Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going to Need a Windows Re Install?

• 17-04-2012 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Been having some trouble with viruses and I just can't seem to shift them, think I may need to give it up and Re Install Windows, dont have my CD key so want to be sure first.

Initially I was downloading and obviously got something dodgy, the browser closed and everything on my desktop dissappeared, no start menu, no task manager etc.

I got round this by booting in safe mode and doing a system restore, once I was logged back in I ran AVG and Spyware Terminator, found a few things with each.

I can use the computer ok now but I always get warnings from ST and AVG about blocked threats, ST goes off almost constantly.

Also scanning with them usually brings up the same viruses found and the same amount of them.

Tried again last night, booted in safe mode, ran Spyware Terminator, SuperSpyware Remover and Spybot S&D. All found varying amounts of inferctions, removed them.

Re-booted this morning and ST is flashing about threats again.

Also at one point lost 3/4 of what was on my desktop randomly.

Is it time for a clean re install of Windows?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If you don't have your license key (usually on a sticker on the machine) then you won't be able to perform a clean install.

Try creating a bootable USB stick using

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

Put Kaspersky rescue disc on it (plus any others that appeal). Boot from the USB and run Kaspersky. Because Windows is not running it cleans up most problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NiallFH

FSL wrote: »
    If you don't have your license key (usually on a sticker on the machine) then you won't be able to perform a clean install.

Try creating a bootable USB stick using

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

Put Kaspersky rescue disc on it (plus any others that appeal). Boot from the USB and run Kaspersky. Because Windows is not running it cleans up most problems.

I made the computer myself so I dont have a sticker with the key, I have the boxes of my parts somewhere so they key may be there, otherwise I can get a new copy of windows, I get it for free from University.

EDIT: Deleted a question, worked it out, cheers for the reply btw ^^

Re-Edit: Its asking me to browse and select your kav_rescue_10.iso, what on earth is that?

You can make a bootable USB but it needs some operating system on it.

Most of the OS's are Linux based including all the rescue disks. I have successfully used Kaspersky to clean infected PC's. The first thing it does is download the latest databases so it is always 100% up to date.

Just as an aside to anyone reading this all the infected systems had up to date anti-virus software. AV is NOT a silver bullet you also need to exercise care and common sense or you will end up with an infected PC.

You can make a bootable USB but it needs some operating system on it.

Most of the OS's are Linux based including all the rescue disks. I have successfully used Kaspersky to clean infected PC's. The first thing it does is download the latest databases so it is always 100% up to date.

Just as an aside to anyone reading this all the infected systems had up to date anti-virus software. AV is NOT a silver bullet you also need to exercise care and common sense or you will end up with an infected PC.

Got it now, im downloading the Kav_Rescue_iso now.

Got the Kaspersky Rescue Disk selected so when im home from work I'll plug this in and run it, hopefully it helps out.

Never had any bother before this, was getting ranted to down the phone while downloading whne it happened. Not paying attention to what your doing can lead to way more hassle than its worth ><

Appreciate the help

No problem hope it fixes it.

• Advertisement

No problem hope it fixes it.

No luck, it wont scan until the database's are updated and it says operation failed when you try to update them ><

Going to try the AVG version of it

Edit: AVG found quite a few things and gave the options of deleting or healing, I tried healing but it couldn't heal them all and didn't want to risk deleting incase they were system files and I broke my computer. Anyone used it before and know wether or not its safe to delete?

Or even better if anyone knows how to update Kaspersky and get it working?

Can't open those in work, guessing by the name in the first one they are for finding your CD key, tried a few programs like that before, doesn't work on my comp for some reason.

Dont think it is going to be necessary anyway, most of its not sorted, got one last thing to do and thats get my start menu icons and the stuff that dissappeared on my desktop back.

Advertisement