Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPad on eBay.....

• 17-04-2012 8:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all,

Sold an iPad on eBay. The buyer insists on meeting and paying cash as he needs it today Apparantly. His eBay profile is good etc, so I don't think he's going to try to scam me.

However do you know if to pay cash for something you purchased on eBay is above board and 'as per the rules' etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,330 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Its outside the rules your in no way protected. You could get mugged or it could go smoothly. Your call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Ask to meet him in the lobby of a garda station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Meet him in a public place and check the notes carefully. Have a friens waiting nearby if you want to be extra safe.
    If something's not right walk away. If he asks you to come with him to the ATM/house etc. walk away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Seeing as you're the seller and not the buyer I don't see the problem, this is generally how goods were bought and sold in the ''olden days''. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Its outside the rules your in no way protected. You could get mugged or it could go smoothly. Your call.

LOL, Like the Seller is protected when he posts it???? I don't think so.

see this..... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66587896

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sorry but what are people afraid of here?

That he'll get mugged? Don't you think there would be easier ways?

I've sold plenty of oversized items that couldn't be posted, met the buyer and he had a quick look and received cash. No problem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭siobhanoh

I sold my iPad on adverts. I was passing by Blanch where he lived so met him in one of the car parks. I had my friend with me but he was a lovely man and handed over the cash without hardly looking at it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Have sold a bunch of stuff on Adverts like this. There's no difference really. Bring a mate if you're bothered.

Not sure how the whole eBay getting their pound of flesh works, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Surely he could pay today via paypal and you could hand it over in person?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

brophs wrote: »
    Surely he could pay today via paypal and you could hand it over in person?
    This, as soon as the money is in your account just hand it over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Dades wrote: »
    Have sold a bunch of stuff on Adverts like this. There's no difference really. Bring a mate if you're bothered.

Not sure how the whole eBay getting their pound of flesh works, though.

They charge the seller for putting the ad up and also Paypal take a percentage of receipt.
    If I sell on Ebay I prefer to get cash as the Paypal fee is quite high!
    Cost to buyer is nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

biko wrote: »
    This, as soon as the money is in your account just hand it over?

I wouldn't do that, he'll have no proof of delivery and the buyer could say he never received the item.

Meet the buyer in a public place as others have suggested and do a straight swap for the cash, chances are he's just excited about his new iPad and wants it in his hand ASAP. I've done similar myself a few years ago with a mobile phone, never a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I wouldn't do that, he'll have no proof of delivery and the buyer could say he never received the item.
    True, I suppose he could just ask for a receipt from the buyer or some similar acknowledgement.

Advertisement