Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cash for unwanted clothes €€€

• 17-04-2012 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

A new craze that seems to be sweeping the country is those pop-up shops that are offering Cash for unwanted clothes

Has anybody flogged a few bags to them & what kind of money are they paying out?
    Im guessing these companies are eastern European origin!

It must be big business if their starting to offer money for 2nd hand clothes :rolleyes:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Where's the bargain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

it's like 6 quid a kilo or something...

much prefer to give to a charity shop or pop my old stuff in one of the clothes banks

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

I also think it is better to give to your local charity shop and let them benefit from recycling or reselling the clothes, we have to think more local:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

jameshayes wrote: »

much prefer to give to a charity shop or pop my old stuff in one of the clothes banks

Recently I've seen a number of those clothes banks containers broken open. They must using a car jack or something to prise open that sliding box mechanism at the top. So not only are they robbing clothes from the Irish Cancer Society, etc they're causing hundreds of euros of damage to their equipment. The only way to be sure you're not feeding scum like that is to either bring your stuff directly to the shop, or burn it unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I dropped FIVE bags of clothes into the cheeverstown charity shop in Tallaght yesterday. Its good to know they go to a good cause and not to fund someones lifestyle. I do recall people got caught lowering kids into the charity clothes bins to pull the stuff out :eek:

Cheeverstown have a new shop in Tallaght next to Smyths toystore (plug plug dont ban me please :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

one of those shows that exposes cons did a piece a couple of years back where they sent round flyers in a neighbourhood for charity clothing collections where you leave out a bin bag of clothes with their sticker on it on a particular day to collect (i'm sure everyone has had some of those through their doors?).

they then quickly set up a 'retro' clothing store and sorted and washed everything and sold a lot of it on and made quite a bit of money doing it.

a much better idea to take stuff directly to somewhere you know it will actually benefit a proper, registered charity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

SIX PACK wrote: »
    A new craze that seems to be sweeping the country is those pop-up shops that are offering Cash for unwanted clothes

Has anybody flogged a few bags to them & what kind of money are they paying out?
    Im guessing these companies are eastern European origin!

It must be big business if their starting to offer money for 2nd hand clothes :rolleyes:

I have used Clearout.ie for a few bags of clothes. It's by weight, so if you don't think your stuff is good enough for charity shops, bring them there. If you have 3 or 4 bin-bags of stuff, it's worth your while (as long as you're not travelling out of your way to get to one of the locations!).

Note: They don't take cushions, etc.

The way I look at it, it would cost me money to dump it.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

yeh, i used clearout.ie too - they seem to have shops all over dublin.

took 4 black bags of old jumpers, tshirts, trousers, sock, jocks :) and shoes and got a grand sum of 16€

not the most amount of money but better than nothing.

tbh the clothes didnt weigh much and it was the shoes/runners that pushed the wieght up.

they take old mobiles for €3 too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

florawest wrote: »
    I also think it is better to give to your local charity shop and let them benefit from recycling or reselling the clothes, we have to think more local:)
    tubss%20n%20ed2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

jameshayes wrote: »

Its more like .80c per/kilo. Rather give it to SVP or the likes for free.

Actually looking on that clearout site its .50c p/kg for clothes and .10cp/kg for books.

Must be making some money from this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I still haven't seen what the bargain alert is..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

The bargain is for the shop owners :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement