIRES

HENRY
    CANTONA

zerks wrote: »
    Sky Sports are launching their own poll today also on their website.It's not up & running yet but it'll give us another chance for debate.

Here's the top voted team from the 10 year anniversary.

SCHMEICHEL

NEVILLE--ADAMS---DESAILLY--IRWIN

BECKHAM--VIERA
    SCHOLES--GIGGS

SHEARER---CANTONA

DOMESTIC TEAM:

SEAMAN

NEVILLE--ADAMS--BRUCE--PEARCE

BECKHAM--INCE--SCHLOES--GIGGS

SHEARER----OWEN

FOREIGN PLAYERS:

SCHMEICHEL

PETRESCU---STAM--DESAILLY---IRWIN

LJUNDBERG
    VIERA---KEANE----PIRES

HENRY
    CANTONA

INCE? Fúcking PAUL INCE!
    Its time for me to bow out of this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Remember,this is from 10 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Keane didn't get in the 10 year team? Wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Melion wrote: »
    My point is, trophies dont matter when it comes to a players ability
    You were informed of individual awards and decided to ignore it. Not sure what you are looking for to justify your ridiculous opening statement in this thread.

zerks wrote: »
    Remember,this is from 10 years ago.

Oh, thank god

Liam O wrote: »
    You were informed of individual awards and decided to ignore it. Not sure what you are looking for to justify your ridiculous opening statement in this thread.

I was "informed" that he was voted the best defender in the world for 3 years running. I didnt see any proof of that. I did see that he was voted as the best defender in the champions league for 2 years running and asked if that was what you meant. Conveniently, you didnt reply to that.

Sami Hyypia was voted central defender of the decade on goal.com in 2009, should that be counted in this argument?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Hyypia from 04-06 was every bit as good as Stam was in the late 90's

no he wasnt but feel free to proove me wrong. for instance hyypia never got on the PL team of the season did he, a feat which stam achieved in all 3 seasons that he played.

as i said, stam is not making many peoples teams and rightly so, due to longevity but the standard he reached in those 3 seasons wa better than anybody else in that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Went with the below

Also voted Bergkamps goals against Newcastle the best
    Cantonas Sunderland celebration
    And Liverpool and Newcastles 4-3

Team Selection was very much based on ability and what I thought of the player. The Robben for Giggs was controversial alright, but I'm happy with the choice. And how Staam is being labelled as "undeserving" of this list is shocking. Especially when I saw someone mention Hypiaa,

No liverpool player should make it near the best 11 of the premier league...

Then again consdiering Gerrard won player of the month last month, for scoring a hat trick, yet loosing like 5 games, nothing will suprise me

561882_10150935634772517_535292516_9570964_1326495950_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I was "informed" that he was voted the best defender in the world for 3 years running. I didnt see any proof of that. I did see that he was voted as the best defender in the champions league for 2 years running and asked if that was what you meant. Conveniently, you didnt reply to that.

Sami Hyypia was voted central defender of the decade on goal.com in 2009, should that be counted in this argument?
    I didn't reply to it because it wasn't me who said it. PFA team of the year all 3 years he played for United. Season he left United didn't win the league for the first time in 4 seasons. He was an integral part of a great international team too. But then again I suppose a travesty of a website's opinion is justification for your ridiculous point that Hyypia was better than him.

no he wasnt but feel free to proove me wrong. for instance hyypia never got on the PL team of the season did he, a feat which stam achieved in all 3 seasons that he played.

as i said, stam is not making many peoples teams and rightly so, due to longevity but the standard he reached in those 3 seasons wa better than anybody else in that time.

PFA Team of the year 99/00 and 01/02. That ok for you?

PFA Team of the year 99/00 and 01/02. That ok for you?

The moment you mentioned Hypiia in the same breath as Stam, I'm pretty sure you were fighting an uphill battle.

I've come across very few people who watch / play the game that didn't rate him as an absolute powerhouse at centre back, and a shockingly high performer.

A few United autobiographies also comment how one of the biggest mistakes SAF made was cutting him loose, and not getting over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I see they are going with the philosophy that to be a good match it has to have a **** loads of goals.

TheDoc wrote: »
    The moment you mentioned Hypiia in the same breath as Stam, I'm pretty sure you were fighting an uphill battle.

I've come across very few people who watch / play the game that didn't rate him as an absolute powerhouse at centre back, and a shockingly high performer.

A few United autobiographies also comment how one of the biggest mistakes SAF made was cutting him loose, and not getting over it.

Im not disputing the fact that Stam was an amazing defender. But IMO Hyypia was right up there with him and did it for a lot longer.

• Advertisement

Im not disputing the fact that Stam was an amazing defender. But IMO Hyypia was right up there with him and did it for a lot longer.

I don't think anyone would dispute Sami was a tremendous servant to Liverpool, and was a good defender.

But I feel Staam was in the elite of centre backs, and I don't think Sami was there in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I see they are going with the philosophy that to be a good match it has to have a **** loads of goals.

Was thinking that as well, there must have been some absolutely epic, nail-biting, incredibly important, high-quality 1-1's or 1-0's or 2-1's that are far more deserving of a place on the list that Reading's 7-4 loss to Portsmouth.

I voted for the 4-4 Arsenal Liverpool anyway, remember being completely engrossed in the game, going through the range of emotions and there were some genuine goals of quality in it as well. It was an incredibly important game as well, as Liverpool failing to win effectively was the end of the title challenge.

I remember thinking that day that Arshavin was absolutely world-class and would be up there as one of the stars of the Premiership for the next 5 years or so! Couldn't have been more wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Schmeichel

Neville
    Vidic
    Adams
    Irwin

Ronaldo
    Keane
    Vieira
    Giggs

Henry
    Shearer

Mainly involves United and Arsenal players, and then the outstanding Shearer who is surely in every team.

Honourable mentions to Gerrard, Scholes, Lampard, Rio, RVN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Schemichal

Neville
    Vidic
    Adams
    Irwin

Ronaldo
    Scholes
    Keane
    Giggs

Shearer
    Henry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Schemichal

Neville
    Hyypia
    Adams
    Cole

Ronaldo
    Scholes
    Gerrard
    Giggs

Shearer
    Henry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Best PL XI

Schmeichel

G. Nev
    JT
    Vidic
    A.Cole

Ronaldo
    Keane
    Gerrard
    Giggs

Henry
    Bergkamp

Notable mentions Shearer, Pires, Drogba, Lampard, Scholes, Vieira, Irwin, Beckham, Hyypia, Carragher.

And yes Ashley Cole is a superior player to Irwin. Just because he's insufferable doesn't take away from the fact he was always a world class footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

James
    Jones Carragher McGrath Riise
    McManaman Gerrard Le Tissier Barnes
    Fowler Bergkamp

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

No calls for Robbie Keane yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

this isn't even difficult for me.

Schmeichel
    Neville
    Adams
    Campbell
    Irwin
    Ronaldo
    Keane
    Vieira
    Giggs
    Henry
    Shearer

Keane and Vieira are the two best CMs of the era for me, no question, and the two of them, as one, would be a force of nature.

they can create, not to the level of a Scholes, Lampard, or Gerrard in his pomp, but with Ronaldo and Giggs on the wings, with Henry ahead of them as the complete forward player, and Shearer as the total, lead-the-line, goalscoring striker, you have bucket loads of goals.

IMO, people forget how great Campbell was. Vidic ran him very close for that spot though. the other 4 defensive positions, IMO, pick themselves.

other honourable mentions apart from the ones i've already mentioned...to Pires, who only loses out due to Giggs' longevity, Begrkamp, who it was painstaking to leave out and Beckham, who only loses out because Ronaldo was such a freak.

Yorke and Cole as a partnership up front wouldn't look totally out of place either. an example of the total being an awful lot more than the sum of its parts.

darced wrote: »

not even close.

there's at least 10 better than him without even thinking for long.

that's not disrespect to JT, i think he's an often underrated defender and leader, but there are many on a different level to him completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I don't like 442 really so I thought I'd go with a 4-2-3-1(can't do this on the actually website but whatever)

Schmicehal
    Nevillie-Rio-Campbell-Cole
    Keane-Viera
    Ronaldo-Bergkamp-Giggs
    Henry

I can't really remember enough of Adams or Irwin to include them.

SlickRic wrote: »
    not even close.

there's at least 10 better than him without even thinking for long.

that's not disrespect to JT, i think he's an often underrated defender and leader, but there are many on a different level to him completely.

Gee I dunno.

Centre back is a tough position to choose though. You have players like Carragher, no skill and pace but an absolute diehard who most would love in their team. Players like Hyypia then were better on the ball and could read the game better. Similarly I never rated Ferdinand much as a defender but he's a great footballer.

I'll admit I forgot Adams when I was selecting and he would definitely have to be up there. But Terry was immense in 05 and 06 in particular and has been a rock for Chelsea. Perhaps a lack of pace may cost him but I think he's a super defender. He has dipped in form in recent years no question but for about a 2/3 year period in the mid noughties he was the best centre back in the PL no question and was a major part of the two-in-a-row winning side.

It begs the question though is longevity a major factor in selecting the team? Like I think JT at his peak was better than Campbell no question but Campbell certainly performed to his best for longer.

Also, how does one prefer (for example) Vieira to Scholes or vice versa? Two completely different types of footballers. Shearer and Bergkamp the same. Saying that some interesting selections though. Think Henry, Schmeichel, G.Nev, Ronaldo, Giggs and Keane are the shoe-ins (judging from this anyway)

I don't like 442 really so I thought I'd go with a 4-2-3-1(can't do this on the actually website but whatever)

Schmicehal
    Nevillie-Rio-Campbell-Cole
    Keane-Viera
    Ronaldo-Bergkamp-Giggs
    Henry

I can't really remember enough of Adams or Irwin to include them.

Cant remember Adams or Irwin but you can remember Schmeichel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Yea. I think it was mainly due to my age and lack of knowledge probably. When a keeper makes an excellent save everyone can see it, when a defender takes up an excellent position it's a lot more difficult to spot(certainly was for me at a very young age anyway). Similar with forwards, I remember good strikers from back then a lot better because goals stand out more for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

I think Schmeichel, Giggs, Ronaldo and Henry absolutely have to be included without argument. Nobody really comes close to them in their position.

All other positions are definitely up for discussion.

Right back I think clearly enough goes to Neville, some other decent players there, but Neville's consistency makes him pretty clear cut.

Left back is between Cole and Irwin, both by far #1 and #2 left-backs in Prem history. I ended up opting for Cole even though I'm a huge Cole fan. Irwin just never made a mistake and was never caught out. Going forward he was also an asset. Cole has pace over Irwin, but as an overall full back goes, both are great but I just give the slight edge to Irwin.

Centre backs are actually pretty tough to pick. I always wonder if we should pick fantasy teams like this as if we were picking 11 players to actually play a match, or just the best players in their positions (regardless of exactly how well they would work together). Anyway, I decided to go with Rio and Adams. It's a close call, but on balance, I think these two deserve to be in the team. Rio at his peak had pace, power and composure and Adams was a beast. My third choice would probably be Terry, but I just think Adams pips him, although it's very close.

Centre midfield is pretty tough too since there's so much quality. In the end I went with Keane and Gerrard. Keane was just sensational and had so many indescribable qualities, he really is a must in the team. I picked Gerrard since he carried Liverpool for so long and has been a top, top player for a long time. I think Scholes is a clear third with Vieira, Lampard and Makelele getting honorable mentions. Scholes is an absolute legend and I originally was going with him and Keane. However, Gerrard is a little more well rounded and offers pretty much everything so I ended up going with Gerrard.

Up front, Henry gets one place as the greatest striker to play in England. Alongside Henry, again it comes down to whether you're simply picking the best players in their positions, or a team to actually play. If we're picking a team to actually play, I'd pick Bergkamp since he's so intelligent and him and Henry compliment each other perfectly. If it's just the best players, I think Shearer, Van Nistelrooy and Rooney deserve credit. Out of those three, I'd prob end up going with Shearer. I was never a great fan of RVN but it's tough to argue with his record. Shearer was a prolific goalscorer too, but I feel he added more than RVN. Rooney is just a great player and definitely deserves to mentioned up there with the best, even at a young age.

So the team I ended up voting for:

Schmeichel
    Neville
    Ferdinand
    Adams
    Irwin
    Ronaldo
    Keane
    Gerrard
    Giggs
    Henry
    Bergkamp

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The selection of right backs is appalling (not that they chose badly, just the dross on offer). Why is this position seemingly so hard to excel at in the Premier League?

The selection of right backs is appalling (not that they chose badly, just the dross on offer). Why is this position seemingly so hard to excel at in the Premier League?

It's funny cos at the moment I actually think there is quite a good selection of right-backs in the league, maybe better than left backs. Richards, Johnson, Walker, Rafael, Sagna, I'm possibly leaving a few out but I think the Premier League is seeing a better quality of right-back than in years gone by.

But agree, looking at it from the highest standards, it's strange when Neville becomes an absolute shoe-in, and absolute quality players need to be left out in other positions.

As someone else suggested earlier, maybe Cole at LB and Irwin at RB is the best combination

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Mine is the same as Homerjay's but with Ferdinand ahead of Adams. Mine is essentially a United XI with Shearer and Henry up front so no point in posting it.

The saves section disappointed me. Kuszczak's mam must have been compiling it. I definitely remember better saves from Schmeichel than the ones picked as well.

Really enjoyed watching some of those videos.

Plumped for Le Tiss against Newcastle as the best goal. Absolute genius.

Jam-Fly wrote: »
    So the team I ended up voting for:

Schmeichel
    Neville
    Ferdinand
    Adams
    Irwin
    Ronaldo
    Keane
    Gerrard
    Giggs
    Henry
    Bergkamp

Not the exact team I had but similar and I agree with most of your post, especially the part about Schmeichel, Ronaldo, Giggs and Henry having to be in. I'd include Neville in there as well as I just don't see any other options

You dont need to know Schmeichal

There is enough testimants and modern day reflections on the beast

Also Bergkamp's goal against us gets my vote for best goal, pure genius.

TheDoc wrote: »
    You dont need to know Schmeichal

There is enough testimants and modern day reflections on the beast

Thats not someone having their own opinion though. Thats just believing what they have been told. Like i cant ever say that Pele or Maradona were the best player ever, i never seen them hence Ronaldo and Zidane are the best players ever IMO.

• Advertisement

darced wrote: »

better than JT...

Adams
    Campbell
    Vidic
    Carvalho
    Ferdinand
    Stam
    Bruce
    Desailly
    McGrath
    Pallister

i'd even put Hyypia, but i didn't want there to be too much indignation :p

as for the other awards, went with Arsenal 4-4 Spurs for best match although I could easily choose any of the matches. It's rather tough to choose a best match objectively because I think matches more so than anything are subjective due to who you support. Matches aren't always about best quality, they're usually more about entertainment and drama.

Goal I went with Bergkamp. Just such class from such an intelligent player. Rooney's goal is probably second.

I was thinking Fergie and Kidd for celebration and then I saw Lua Lua's celebration, I forgot just how class that is. Ended up voting for that one.

Save I went for Schmeichels against Newcastle, just epic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭PeterTwo

vetter than JT...

Adams
    Campbell
    Vidic
    Carvalho
    Ferdinand
    Stam
    Bruce
    Desailly
    McGrath
    Pallister

In the Premiership at the very least, Dessailly can not be considered to be as good as Terry, captain for 3 league titles.

better than JT...

Adams
    Campbell
    Vidic
    Carvalho
    Ferdinand
    Stam
    Bruce
    Desailly
    McGrath
    Pallister

some of these players are better at some things than Terry yes, but Terry is the best defender at what he does. If you play a high line against a pacy team, he'll get exposed, but a goal up with 5 minutes to go and the other team laying siege to your goal, Terry (at his peak) is the best there is. Obviously I'm not saying Terry is only useful a goal up with 5 mins to go etc but you get my point.

PeterTwo wrote: »
    In the Premiership at the very least, Dessailly can not be considered to be as good as Terry, captain for 3 league titles.

the same age-old mistake so many will continue to make.

Terry had better players around him for the league titles than Desailly ever had.

titles do not mean everything in terms of the standard of a player.

better than JT...

Adams
    Campbell
    Vidic
    Carvalho
    Ferdinand
    Stam
    Bruce
    Desailly
    McGrath
    Pallister

Gee what a selection of centre backs. Can't say I truly remember watching Bruce or Pallister to be fair, in fact the first season I remember properly was 98. Terry is better than Desailly and Carvalho though, although the latter had a better footballing brain and was an incredible reader of the game, I just think JT was more effective. I mean come on if Mourinho had to leave one of them out of his side there was only going to be one answer.

Ferdinand better defender than JT? Not a hope imo. Ferdinand better all round footballer perhaps, but who would I rather in my side? JT all day long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Ferdinand has been the best CB since the prem began for me.

Terry was incredible from 03-07. I remember thinking that Chelsea were almost unbeatable if he was playing. He had a similar effect to that of Keane at United during this time. It wasn't just his playing ability but his ability to up the games of those around him.

He is definitely one of the best CBs in the PL era. Absolute cockhead though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Unearthly wrote: »
    Schmeichel

Neville
    Vidic
    Adams
    Irwin

Ronaldo
    Keane
    Vieira
    Giggs

Henry
    Shearer

Mainly involves United and Arsenal players, and then the outstanding Shearer who is surely in every team.

Honourable mentions to Gerrard, Scholes, Lampard, Rio, RVN

exact same team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Unlucky losers for my team are Adams, Gerrard and Henry.

teamx.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

the same age-old mistake so many will continue to make.

Terry had better players around him for the league titles than Desailly ever had.

titles do not mean everything in terms of the standard of a player.
    Forget the titles, forget the players around them, forget the off the field shenanigans and on the field accusations and John Terry is head and shoulders above Desailly in Premier League terms.

Desailly wins an all time, all leagues discussion easily though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement