Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stag Bars Chews

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

I've just come upon this thread, really interested in getting one for my dog. What size would I need for a lab X sheepdog shes a heavy chewer!

The X Large would be fine for a dog this size - even a heavy chewer - but I would highly recommend the Jumbo size - (see my previous post with pic)!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jenniferalan

I ordered an XL stag bar from puredog.co.uk over the Christmas on the 26th, I'm expecting the usual delays since it was during the holidays but just wondering how long people were waiting for delivery? I can't wait to give it to my dog :)

Thats a fair wait even taking into account the new year etc... Mine took a week ordered on the monday and arrived the following monday (xmas eve). I would email the company and enquire as I think thats a bit long.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jenniferalan

Thanks maggiepip, I was thinking it was a bit long even taking those holidays into a/c

Actually - just double checked my last order with puredog and it was dispatched on 19th Dec and arrived on 24th Dec - so only 5 days transit - definitely get onto them and see what the story is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

just seen on a friend's FB wall that stag bars have been banned from a particular assistance dog organisation as the vets feel they have been causing tooth and gum damage, as they are so hard, lots of soft tissue damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

ISDW wrote: »
    just seen on a friend's FB wall that stag bars have been banned from a particular assistance dog organisation as the vets feel they have been causing tooth and gum damage, as they are so hard, lots of soft tissue damage.

OMG really?! My guy is only interested in the easy chew ones that are split down the middle so I'd say he'd be fine. The antlers are very very though - I sawed a chunk off one or ours to expose the marrow (before I knew about the easy ones lol!) and it took a good while to get through it - and it was only a thin part!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Wizard01

Santa took my dog one for Christmas, she hasn't touched it, none of my dogs have :confused: She's not a big chewer but loves her kong and her bones but they have no interest in it at all!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I was in with my vet yesterday for a follow up for Taz' infected paw which he has been chewing. So we said that we've been giving him stag bars to distract him.

The vet says that they contain a drug which is a stimulant that increases their libido amongst other things. This particular drug is banned in humans competing in sports!

He said its safe to give to dogs as it occurs naturally and was probably what helped heal him after his cruciate op. Its meant to be good for arthritis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I don't use them as I found they did not last my terriers very long and I was also worried about broken teeth.

I do give the odd pigs ear though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I picked one up in Petstop for our 6mth old Beagle a few weeks ago. He's not that into it. Will chew it for a minute or so a day and drop it. It may be too hard for him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Knine wrote: »
    I don't use them as I found they did not last my terriers very long and I was also worried about broken teeth.

I am utterly disgusted that my 2 year old GSD has chipped the tips of her lower canine teeth :mad: I can't definitively point the finger, but all I've ever allowed her to chew on is Nylabones, and Stag Bars.
    I was horrified to notice this damage to her lovely teeth in the past week or two :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

DBB wrote: »
    I am utterly disgusted that my 2 year old GSD has chipped the tips of her lower canine teeth :mad: I can't definitively point the finger, but all I've ever allowed her to chew on is Nylabones, and Stag Bars.
    I was horrified to notice this damage to her lovely teeth in the past week or two :(

Oh no :( I haven't let mine have theirs since I saw the story about the assistance dog organisation banning them.

GAH!! I've just been giving the easy ones that are split down the middle - the first one lasted about 3 months and he's chewing the second one as a type! He doesn't really chew them tbh more like work on the marrow side but not sure now if i should switch back to nylabones?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Just wondering.

I FINALLY gave in about 3 months ago & bought fido a medium whole stagbar. . She went MENTAL for it & was SO excited & QUIET & it kept her well entertained for hours at a go. ( I never left her alone with it).

One night a while back I'm on the PC & she's gnawing away - big yelp( out of character) stagbar spat away, lots of blood & has never been looked at since.

Turns out a very small chip ( breadcrumb size ) came off the feckjn bar & " stabbed" her in the gum. Lots of blood ( well, a fair bit) but teeth not hurt. She sticks her head in the air and refuses to look or have anything to do with the stagbar if I ever show it to her again.

Anybody else had them chip on them?

: (

She was SO quiet & delighted with it up til then :(

DBB wrote: »

I've used nylabones for years with no issues. They have a little bit of give in them so not as likely to damage teeth I reckon.

My terriers made short work of the stag bar and I was also concerned that they would try to swallow pieces of it which would not end well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Knine wrote: »
    I've used nylabones for years with no issues. They have a little bit of give in them so not as likely to damage teeth I reckon.

This is what has my suspicions focussed on the stagbar..I've also used Nylabones for years and have never heard of any mumblings or warnings about them breaking teeth.
    I can't discount Nylabones, but they just haven't the reputation, whereas as ISDW posted ages ago on this thread, word was beginning to emerge that stag bars may damage teeth.
    My GSD is so young to have damaged her teeth. I'm looking into getting the damaged teeth capped!

The problem with damaged teeth too is that they can then start to wear more then they normally would have and this creates more issues.

I don't think I will be buying any more stag bars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

:eek:

My boy is still using his medium stag chew, for 6 months now! He's barely taken half an inch off it, and he's quite a big dog! Never had any problems with chips, but it is absolutely his favourite toy, and now I'm concerned :confused:

:( But the nylanones are so gross with all the fur stuck to the rough bits! ...They do have one that looks like a stick now though! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

tk123 wrote: »
    :( But the nylanones are so gross with all the fur stuck to the rough bits! ...They do have one that looks like a stick now though! :p

Mine chomps through nylabobe like spaghetti !

Mine chomps through nylabobe like spaghetti !

I get the souper/wolf ones so they don't get that wrecked just roughed up around the edges.., the other types are too soft for him so wouldn't risk it - it says they're only supposed to be able to break off pieces the size of a grain of rice. I have another weird Galileo one but it was too hard and he lost interest. Got 2 new nylabones on Amazon last night to replace the antler - better safe than sorry! He always leaves one end of the nylabones untouched - anyone else's dog do that?! I even gotten 3 and 4 ended ones and he does the same thing lol! :p

Advertisement