Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astec Inertia Sensor

Options
  • 17-04-2012 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi All,

I understand from previous posts from Koolkid and Altor that Astec is no longer in business and has been taken over by HKC. I'm looking to change my front door sensor from a contact sensor to an Inertia/contact sensor. Are these parts hard to come by as I've already called CONDOR SECURITY and REW and they have no stock. Does anyone know who best to contact for this part ?

Thanks in advance,

JD

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

A standard contact can be converted using 2 resistors.
    I still have some if you want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

jd6677 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I understand from previous posts from Koolkid and Altor that Astec is no longer in business and has been taken over by HKC. I'm looking to change my front door sensor from a contact sensor to an Inertia/contact sensor. Are these parts hard to come by as I've already called CONDOR SECURITY and REW and they have no stock. Does anyone know who best to contact for this part ?

Thanks in advance,

JD

That s correct jd, parts are becoming more scarce as they are not made anymore. A inertia/contact on the front door can cause a lot of false alarms.
    I also have some if you are stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭jd6677

Cheers Koolkid and Altor , I'll be in touch about the sensor.

The reason for the change in sensor is a neighbour had his house broken into recently. They went in via the front door. I was thinking of the inertia sensor as to give me some advance warning if someone was trying to get in while I was asleep upstairs.

Cheers,

JD

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

jd6677 wrote: »
    Cheers Koolkid and Altor , I'll be in touch about the sensor.

The reason for the change in sensor is a neighbour had his house broken into recently. They went in via the front door. I was thinking of the inertia sensor as to give me some advance warning if someone was trying to get in while I was asleep upstairs.

Cheers,

JD

Your welcome jd, it can be done but just be aware of false alarm from people knocking on the door plus letters coming in through the door.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

+1 .I wouldn't recommend an inertia on an external front door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

On most doors I wouldn't use an inertia but some doors have a lot of glass on the door itself and the frame so a shock is essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

I used to live beside a house in the 90's where if somebody used their door knocker while they were out, it would activate the alarm 30seconds later, this was going on for years, and they knew about it. but never got it fixed. It nearly drove everyone on the road mad..
    So i'd agree with the pros, inertia sensors on doors is a bad idea, unless you can get one that's not very sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭jd6677

On most doors I wouldn't use an inertia but some doors have a lot of glass on the door itself and the frame so a shock is essential.

Cheers Fred , thanks for that. My front door is about 40% glass.
    mark17j wrote: »
    I used to live beside a house in the 90's where if somebody used their door knocker while they were out, it would activate the alarm 30seconds later, this was going on for years, and they knew about it. but never got it fixed. It nearly drove everyone on the road mad..
    So i'd agree with the pros, inertia sensors on doors is a bad idea, unless you can get one that's not very sensitive.

I completely agree Mark. This is only something I will do if I can have someone deliver post or knock at my door without setting the alarm off. I’ll be looking at the gross attack and pulse count settings to see which is best suited for my situation and to minimise false alarms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I have one on my front door. I placed it on the oposing side to the letterbox. Never had an issue.
    It depends on the front door. If a sensor is installed or is not programmed correctly this can cause false alarms. That's why it's always important to walk test. Factory settings on most systems don't suit all environments and during the boom I fear a lot of systems were installed and left at factory settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mickplundy

I am trying to fit an extra sensor in an extension to an astec 63DV and have a Standard Inertia Sensor and Resistors, Does anyone know which way to wire them in, I cant seem to figure it out.

• Advertisement

If your using a standard sensor just wire it in series and series in the tamper as welln No extra resistors are needed unless you are adding contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mickplundy

thanks for the reply, is there anywhere I could get a drawing, im adding one extra shock with read using only 680Kohm resistors

Here is an example of series wiring.
    252212.jpg
    With a standard inertia there will be a second pair of connections for tampers just series these as if it was another device.

Advertisement