Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flare gun in Ireland?

Options
  • 17-04-2012 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Any one know if you can purchase a flare gun in Ireland?

Nothing special just one of the plastic ones for mountaineering & safety.

I cant seem to find any online.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

It's my understanding that flare guns in the vein of Very pistols are considered firearms here, and need all the associated licenses, but you can definitely buy red handheld flares and penjector signal flares in marine shops. I know that red flares are an international distress signal, and their use may well result in a lifeboat/MR crew being sent to look for you if you let one off.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Please be aware that parachute flares are not designed for use inland. They continue to burn when they reach the ground and are designed to be extinguished by landing in water instead.

I've never heard of a flare gun being used in mountains.

Are they used in other countries or something?

Would have thought mobile phone, spare battery, torch and whistle would be the main emergency signal tools in mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree, sounds like massive overkill to me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 paddler1974

reckon a smoke signal and torch would be enough with either a mobile phonecall or someone going for help,
    the smoke would help ground crews and air support pin pointing your location, flares will alert your in trouble but not so good for locating your position.
    And as said the fire hazard would far outway the benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

Not as dramatic as a flare, and not AS visible in daytime, but a cheap strobe like this one, along with torch, whistle and fully charged mobile should adaquately cover your bases....

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/emergency-strobe-light--beacon---iso-9001-certified-1335-p.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

a bit OTT and dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭target assassin

Thanks for the info...
    Donny5 wrote: »
    It's my understanding that flare guns in the vein of Very pistols are considered firearms here, and need all the associated licenses, but you can definitely buy red handheld flares and penjector signal flares in marine shops. I know that red flares are an international distress signal, and their use may well result in a lifeboat/MR crew being sent to look for you if you let one off.

Advertisement