Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing a cistern?

• 17-04-2012 12:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,128 ✭✭✭✭

We have an issue with one of the toilets in our apartment. It is a visions unit for 2000 or so and has a side flusher.

The flusher is broken (the steel rod that goes from the handle to the inner workings of the toilet to pull it up to flush), stupidly i threw the broken rod away instead of keeping it to get i welded back on or something.

So, i cant seem to get a replacement flush handle, do i need a whole new toilet or can i replace the cistern, do the shapes vary wildly?

any advice for me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Most plumbing suppliers will supply the bits that you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,128 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

what bits are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭hibble

Cyrus wrote: »
    (the steel rod that goes from the handle to the inner workings of the toilet to pull it up to flush),
    any advice for me?

Save yourself some money!
    :)
    Replace the part with a piece cut to length and bent to shape from a wire coat hanger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

You can do as Cyrus says for the hook, the flush handle is availalble in the plumbing suppliers.

hibble wrote: »
    Save yourself some money!
    :)
    Replace the part with a piece cut to length and bent to shape from a wire coat hanger.

no thats not the bit unfortunately, i need the rigid bit that is attached to the handle, see the pic, unfortunately this type of flush handle seems very uncommon :(

531415ff.jpg

• Advertisement

anyone else any ideas? or advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

it looks very similar to the bar that goes into a door handle - do you have one of them lying around, you might be able to adapt it as necessary

Failing that disconnect it from the cistern and bring it to a plumbers suppliers - with a rough idea of how long it needs to be - and ask them if they have seen/have anything in stock that is similar

Advertisement