Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Dept. Of Homeland Security Hacking Consoles!

• 17-04-2012 12:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭

Interesting article in the Metro Herald today...

2j0dmx5.jpg

Download a pdf of the article here

Or read here on page 12.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

livEwirE wrote: »
    Interesting article in the Metro Herald today...

2j0dmx5.jpg

Download a pdf of the article here

Or read here on page 12.

I wonder if we'll see the US Navy sitting beside Graf Chocolo getting sued...somehow I doubt it :rolleyes:

It's more like rather than exploiting the consoles, they're looking at intercepting & decrypting XBL/SEN traffic. I dunno, it sounds like typical tabloid sensationalism to me. If it in any way protects against child predators, I'm all for it. But the fact that the worlds only super-power, & largest military on the planet has invested just over a hundred grand into it...doesn't really seem like a cause for concern.

They even mentioned game/party chats on it.
    Although they did say that the terrorists use COD game chat to plan and discuss their attacks.
    :pac:

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Although they did say that the terrorists use COD game chat to plan and discuss their attacks.
    :pac:

Yeah, I'm sure they do :rolleyes:

All the money they will invest will simply *poof* when a new console comes out and they will have to invest more again.:)

All the money they will invest will simply *poof* when a new console comes out and they will have to invest more again.:)

Will it though? If all they're interested in is the traffic between consoles, surely the next Xbox for example, will use the same language to communicate with XBL as the current one does?

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Will it though? If all they're interested in is the traffic between consoles, surely the next Xbox for example, will use the same language to communicate with XBL as the current one does?

Wel MS are well known for changing codes before updates to fix security issues, chipped consoles etc.
    Especially after this came out you can be sure they will do their best to protect console users privacy, so i'm sure they will change the architecture especially on a more powerful console, on the older ones it may be as simple as changing a few lines of code on the current exploits that the US agencies are using.

Wel MS are well known for changing codes before updates to fix security issues, chipped consoles etc.
    Especially after this came out you can be sure they will do their best to protect console users privacy, so i'm sure they will change the architecture especially on a more powerful console, on the older ones it may be as simple as changing a few lines of code on the current exploits that the US agencies are using.

I don't think the US Navy is interested in exploiting individual consoles though, from the sounds of the article, they're more interested in intercepting/eavesdropping on chat traffic.

The algorithm/language for whatever chat protocols are used, may not necessarily change from one generation to the next. It's all nonsense really anyway & will have no affect on gamers.

Probably not, but there is a chance your conversations could be heard, which is a bit worrying.
    **** the US navy anyway.:D

Probably not, but there is a chance your conversations could be heard, which is a bit worrying.
    **** the US navy anyway.:D

You couldn't pay me enough money to sit & monitor Xbox Live voice traffic. If they wanna listen in, they're in for some surprise.

tumblr_m2hna5iwnf1qevfck.jpg

Of course, we'll all be safer :rolleyes:

Yeah, most of the time it will be some little scrote singing or laughing about Pwning someone in COD.:D

• Advertisement

Yeah, most of the time it will be some little scrote singing or laughing about Pwning someone in COD.:D

And the odd time that it's not that, it'll be name calling.

This toe-raggery springs to mind

Jesus christ on a biscuit!!
    :eek:
    Parenting: You're doing it wrong!!!!

Jesus christ on a biscuit!!
    :eek:
    Parenting: You're doing it wrong!!!!

As I said, they're welcome to listen in because no money would pay me to do it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

EnterNow wrote: »
    And the odd time that it's not that, it'll be name calling.

This toe-raggery springs to mind

Jesus H Christ wouldn't want to cross her :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Guarantee that one is pregnant already, with as many kids as she is years old! FFS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

What a retard. The whole trash-talking in games is retarded.

As for the initiative - I laugh at it. A measly €100,000, if anything it's just a "Sure let's see what they're at lads" effort. The main purpose seems to be intercepting party chat to determine if criminals are using the service to organise stuff but surely they could just apply pressure to Microsoft to do the monitoring itself without the expense; nothing like being lobbied by the US Government to watch a big corporation cave in.

As for the whole forensic tech might recover user data; Microsoft, fix that shít. Of course you won't, but still.

Advertisement