Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stag Bars Chews

• 17-04-2012 8:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

What do you dogs think of them? Enjoy them?

We've had such a strange reaction to them! Some of the dogs growling and barking at them and one (usually brave) had to be carried past them! Very odd...

Just wondered what anyone else thought, I'm on the fence about them...as pigs ears etc don't get the same reaction.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Haven't tried my guy with them yet? What are they like - do the last a long time, are the smelly etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

tk123 wrote: »
    Haven't tried my guy with them yet? What are they like - do the last a long time, are the smelly etc?

Theyre meant to last weeks. Not smelly unless you put them up to your nose and even then its an odd musky smell. Just finding dogs reaction kinda funny :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I thought they were very expensive so I didn't get one. I've never heard of that reaction before though. That would nearly make me buy one just to see :D

Whispered wrote: »
    That would nearly make me buy one just to see :D

Same here - considering he cried at a squeaky chick thing that came free with a zooplus order last week anything could happen! :D:D

EDIT - Suzi do you guys sell these? thinking of trying one for daycare - he keeps sticking his nose thru the bars of the crate to the point it's all skinned! :( Can't put him in the bedroom things cos he'll jump up and down like a maniac and possibly hurt his legs! (he's zonked out in the pic after playing all day :) )

200869.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Have ordered 2 medium ones off an amazon 'shop', not sure how long they will take to arrive. Seemed a bit cheaper than elsewhere so got them there on the theory that they will be a small sized medium (couldn't decide whether to get small or medium :rolleyes:).

• Advertisement

It'd be cool to know what you think of them...they tend to come in sm, med, lrg and xl pretty sure its calculated by weight as they are strange shapes!

suziwalsh wrote: »
    It'd be cool to know what you think of them...

You'll have to wait till the 25th of April to find out what I think of them apparently (2 weeks to post a couple of dog chews :rolleyes:)

Bailey likes his :) Thou he's exhausted from our walk earlier so hasn't had a chance to do any serious chewing on it yet lol!

201056.JPG

Brilliant and so handsome wow!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

tk123 wrote: »
    Bailey likes his :) Thou he's exhausted from our walk earlier so hasn't had a chance to do any serious chewing on it yet lol!

hey tk, what size is that one that bailey seems to be enjoyong so much?

• Advertisement

Binka wrote: »
    hey tk, what size is that one that bailey seems to be enjoyong so much?

I can't remember if it's small or medium?! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Sassy58

Hey,

Where can you get the Stag Bars - definitely something that I would be interested in - looks like it would keep my dogs entertained for a few hours - if you could let me know that would be great

tk123 - your poor dogs nose - what crate was he in - you could always get a bumper set off a cot to stop him doing it - but I certainly would be horrified if my dog came to me with his nose like that - must have hurt him so much the poor thing

Sassy58 wrote: »
    Hey,

Where can you get the Stag Bars - definitely something that I would be interested in - looks like it would keep my dogs entertained for a few hours - if you could let me know that would be great

This shame lol!! I had ordered from this place - http://www.puredog.co.uk/ but I have no patience so drove over to Positive Dog Training and got one there the next day!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

last summer was minding my friends 4 dogs, as well as leaving the usual treats and food she also left stag bars. after 2 weeks the bars where still left un touched, not one of her dogs likes them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I've yet to find a dog that doesn't like the Dried green tripe from Zooplus.
    The odour is somewhat.....powerful but dogs go mad for it.
    Its not really a chew as such more a treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I've yet to find a dog that doesn't like the Dried green tripe from Zooplus.
    The odour is somewhat.....powerful but dogs go mad for it.
    Its not really a chew as such more a treat.

Mine goes mad for that stuff too, zooplus were out of the 3 x 500g deal so didn't get any this time. I got some cow ears a few weeks ago as an alternative to pigs ears, my god they last ages, takes him 2 or 3 days to finish one.

I picked up a stagbar today, was shocked to see them in sligo! There was no smalls left so got a medium (but I only noticed on the way home that I only got charged the €5.49 for a small, should have been €8.49 :D). Well he loves it! No strange reactions yet so far, it'l last him a lifetime though he'l be ages working his way through it.

Oops, forgot my update!

After a looong wait and finding them in 2 petshops since, the stagbars went down a storm with these two. The pup buried his in his vetbed, then tried to have a go at other peoples :rolleyes:

203822.JPG

203823.JPG

Don't seem to be able take pics on the 'action' setting on my camera without the flash unless it's outside!

2 large Stag Bars finally arrived today in the post and got a mixed reaction initially. Julian pounced on his and thought he was in Lurcher heaven and Jacob was a bit spooked and thought he might be in Pointer purgatory! He soon came around...here are the results...

7217540546_1d80deb67b.jpg

hmmm..do they come in pheasant flavour?

7217540852_78da24a325.jpg

hmmm...smells like deer

7217540250_686442d0e3.jpg

bottoms up!

7217541456_20f02da0b7.jpg

my turn on the couch now.

7217541262_138b0ba045.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Seb_bixby

Zapperzy wrote: »

I picked up a stagbar today, was shocked to see them in sligo! There was no smalls left so got a medium (but I only noticed on the way home that I only got charged the €5.49 for a small, should have been €8.49 :D). Well he loves it! No strange reactions yet so far, it'l last him a lifetime though he'l be ages working his way through it.

Where did you get them in Sligo?? :)

Seb_bixby wrote: »

Where did you get them in Sligo?? :)

Connaught gold down by the docks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Seb_bixby

Connaught gold down by the docks.

Excellent, a trip may need to be made! As if he needs any more stuff! :rolleyes:

Seb_bixby wrote: »
    Excellent, a trip may need to be made! As if he needs any more stuff! :rolleyes:

Don't I know well! I went in for cat litter and came out with an arm full of stuff! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Binka - your dogs are just gorgeous! Julian is lovely - love lurchers.

Here's how ours is looking 2 months on - the round/marrow part is almost gone. He worked to 'V's'/wedges into the side over a few weeks until they met one day - and then he feasted on the marrow lol for an hour!
    I have to save I LOVE them - with the nylabones little shavings were coming off and he'd be coughing which was bad enough but once it was chewed the rough edges were like a magnet for fluff and hair etc so it always looked grotty no matter how much we trimmed and cleaned it! I have one ready to take over from this one and will definitely be getting more of them.:)

211032.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Went down to Blanchardstown yesterday to buy some. Our Labrador was afraid of it at first - she seemed to think it was alive but loves it now:D Our collie just laced into it and the terrier is not interested - (but I expected that as hes not interested in chewing things)

They are brilliant altogether! Cant believe Ive finally got a great chew thats safe. They are a little expensive but not really when you see how long they can last. They are also really good for them as they contain lots of thingys like calcium phosphorous, magnesium, glucosamine, chondroitin..... Everyones happy:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I knew I'd read about these here before :) I gave my dog a small stag bar today and after a lot of sniffing she just carried it around the garden for a while and then buried it well in behind a shrub at the back wall! :rolleyes:
    I was hoping it would help her be more relaxed outside but I suppose I'll have to wait till she decides to find it again :rolleyes:

littlebug wrote: »
    I knew I'd read about these here before :) I gave my dog a small stag bar today and after a lot of sniffing she just carried it around the garden for a while and then buried it well in behind a shrub at the back wall! :rolleyes:
    I was hoping it would help her be more relaxed outside but I suppose I'll have to wait till she decides to find it again :rolleyes:

Oh don't worry, when she rediscovers it she'll not leave it alone. My two were interested for a day or so and then mostly ignored them for ages. I really thought I had spent a lot of money on nothing. Anyhow, I always left them lying around and now suddenly they are loving them. I think it's because my pointer managed to get down into the marrow a few weeks ago and now they are fighting over them. Five months was a long time to wait but I'm getting good value for money now and two very happy dogs with sparkling teeth! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Anyone know anywhere in galway that sells these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

nala2012 wrote: »
    Anyone know anywhere in galway that sells these?

I got the small one in pet haven in Tuam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I saw these in the pet shop outside Malahide - Kinsealy Pet Shop but thought they were an expensive gimmic! Great to see all the different reactions! I'd be worried that they'd be so hard that If they splintered or went inside the dog it'd be game over! Great to read the different doggie reactions.

But that poor lab & his nose :''(
    Where is he that he's being let do that - he must be in agony :(

Advertisement