Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hospital stay/experince

Options
  • 17-04-2012 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi ladies
    This might sound ridiculous, but its something I've been considering and maybe others have thought about it.
    Given that most maternity hospitals aim to have you discharged within 24 hours (all going well) I'm wondering about the practicalitys.
    For example, on my last pregnancy, I had an epiduaral and wasn't allowed out of the bed for 4 or 5 hours. Then visitors arrived and I didn't get a chance to shower.
    Realsitically, is there shower facitlites for more than one person on a ward, and how likely is it you would get to use them?
    Particulalry interested in people's experience in Rotunda
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

When i was in the Rotunda in 2008 there were about three or four showers off a bathroom and about three bathrooms off a corridor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

As far as I know there's a private shower in the delivery room... I'm due soon and we were brought up to the room where the midwife said we'd be able to shower after going back to the maternity ward. She seemed to point to a bathroom but I didn't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

I was public in Holles st only a month ago and I did get to use the shower - twice. About 5 hours after he was born (I had an epi too) and then the following morning and actually again the morning before I left. It was my second baby and I was in for nearly 48 hours after delivering. I had my baby at half four on tues and left Thursday lunchtime.

Edited to say there was loads of showers - that wouldn't be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

lounakin wrote: »
    As far as I know there's a private shower in the delivery room... I'm due soon and we were brought up to the room where the midwife said we'd be able to shower after going back to the maternity ward. She seemed to point to a bathroom but I didn't see it.
    There are showrs in the delivery suite. Right down the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Meshel

I had both my two little lads in the Rotunda and had the epi on both of them :D. Yes at the very end on the delivery suite corridor there is a shower room but you cant use it after baby if you've had the epi unfortunately as you have to stay bed bound for at least 4-6 hours after for it to wear off :(. At that stage you are on postnatal ward. There are plenty of showers up there so don't worry about getting a shower there was always at least one free when I was in on both of mine. Couldn't recommend the hospital enough was very happy with both of my experiences.

• Advertisement
Advertisement