Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madra Food?

• 17-04-2012 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hey guys, Can anyone tell me what Madra is like as a dog food? I have my lab/poodle cross on Red Mills Leader Puppy Large Breed but I'm finding it hard to find any alternatives around the same price (or cheaper) that have the large kibble? He hoovers the smaller nuts so the larger ones are defo better but was wondering about whether I should keep him on it or not. There's a fair whack out of him if he lets off in the house and his poop is definitely inconsistent. God above, laughing at myself posting something up like this but I need to know!! :) Thanks for all or any advice :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

_Lady_ wrote: »
    Hey guys, Can anyone tell me what Madra is like as a dog food? I have my lab/poodle cross on Red Mills Leader Puppy Large Breed but I'm finding it hard to find any alternatives around the same price (or cheaper) that have the large kibble? He hoovers the smaller nuts so the larger ones are defo better but was wondering about whether I should keep him on it or not. There's a fair whack out of him if he lets off in the house and his poop is definitely inconsistent. God above, laughing at myself posting something up like this but I need to know!! :) Thanks for all or any advice :D

I know this an old thread but Madra is pure muck and i wouldnt feed it to any of my dogs and wouldnt recommend it to anyone either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

That thread was 3 years old so I've started a new one for you Lady

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭_Lady_

Thanks Starpants!

I'm a bit of a winger when it comes to these forum rules so thanks for setting me up!!!

Ok, so I'm happy to accept that perhaps madra may not be the best way to go, but I'd like to look into another alternative around the same price as Red mills. I think Madra is actually ridiculously cheap in comparison anyway no?)

The guys in the local petsupplies place that I go to (not sure if I'm allowed name names of petshop franchises or not) told me that there was little else that could compare to red mills leader around that price range without getting more expensive?

Would even love to figure out if there was anything else I could give him along with the food to level him out a bit or something?

He's heading for 650g of food a day now according to the feeding chart for the leader food as he's at height of growth spurt and always hungry/ready to hoover so we're trying to be careful/figure it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Have you had a look on here http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food I read a few people on here add some natural yoghurt to the food to help the farting! Worth a try. I had a look at creavens http://creavenspremium.com/ but they don't seem to do a specific large breed, you could ask them to send you a few samples to check out. I think its maxi zoo that have a range of food called select gold, from what I can remember it's not bad quality and not too expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

its TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE food

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Hi op,

What age is your dog, is he ready to move onto adult food. I use Gain big dog on mine and find it great for them. I have 5 lab's so a bag last's me a week at €35. I sometimes give them rice, tuna & pasta aswell. They all get fed twice a day.

No matter how much you feed them they will always look for more, lab's are just greedy when it comes to food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I was also going to suggest Gain. One of my friends feeds it to her lab and her collie cross and they both love the food and it's not too dear for her either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

_Lady_ wrote: »
    Thanks Starpants!

I'm a bit of a winger when it comes to these forum rules so thanks for setting me up!!!

Ok, so I'm happy to accept that perhaps madra may not be the best way to go, but I'd like to look into another alternative around the same price as Red mills. I think Madra is actually ridiculously cheap in comparison anyway no?)

The guys in the local petsupplies place that I go to (not sure if I'm allowed name names of petshop franchises or not) told me that there was little else that could compare to red mills leader around that price range without getting more expensive?

Would even love to figure out if there was anything else I could give him along with the food to level him out a bit or something?

He's heading for 650g of food a day now according to the feeding chart for the leader food as he's at height of growth spurt and always hungry/ready to hoover so we're trying to be careful/figure it out.

I have three labs: 2 are 30 kgs and 1 is 25kgs they are feed burns which I buy in 2x15 kg bags from zooplus. A 15kg bag lasts About 19 days. The cost varies depending on exchange rate and discount codes available but pay roughly €44 a bag. Doing the sums it only costs me Less than 80cents per dog per day which is good value. Which a cheaper food you may have to feed more so therefore it is a false economy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Ditto on what's been said on Gain, have my Akita on it and she loves it. Also feed her chicken, tuna, egg and some other pieces raw every other day. Works a treat with her and isn't on the expensive side at all.

I find my Gain supply from Connaught Gold, most pet shops I've been into don't stock it.

Hi guys, thanks for all the info. Will defo look into Gain anyway by the sounds of things. At the moment he's just heading for 7 months so I'll have to stay on the puppy large breed feed for a while yet as he's still growing - no? Should i gradually change him over at 12 months or wait til 18? He's about 17kg at the moment, probably a little more as I haven't weighed him in a week and a half.

I'm delighted I asked hadn't heard about gain anywhere and I've been reading up on all of the pet store websites trying to figure out best options. It's hard to believe some of them that say they only sell top quality foods when the "lovely" cheap yellow bag is gleaming out at you from in between all the 60euro scientific sacks!!! :)

• Advertisement

Hi I'm a dog groomer and also have vast experience in pet nutrition
    Another good option apart from gain if u find it hard to get ur hands on is red mills winner I know from the red mills reps that it is still an excellent quality food at a low low price a it is cooked differently it usually sells at 12-15 euro for a 15kg bag and as red mills is such a high quality u dont need to feed as much and the majority of pet stores have it hope this helps :)

Thanks a mill Jessica, I've seen that one before but didn't pay much attention to it so I'll know now for again.

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Have you had a look on here http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food I read a few people on here add some natural yoghurt to the food to help the farting! Worth a try. I had a look at creavens http://creavenspremium.com/ but they don't seem to do a specific large breed, you could ask them to send you a few samples to check out.

I had a sample of the creavens puppy food sent out to me but it's even smaller than regular nuts so he inhaled it! I'm sure it's fine and he liked it , but he likes everything so I just have to keep an eye on his coat and his "output" to make sure nothing is disagreeing with him. Thanks for the link!

Hi I'm a dog groomer and also have vast experience in pet nutrition
    Another good option apart from gain if u find it hard to get ur hands on is red mills winner I know from the red mills reps that it is still an excellent quality food at a low low price a it is cooked differently it usually sells at 12-15 euro for a 15kg bag and as red mills is such a high quality u dont need to feed as much and the majority of pet stores have it hope this helps :)

To be honest, i disagree. Winner isnt great at all. If you look at the ingredients the first ingredient is Maize, not meat so its acting as a filler so its not a great quality food really. Also, meat isnt even an ingredient, its Poultry meat meal.

Also, it says the recommended feeding guideline for a dog over 32kg is nearly 800g of food, thats far too much. I have rottweilers and feed clinivet and the recommended amount is about 500g per day. So the better the food the less you have to feed and with Winner you have to feed a lot so its really not that great....
    If you are going to feed Red Mills the Leader or Leader Supreme is the best one to feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

I feed my dog madra and she is fine on it. Her coat is very shiny and in great condition.

My vet always remarks on how good she looks as in muscle and coat.

If its not broke, don't fix it. Shes doing great so I'll keep her on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

A breeder recommended Madra to me yesterday. Never having heard of it from anyone else, is it any use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

david75 wrote: »
    A breeder recommended Madra to me yesterday. Never having heard of it from anyone else, is it any use?

Id be very concerned on the type of breeder they are if they are recommending Madra dog food....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Foxadoyle

I fed one of my dogs Madra for a while as she seemed to be off her regular food. It did not agree with her. Her poos were like pebbles and her movements changed drastically. I think it actually made her a bit constipated. Have now changed back to her original brand and all seems fine again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭amber2

Just bought a bag of this and a bag of the Value Mix Sticky Muesli, not too sure yet what its like perhaps someone else here may have used it or have some views on quality would be interested to hear. €16 for the Gold and €13 for the Muesli.

http://www.pedropetfoods.com/index.php

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/dogs/3082616

What are the ingredients on the bag? Is the first ingredient meat, or does it say Meat and Animal Derivitives? If its the latter then its not a good food.

It would concern me that there isnt a list of ingredients on their website, why havent they got them listed?
    Is 16euro for a big bag? If so then i cant imagine its great tbh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭amber2

Derivatives of everything Meat Fish & Veg, oh crap couldn't be worse i guess ...... thanks Andreac for the info will look out for that in future.

Oh thats not good at all im afraid, thats a really low quality food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

amber2 wrote: »
    Derivatives of everything Meat Fish & Veg, oh crap couldn't be worse i guess ...... thanks Andreac for the info will look out for that in future.

This link describes where derivatives come from: http://www.defra.gov.uk/food-farm/byproducts/

Worst of all it's legal in the EU. Alot of dog food manufacturers use derivatives as it's the cheapest option. Plus they don't have to identify the exact ingredients on the bag's labelling so they can use whatever 'rubbish' they have available on the day. An owner then won't know what their dog is getting.

As being said many times before in other posts, these types of dog foods seem cheap but if you can go online (for e.g. www.zooplus.co.uk) you can get high quality foods at a good price. Following the feeding guidelines, these foods will in some cases work out cheaper in the long as you feed less compared to the cheaper foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭janja

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭janja

janja wrote: »
    Forgot to say i get it from dogfooddirect

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

andreac wrote: »
    To be honest, i disagree. Winner isnt great at all. If you look at the ingredients the first ingredient is Maize, not meat so its acting as a filler so its not a great quality food really. Also, meat isnt even an ingredient, its Poultry meat meal.

I really disagree with this school of thought.

Ok, so the ingredients are not brilliant, but I've seen dogs catch and kill rabbits / birds etc. and they don't stop to leave the derivatives, At times I've barely seen skulls left.

My little girl has a low protein tolerance. All the "good" foods upset her stomach and cause her pain, farts and horrid poo.

The only food I've found which suits her is Winner.You name it, I've tried it, Select Gold, barking Heads, Natures Choice, Orijin everything.

Winner doesn't have any E-nums, she is extremely healthy, normal amounts of energy, no tummy problems, great coat etc.

Judging a food purely on this idea that "Human Grade" ingredients is the ONLY factor is insane. What suits your dog and keeps them healthy should be your only concern.

evilmonkee wrote: »

Ok, so the ingredients are not brilliant, but I've seen dogs catch and kill rabbits / birds etc. and they don't stop to leave the derivatives, At times I've barely seen skulls left.

My little girl has a low protein tolerance. All the "good" foods upset her stomach and cause her pain, farts and horrid poo.

The only food I've found which suits her is Winner.You name it, I've tried it, Select Gold, barking Heads, Natures Choice, Orijin everything.

Winner doesn't have any E-nums, she is extremely healthy, normal amounts of energy, no tummy problems, great coat etc.

Judging a food purely on this idea that "Human Grade" ingredients is the ONLY factor is insane. What suits your dog and keeps them healthy should be your only concern.

Well i disagree, i choose to feed the best quality of food i can afford and i personally wouldnt feed a food that is made up with derivitives, its a cheap way of making dog food and ive seen how it affects my dogs and i choose not to feed that to my dogs or recommend it to anyone else if they can afford better.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

andreac wrote: »
    Well i disagree, i choose to feed the best quality of food i can afford

So, just because I can afford to feed her Orijin, I should even though it doesn't agree with her?

All I'm saying is, the ingredients list is by no means the only factor in deciding what food a dog should consume.

So, just because I can afford to feed her Orijin, I should even though it doesn't agree with her?

All I'm saying is, the ingredients list is by no means the only factor in deciding what food a dog should consume.

Not at all. Not all foods agree with all dogs. Some of the so called expensive foods dont agree with my dogs and cause hot spots.

But i would try and feed the best possible as long as it agrees with the dog.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

+1 - I agree with you in every way. If a dog is healthy and the food suits I see no point in paying an exorbitant price for a so called good quality dog food. After all, its only a matter of opinion. No one has proved to me that paying extra for this food is any better for my animals.

Advertisement