Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease on building which is currently rates free

Options
  • 17-04-2012 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I am looking for a commercial unit in the Dublin City Council area. I have found a suitable property. It is currently not liable for rates (for some reason, vacancy perhaps, it was not included in the revision made this year).

I've been told that the rates for buildings are reviewed only every 4-5 years (is that information accurate?).

So, if I were to take a 3 year lease, does that mean I would have a reasonable chance of escaping rates or is there some process that will recognise the change in use of the building and cause them to come quickly knocking with a bill?

EDIT

Or perhaps I am legally obliged to go and ask the council to charge me when I take the lease?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

They will find you eventually, I wouldnt go asking them anything about it.

If they find you in 2012 who will have to pay the whole year

If you move in in 2012 and they find you in 2013 you wont have to pay for 2012, just from 2013 onwards

Have a look at the rate valuation of other commercial properties in the area to get an idea of what you may have to pay see http://www.valoff.ie/

Advertisement