Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ceramic hob

Options
  • 17-04-2012 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I´ve just moved into a new rental property. Everything is brand new so there are a few things we´ve noticed that need finished etc

My girlfriend seems to think that we should request a steel rim for the ceramic hob in order to protect it against cracking if we dropped something on it.

Do all ceramic hobs generally have a steel rim? Are they really necessary?

If so would it be easy enough to put one on it given that it obviously did not come with it?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

Never heard of a steel rim for a ceramic hob, any of the last few I've had over the years have never had a steel rim and honestly a steel "rim" of 5 to 10mm width is going to do nothing to protect a hob if you drop something on it. Check the powercity website, basically none have it and I would imagine its a design rather than functional feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Thanks,

I was sort of thinking that myself although I would have thought a steel rim would prevent the edges chipping which could lead to big cracks eventually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭J_Wholesale

A steal rim is a good idea. The only time I ever managed to crack a ceramic hob was when I accidentally hit one the corners with a bowl - the crack went right up the middle. A steal rim would have prevented that.

It's incredibly difficult to crack a hob by dropping something on top of it - the edges are the vulnerable parts.

Advertisement