Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C&C Few from Paris

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    A nice set but a few things catch my eye-
    1. I like the B&W but the hotel 'thingy' above the woman distracts. You could crop but then you're losing the top of the postcard stand.

2 nice idea but the woman close to the camera is in the way and the prymaid is off center

3 nice colours

4 I like this, differnet angle

5 I'd crop out the pizza place in the right hand of the photo

6 too dark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

#1 I find this street shot just to close to the subjects, the book stall and the female.

#2 This is wrong on many fronts, I'm not against shooting into the sun but it's eradicated a lot of subject matter and the inside the shadows are not raised enough, that woman's shopping bag is also very distracting.

#3 Pretty much like the 1st, tbh they are to much like tourist snaps.

#4 I like the angle but ur PP leaves a lot to be desired, there isn't much clarity in the tower.

#5 This is basically #3 but in BW :P why did u feel the need to include both, for what it's worth I prefer the BW.

#6 I like this one....it's like old film, is it crooked though?

#7 Is this some form of HDR, it looks the most professional of the lot so far, I'd have liked the tops of the buildings on the right hand side though.

#8 It had me staring at it for ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

Thanks for the feedback.Just to pick up on a couple of points.
    #2 The pyramids are off centre from the doorway,so it was a choice between lining up the "frame" of the pyramids or the pyramids themselves. I thought lining up the doorway looked better. I did blow out a lot of detail myself with shadow & highlight detail purposefully lost. I like the PP on it and was wondering how others saw it in general.
    #4 Is a HDR also. When you say the PP is shonky. Can you be a little more specific please? I do see, that the tower itself could do with some local contrast thrown on.
    #6 was an attempt to get it looking like old film and I left it crooked intentionality. though maybe it would be best to straighten it...
    #7 Its is HDR but only 3 or 5 images
    Ive included both 5 and 3 for opinions on which treatment worked better colour/bw

thanks all :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

No 8 is my favourite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

I like no. 3 - gives a great sense of 'being there', and your composition turns what could have been a chaotic scene into one where the eye is pulled from left to right and then down the perspective, in a Z shape - it pulls me in :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

I think No 5 is the best. Not too sure about the rest. The bridge is great aswell actually.

Sorry, I've no constuctive critism, just sharing a quick opinion.

Hmmmm. I think i need to get back behind the camera more.....
    I must say though, quite taken aback that they are viewed as holiday snaps as I really was trying to avoid that. And seeing as that is the general gist of the feedback im wondering what is it specifically that has gone wrong? Is it the quality of the shot itself(subject matter,composition etc) that is bad or the pp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

It's not really the 'general gist' of the feedback - only one person mentioned that they looked a bit touristy :) I think - like all of us, you're listening more to the negatives than the positives. I like this collection of pics - 2 and 3 are my favourites, 7, I would like more if there was less fuzziness on the starburst, and more water for a bit of movement. My only issue with 2 is that the skeleton frame of the pyramid is a bit burned out and the figures could do with more exposure - another candidate for HDR, maybe?

Don't take too much notice of me - am still working it all out myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

just to point out there are very strict laws with respect to a persons image rights in France - did you experience any trouble doing your people photography over there ?

effectively people photography is not allowed (best of my knowledge - but I'm open to correction)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Corkbah wrote: »
    just to point out there are very strict laws with respect to a persons image rights in France - did you experience any trouble doing your people photography over there ?

effectively people photography is not allowed (best of my knowledge - but I'm open to correction)

I do hope that any good artist doesn't give a fiddler's fcuk to such guff though.

@Sujperf. I love your work over the last few years. Clever and clear. These aren't great at all. I'd blame Paris and that's not being light. It's a city I love but it's a city that is photographically a cold fish mostly.

They do look look like holiday snaps from a person with half your ability (which would still be twice the ability of most).

• Advertisement

Corkbah wrote: »

bugger i didnt know that at all.Never had any issue at all really.

humberklog wrote: »
    I do hope that any good artist doesn't give a fiddler's fcuk to such guff though.

@Sujperf. I love your work over the last few years. Clever and clear. These aren't great at all. I'd blame Paris and that's not being light. It's a city I love but it's a city that is photographically a cold fish mostly.

They do look look like holiday snaps from a person with half your ability (which would still be twice the ability of most).
    thanks :d too kind :D Ive not to been able to take/process as many shots at all these days and i do think my judgement is....off....i think i just need more practice.not enough hours in the day lol

Advertisement