Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions please!

Options
  • 17-04-2012 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi,

I am doing a picnic style photo shoot in Sligo in July. Can anyone recommend any picturesque spots in Sligo town or not too far out? Either a grassy park area or beach close by? Someone mentioned the peace park but I can't find any photos or directions on google. Any hidden gems you want to share?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Ghost_of_ED209

Howdy..

Streedagh beach is quite nice.. It's out by Grange.. You'd get a good view of Ben Bulben in the background too...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Over by Doorly Park, nice picnic area there overlooking the river where the car park is (rowing club had sheds there too).

The Peace Park is situated between the Catheral and the Hawks Well Theatre
    HERE, certainly nice on a sunny day.

Finally Slish Wood/Dooney Rock area (anything around the lake) is very nice again with the proviso of having good weather...... which we don't get a lot of....

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Hazelwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Glencar Waterfall is what ya need.....................great spots around the lake too.

I also second Streedagh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Hazelwood
    The car park at Rosses point beach
    Dooney rock
    Glencar
    Two special suggestions although they are difficult enough to get to
    The third beach at Rosses point
    And photo's from the top of knocknarea are nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Lissadell

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

there is a beautiful wee picnic spot ... right on the edge of Benbulbin .. bit of a walk but the view is amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Hazelwood, Doorly Park, Rosses Point. All fab places for photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Hazelwood
    The car park at Rosses point beach
    Dooney rock
    Glencar
    Two special suggestions although they are difficult enough to get to
    The third beach at Rosses point
    And photo's from the top of knocknarea are nice

How do you get to the 3rd beach?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I've thought of a great place but it might be a bit too far out for you. Aughris Head. You can walk along the top of the cliff and there is a beach there too.

5676896802_41fb472d46_z.jpg
    Aughris Head, Ireland by magnum_lady, on Flickr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

magnumlady wrote: »
    I've thought of a great place but it might be a bit too far out for you. Aughris Head. You can walk along the top of the cliff and there is a beach there too.

5676896802_41fb472d46_z.jpg
    Aughris Head, Ireland by magnum_lady, on Flickr

And a Pub ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

How do you get to the 3rd beach?

You turn up by Cregg House then turn left at the T junction (signposted "Lower Rosses"). Follow the road down about 5-7 mins (it's quite narrow so careful). Keep an eye out on the right, (just after a house with a long wooden fence & big gates I think) there's a little road down to the beach. It's brilliant for walking dogs as it's pretty much deserted.
    Just after this place... http://g.co/maps/skvkj
    This is the turnoff... http://g.co/maps/94djv

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

what about Coney Island? lovely beach there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Forgot about the Holy well lovely spot for pictures

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

There's a viewing bay at the woods on the old back road from Strandhill to Knocknarea. When you're driving towards the village, you'll see the turn on your left, opposite the entrance to Dorrins Strand housing estate, just beside the old CoI church. Continue about a mile up that road and it'll be on your right, beautiful views across town and Sligo bay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

The Fairy Glen strandhill would be lovely maybe not the best light for a photo shoot though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭skinny90

red sean wrote: »
    And a Pub ;)
    brilliant pub....i live down the road,god knows how many nights we'd walk home along the coast :D

Advertisement