Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water meter charge

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Hi all, I have a water meter fitted to my house cos its a new build, however i can tell you from living abroad that there was a big scandal in both France and Germany because of water meters, the meters werent calibrated properly and people were being over charged for metering.

So when charges do come in make sure the things work properly, im sure it will be part and parcell of the whole process! but then again this is Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭insight_man

Nypd wrote: »
    Attack it with a Hurley :D

Not a bad idea. But more realistic will be when they try to charge. Just like the household tax, people just refuse to pay it. All kinds of threats will come no doubt, even cut offs. As soon as it happens the supply will be turned on again just like the last time they tried to bring in water taxes. Nothing to get too worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

rasper wrote: »
    Have it out for once and for all with the unions , start talking tough with the ecb
    And slash the welfare bill including child benefit, pensions and all the untouchables

We going to have to do it anyway

They'll be charging 60% tax before that happens, bleeding the workers dry rather than risk touching the ones getting a free ride

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭insight_man

colly10 wrote: »
    They'll be charging 60% tax before that happens, bleeding the workers dry rather than risk touching the ones getting a free ride

The ones getting a free ride are the bondholders, bankers and developers not social welfare recipients. Don't fall into the common trap set by the government trying to balme the downfall of Ireland on the poor, the vulnerable and those who can't afford anything more. We must define the problem correctly. Our national debt more than doubled following the bank bailout thats the source of the problem.

Public spending and ordinary people didn't cause this crisis it was the billionaires all around the world. Its time to stand up for ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

I contacted Paudie Coffey by email about this, and he rang me yesterday to explain the reasoning behind the charges.

He advised that the €40 is a standing charge, like your on electricity and on Gas.

So for example €40 / 6 = €6.67 per bill (on a 2 month rotation).

I advised that by him explaining was the first instance of any clarification from the government. I did however advise about how the disemination of information on this issue was poor and he did take it on board about how it could and can be done better.

But he was the only TD to come backt o me on the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

kleefarr wrote: »
    Ok, so they are going to use the money from the pension fund, but why not get the best deal available??

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/siemens-cheaper-water-meter-offer-snubbed-by-minister-hogan-3088254.html
    rasper wrote: »
    Our political masters don't do cheap. , at least not with tax payers cash
    Nypd wrote: »
    It's rediculous that this option wasn't explored.
    This gvernment doesen't want to hear about options. It wants to ram all it's ideas down everyone's throat until they choke us all. Its time to hit back. Vote no to austerity treaty

Under EU Competition Law, this offer must go through a tender and be fairly selected just like any other business or service who wishes to tender for it. That is my understanding of it anyway and it was confirmed this evening to me.

Advertisement