Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ceramic hob protection

• 17-04-2012 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I´ve just moved into a new rental property. Everything is brand new so there are a few things we´ve noticed that need finished etc

My girlfriend seems to think that we should request a steel rim for the ceramic hob in order to protect it against cracking if we dropped something on it.

Do all ceramic hobs generally have a steel rim? Are they really necessary?

If so would it be easy enough to put one on it given that it obviously did not come with it?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Ceramic hobs can come either Framed (usually with either black or stainless trim), or Frameless, as you have now. Frameless also seem the most common type now. I don't think a frame can be retrofitted, bar making something to suit?

Also, if you drop something on it, the frame won't help much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

In general, cheaper hobs have frames as they avoid having to do a fancy finish on the glass edges i.e. the edges have to be smoothed, rounded and polished.

Cheaper hobs would have a surface that is cut like a window pane and just dropped into a frame.

We've a frameless De Dietrich induction hob that's coming up to 15 years old and still looks new, other than a few scratches on the class itself.

I wouldn't worry about it!

Just don't drop heavy objects on any ceramic hob :D

Framless hobs are much easier to clean as you can wipe them onto the counter top too and there's no gunge stuck in the frame.

Advertisement