Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stag Bars Chews

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

Can be bought cheaper on this website, all orders have free shipping:
    https://doggyloot.com/deals

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭minipink

Sotisme have you ordered from them before it says us delivery on lots of products and I want loads from the website!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 skylers279

i get mine in jollys, allways seem to have them in stock, my dog just carries it around all day, she does not chew it, put loves to play with it, worth the 9euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Eh... what is it, a piece of a stag's antler?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

recedite wrote: »
    Eh... what is it, a piece of a stag's antler?

Yep! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I picked one up at the pet expo today with the intention of giving it to Kero tomorrow, but I don't think that will happen... Cream has fallen in love with it! Big big for his little kitty teeth though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I was thinking of trying these out. Does anyone know where you can get them in Cork?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

An update - decided to try these easy chews instead of the stagbars - https://www.antlerdogchews.co.uk/puppy-and-easy-chews
    My bold boy is only interested in the ones with the big roundy marrow bits on the end - once that's gone we're left with a water long piece he doesn't want! Anyhoos there was a voucher with the order :) - £5 off your first order with the code VCH105667

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭eoglyn

tk123 wrote: »
    An update - decided to try these easy chews instead of the stagbars - https://www.antlerdogchews.co.uk/puppy-and-easy-chews
    My bold boy is only interested in the ones with the big roundy marrow bits on the end - once that's gone we're left with a water long piece he doesn't want! Anyhoos there was a voucher with the order :) - £5 off your first order with the code VCH105667

I've used that voucher code, thanks. I'll let you know how he gets on with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Fido + I were in a pet shop the other day + she literally did the 4 legged splits + started high pitched screaming to get at a stagbar that was out of reach + on the ground. Couldnt believe it :0

( didng buy her one :() still worried about splintering. Any feedback on them splintering?

• Advertisement

Fido + I were in a pet shop the other day + she literally did the 4 legged splits + started high pitched screaming to get at a stagbar that was out of reach + on the ground. Couldnt believe it :0

( didng buy her one :() still worried about splintering. Any feedback on them splintering?

I don't think they'd splinter because they're so hard - you need a saw to break them...I know because I sawed the burr off the end of the last one I got in a pet shop lol! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

I was worried about splintering also - searched the web and could find absolutely nothing apart from the praise they got for safety.

Bought them and I can honestly say they have to be the safest chews ever!! My collie is such an aggressive chewer I think she could get a block of steel to splinter or break into chunks - but not these Antlers!! All they do is wear down in a powdery form, she very occasionally gets a tiny piece the size of a large crumb off (which is, of course, perfectly safe!) They are the only chews she is allowed (all rawhide etc... would be lethal for her) They come in different sizes so to totally put your mind at rest get the size larger as they are sturdier. I cant recommend them highly enough for safety (and Im very fussy:o)

PS your doggy might have been going mad to get at them because she thought they were alive or something....when my dogs first encountered them they behaved very oddly - one was afraid - kept circling and sniffing and nervously moving closer---the other much the same but then laced into it (third didnt care!) - so I figured the scent they gave off made some doggies think I had brought in some sort of new animal (alive or dead!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

They sound great. They're pretty expensive though. How long are people finding they last? (With power chewers)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

We got a medium one at the Pet expo and the dog is about a quarter of the way through it, and this is after being buried several times and molested by my cat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

2 months on and ours still hasn't been retrieved from its burial place :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Whispered wrote: »
    They sound great. They're pretty expensive though. How long are people finding they last? (With power chewers)
    I got the extra large for my setters almost a year ago and they're still 80% - 90% intact. In comparison, the nylon chew rings last them roughly 6 month. :) I do take the up for a few weeks every once in a while so they haven't has access to them the whole time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

tk123 wrote: »

Great site, I know what my lad will be getting for Xmas anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Have just ordered 3, 2 easy ones for a couple of lazy Shih tzus and a normal one for my girl.

Will let you know how I go!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Nettekee

My Cavalier cross has been gnawing away on an antler bone (as we call it in our house) for over a year! she keeps going back to it over all the other chew toys that she has. I think its great that it doesn't smell and it really is keeping her teeth clean. Recently I got her a wider one with more marrow in it, she thought it was the best thing ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭eoglyn

He sniffed at it, looked at me, looked at it, looked back to me, then ...

DSC04724.JPG

Success.

• Advertisement

Maybe I should mail them and let them know they have me to thank for the influx of irish orders lol!! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I got a little one for the pup on Saturday, and will be getting a large one for Diesel, who is now on crate rest for 6 weeks :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

I got one for my voracious chewer, she's been working on it off and on for about 9 months now and there's barely some scrapes on it. You can see where she's worked on it but suffice to say its no smaller in the least!

I personally love it as there's no smell, ok if you get it right up in your nose you might get a wee wiff of something, but overall its close enough to saying there is no smell from them. If anyones had the "pleasure" of giving their dog a buffalo bone the smell off of one of those clears a room and it lingers in everything. So a defo plus for the stag chew on that one.

Also - I find that it doesn't leave "goo" everywhere like rawhide chews do. I have a black sofa, so its the dogs mission once she has a bone to get on that couch and get the bone wedged inbetween two of the cushions you sit on. That keeps it stable and easy to chew ..... and it also smears that rawhide goo everywhere. Its like snail trails gone wrong! (If anyone else has this problem, wet the edge of a credit card/laser card (or similar type card, I use a subway one, it was free!) and scrape at the rawhide goo and it does come off and not affect the sofa, etc) But the stag chew leaves no mess at all, even on the black sofa there's a bit of a damp patch but that's more down to the dog! But absolutely no trace of the dreaded goo paths!

The only (slight) down side is that they can be pricey, at least I thought so, I paid about 19.99 for mine (believe it was in a smaller pet store) which I thought at the time was expensive, but now that I've seen its nearly a bone for life (yes, it wears down that slowly even with an insane chewer) it really is far more cost effective than most chews. On average the braided or rolled chews will last her about 2 weeks give or take but months and months on and this is still almost as good as new (size-wise it is, but looks let it down!) and she loves it. She's fussy and will get bored of chewing the same thing for more than 2 days, so I have a box in the pet cupboard that I just stash them in and she'll finish them at some point. :rolleyes::rolleyes:Spoiled much??:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

The only (slight) down side is that they can be pricey, at least I thought so, I paid about 19.99 for mine (believe it was in a smaller pet store) which I thought at the time was expensive,

That is very expensive. I got mine in Town & Country Stores in Duleek in Meath, I initially got a medium one to test the waters which was €6.50 and went back and got the extra large ones which were €13.50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

That is very expensive. I got mine in Town & Country Stores in Duleek in Meath, I initially got a medium one to test the waters which was €6.50 and went back and got the extra large ones which were €13.50.

This one is quite large, there were smaller ones that were cheaper in fairness. It was also, how can I put this politely .... a very lovely pet shop that felt their items were worth a great deal :rolleyes::rolleyes: We were away for a weekend and I'd forgotten a chew for her and I'd heard they were good and lasted forever, so it felt like an investment (justification is probably more the word! haha) - which it has been - I can see myself updating this when it gets bumped again in a years time or something - to say that its still going strong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I got the smallest one from Jollyes for £3.99, but the pup absolutely loves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Where can I get these in Galway? Petworld and Petmania didn't know what I was talking about when I asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Where can I get these in Galway? Petworld and Petmania didn't know what I was talking about when I asked.

Pet Haven in Tuam have them. It's the only place I've seen them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Has anyone seen them in cork? I like the sound of something he can't destroy within a week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

littlebug wrote: »

Pet Haven in Tuam have them. It's the only place I've seen them.

Thanks will have a look Friday when Im down that way.

Advertisement