Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

license plates question

• 17-04-2012 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭

i am looking for a bike to buy in the next few weeks and have been looking around, a few bikes i have seen have tiny license plates. maybe only 2 inches thick. i am just wondering does anyone know if these are ok and if the gards give any trouble because of them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

FatherLen wrote: »
    i am looking for a bike to buy in the next few weeks and have been looking around, a few bikes i have seen have tiny license plates. maybe only 2 inches thick. i am just wondering does anyone know if these are ok and if the gards give any trouble because of them.

Nope, they're not legal. There's a standard size thats detailed on the citizens information site. Anything other than the correct size and font is not allowed and to be honest you're just going to attract attention from the wrong people (Gardai) with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

yeah i figured they couldn't be legal. thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

KTRIC wrote: »
    Nope, they're not legal. There's a standard size thats detailed on the citizens information site. Anything other than the correct size and font is not allowed and to be honest you're just going to attract attention from the wrong people (Gardai) with them.

That's quite true, but at the same time, I have one about 5in x 2in and in 3 years, haven't been stopped or done. I guess you can be lucky or not.

i am not sure if i am allowed to do this but this is an example of what i mean
    Full-10937583.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

i am not sure if i am allowed to do this but this is an example of what i mean
    Full-10937583.jpeg

Yep, that's very similar to what I have, except mine is covered in muck from the roads! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

That's quite true, but at the same time, I have one about 5in x 2in and in 3 years, haven't been stopped or done. I guess you can be lucky or not.

Same as that, never had any issue with the gardai about my plates and they're definately not standard.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The small size is not legal. Quite often a blind eye is turned to them, but I know a lot of guys who were told by gardai to change them for a larger size.

Changing the plate is no biggie, most bike shops should be able to make one for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

That shouldn't be a major factor when purchasing a bike as you can get legal plates made up for you for a couple of euro that's if you don't fancy taking the chance riding around on small plates but mind you ya probably will get a spot of bother from the Garda if ya have a set of small plates. When buying the bike just make sure its mechanically spot on and has no major costly issues with it.

Good luck with finding your new bike:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I had a small-ish number plate (see below) and never once did the Gardai quizz me about it (and God knows I got stopped a few times...).

As the man in the shop said to me "it's the most leag of the illegal ones"! :P

Wouldn't have chanced anything smaller mind you...

160070.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

If you're paranoid about it don't let it stop you from buying a bike, carry the receipt on you at all times and if you get stopped just show the gardai the receipt, tell them you only bought the bike recently and are planning on getting a new number plate made up, they're generally happy with that.

We have a wall of huge number plates from all the bikes through the years (they're always the first thing to come off!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I got an illegal plate a bit bigger than Steffano's. It's the same dimensions as a legal one with the correct fonts and about a third smaller , it looks better on a bike.

Don't worry about the plate on the bike. It's easy and cheap to replace. The Gardaí usually just ask you to change it if they don't like it.

Don't forget that there are thousands of motorists driving around with illegal plates, German style plates aren't legal here. I only heard of 1 time when cops where stopping cars for filthy plates or the new one I've noticed when they jet wash off the paint.

ah no, not paranoid or anything. It wouldn't put me off getting a bike but i just wanted to know in case i was asked to change it. thanks for all the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,412 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Legal plate sizes are here

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement