Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Math and Physics - Help Needed

• 17-04-2012 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hello everyone,

Planning to resit the leaving cert after sitting out for two years. I've heard from a few people that Honors Math and Physics have changed in their syllabus? Is this true? If so, how have they changed? I've heard the term "project maths" thrown around but cannot find any two pieces of information that agree on the matter.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Sean.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Projectmaths.ie has all the info you need in the new Maths course. It is split into 5 strands which are coming in as follows in LC
    2012 strands 1 and 2 . Affects most of paper 2
    2013 strands 1-4. Affects most of paper 1 and 2
    2014 strands 1-5. Completely new syllabus.

Not only has the content changed the structure and marking schemes have changed. There will be no choice on the new course, all topics will need to be studied. The marking scheme has change from a deductive marking scheme (losing marks for every mistake) to an attainment based marking scheme (gaining marks as you complete correct steps).

I sincerely hope that you are not planning on sitting honours Maths in two months time if you don't know about project Maths! It would be a major ask to get used to the new syllabus/type of questions in that short a time.

I can't help in physics I'm afraid! Best of luck with it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

I'm 99% certain Physics is the same. I'm doing Physics and the teacher never mentioned any changes since like 2002 or 2003 and the exam papers etc. are very consistent throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

There has been no change in Physics since about 2002. So you should be grand! Maths on the other hand is a completely new course. The first post has all the information you need regarding that! Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Sean33

Thank you all for the help. I'm planning on resitting the leaving cert next year not this year just FYI.

Thanks again!

Advertisement