Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun Question .

Options
  • 17-04-2012 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi all ,

I know that this question probably shouldn't be in the hunting forum but I was thinking it might be the best place to get the answer.

I shoot a lot of clay's and I was just wondering is there a limit on the amount of cartridges you can put through your barrels before you start to encounter some problems .

I know that firearm quality will play a part.

I have a Beretta Silver Pigeon 686E Sporting :)

Thanks lads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

I remember reading in a magazine how Baikal tested one of their semi-auto models. It fired 250,000 cartridges in 24 hours before it encountered any problem. Not including jams or mis-fires due to the cartridge itself. I would imagine Beretta to have the same standards at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Plus 1 for RA assessment.

Unless you are a competitive shooter you will more than likely not wear one out. They can be rebuilt .... maybe after 250,000 cartridges, ... for small money if need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Also, whatever about trap shooters firing light loads in heavy guns, you fire 250,000 32-36g loads from a light shotgun and you're as likely to need rebuilding as the gun! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Firearms life has increased dramatically over the years..It is not unusual for some guns to be rated 500 /750k plus over their life time and still will fire safley when fired.
    Just for a example ..Back in 1911 when Colts model of the 1911 was accepted as the US Army sidearm,its endurance test was25 /40[?] thousand rounds give or take without problems. By today standards thats a warm up,Mossberg 500 milspec pump shotgun had to spit out 500k worth of rounds before it was accepted.
    Unless you are busting loads of clays on a daily basis,I wouldnt be too worried about failure of parts on a quality gun like Beretta.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Personally I'd worry more about keeping it clean and rust free. I'd wager that rust kills more guns than usage does. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭game hunter

Sound for the replies lads

Im sure if it can take even half those rounds im never going to run into problems :)

Happy Hunting/Shooting

GH.

Advertisement