Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hares are eating my trees

• 17-04-2012 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭

Is there anything I can do to stop them doing this, they are eating hardwood that were recently planted, about 2 foot high. A low electric fence has just been put around them. is there anything else I can do, any poison , or spray?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭El Kabong!

I use clear transparent spiral guards. You might need to use a bamboo cane on them if your trees are too short.

After some searching I managed to get www.thegardenshop.ie to stock the clear ones and they have good prices on canes too.

I just used 500 of both to protect/support 2 foot willow setts (1 foot in the ground).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

radiata wrote: »
    Is there anything I can do to stop them doing this, they are eating hardwood that were recently planted, about 2 foot high. A low electric fence has just been put around them. is there anything else I can do, any poison , or spray?
    Thanks

You don't want to be poisoning a hare.

Try lime sprinkled among them or try painting the trees with a lick of emultion paint. We have a nice few hares about and I don't see any sign of them at the whitethorn quicks yet. There is a low (4" off ground) electric fence on one side, maybe that is saving them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Bizzum wrote: »
    You don't want to be poisoning a hare.

Indeed - totally illegal too. Hares are classed as a game species that can only be shot in season between the 23rd of September and the end of Feb each year. I would go with the emulsion paint option myself as it worked for me when protecting whitethorn quicks I planted a few years back under REPS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

Cool thanks, I might try the emulsion. Along with the electric fence it should hopefully work. To be honest i don't really want to be poisoning hares either

• Registered Users Posts: 39 treefan

Ive used brown spiral tree guards myself and they have worked a treat (50 cents per spiral in your local nursery). Would never use poison !
    thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement