Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I get my deposit back?

Options
  • 17-04-2012 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

I am due to move out of the apartment I live in in 3 weeks. I have been here for nearly 3 years, never late with the rent and never any hassle with neighbours or anything like that. I've never met the landlord and deal with the estate agent who is really really good at getting things fixed asap and is the reason why I will always try and deal with an estate agent in the future when renting! As far as I'm concerned the apartment is in pretty good condition but there are a couple of small things I'd like advice on -

• I accidentally broke a glass soap dish
    • There's a small bit of glue on the front of the fridge from a magnet I glued together and put back on the fridge before it had dried
    • A plastic shelf in the fridge is missing a chunk (doesn't affect how it works) from me dropping it while I was putting it back in after washing it
    • There are countless bulbs gone. I'm a bit sick of forking out for bulbs for this place. Whoever done the wiring wants to be strangled, I must've spent hundreds of euro the last few years on expensive bulbs for the kitchen and the sitting room lamp that don't last any longer then 2 months and it would sicken me to have to replace these for the millionth time when I'm moving out
    • The walls in the sitting room and kitchen are badly in need of a painting but they hadn't been freshly painted when I moved in anyway

There's no doors hanging off, no holes in the walls and no other damage to the place that wasn't either already here (cracked tiles, stained kitchen table) or caused by not such great building work (skirting boards held with silicone falling off, damp stains on the walls and spreading accross the ceiling). Will the above items affect me getting my deposit back? Should I replace the items that I can easily replace or will the estate agent, who is new because the girl I used to always deal with is gone, look at the apartment that closely? Sorry for the long post it's just I'm counting on this money and I need to know if I might not get it back.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

no they shouldn't but if it concerns you so much it might be advisable to replace the mentioned things before you leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

bulbs gone are to be expected, also normal wear and tear on walls is allowed, as for the fridge, dont know, but my guess is, that you have been a good tenant, so i am sure they overlook small things like that,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

have you notified them of your departure date in writing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭skeptik

paky wrote: »
    have you notified them of your departure date in writing?

by email. I still have the email and all replies. I asked did they need it in writing and she said no so I presume the emails should do the trick should I run into any problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The only thing that they could possibly get sticky about would be the fridge shelf as it is the only real damage done (just replace the soap dish yourself before you move out). I would suspect though that if the place is left clean with no obvious signs of real damage then you will be perfectly okay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

It's hard to see that you subjected the fridge shelf to anything more than wear and tear. I would give your deposit back.

Advertisement