Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EU grant for bigot marches

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/orange-order-receives-900000-eu-grant-16146065.html

Because, um, it's a cultural festival or something, and certainly not an inflammatory intimidation of the local Catholic population.

Thanks, Brussels! :mad:

You wouldn't walk so funny if you threw off that mahooosive chip on your shoulder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

I'm not ranting. I'm just deeply dismayed to see anyone funding this bigot organisation, least of all the EU.
    But I suspect there may be rants ahead on this thread. To the extent that they are well-informed or not, only the denizens of AH can tell us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Would they not stick to funding roads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Festivals. Tents, beer and smelly folk. Tying a bit of something to the top of it in the hope you will find it in the mornin' :D... bring back Féile...

BIgot march? Meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Bigots aside its the haven of murders and rapists. Just ignore them and they will go away eventually.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    How exactly is it a bigot organisation? On what basis do you have to throw that accusation at them?

Their refusal to allow Catholics to join for starters. Their habit of expelling members for attending Catholic churches in any capacity, including the funerals of friends, or expelling members for marrying Catholics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

How exactly is it a bigot organisation? On what basis do you have to throw that accusation at them?

To me, it sounds like the only one being intolerable here is you.

ah now here, you are the person with no clue as to what your saying

head up to an orange lodge and see how you are treated with your Fenian accent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Can't the rest of the bigots apply for funding, or aren't they organised enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I'm not ranting. I'm just deeply dismayed to see anyone funding this bigot organisation, least of all the EU.
    But I suspect there may be rants ahead on this thread. To the extent that they are well-informed or not, only the denizens of AH can tell us.

When you say bigot do you mean Protestant or British or both?

Er, why would a catholic want to join an organisation that promotes protestantism?

What member has been expelled for attending a catholic church?

As I suspected, you haven't a clue. :)

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/local/orange_call_to_act_over_funeral_mass_1_2590672
    Just the most recent instance, from two days ago. My own grandfather was expelled for marrying a Catholic.

• Advertisement

When you say bigot do you mean Protestant or British or both?

I mean neither. I mean the bigoted Orange Order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

We are all friends now

Er,yea. They didn't get expelled...

Nice try though. You were close. :rolleyes:

I'm not in the Orange Order, never have been and never will be for what it's worth.

Not expelled YET, you mean. It's only been a few days, and there is an ongoing campaign among Free Presbyterian OO members to kick them out - http://soundofanalarm.blogspot.com/2011/04/orange-chaplain-has-called-for.html
    As for previous expulsions for attending Catholic Churches, there is no shortage of them. I suggest you go google yourself an education before you make a fool of yourself seeking to defend the Orange Order.

I've been to orange marches many times. I have spoken to plenty of orange men (and indeed know quite a few quite well). Are they all bigots? No chance. Do they hate catholics? Nope, only an idiot would argue that they do.

The orange order is probably one of the most misunderstood organisations in ireland.

There are bad eggs in it, no doubting that, but there are bad eggs in everything and that can't be used as a reason to tar them all with the same brush.

complete and utter twaddle, I just think your making this up as you go along

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ah here, if the Orange Order is not a bigoted organisation then neither is the Klan.

Are you for real? That issue happened A YEAR ago. April 2011 you muppet!
    :

oh getting a bit orange under the collar

From the Qualifications of an Orangeman according to the Grand Orange Lodge of Ireland, revised edition.
    He should strenuously oppose the fatal errors and doctrines of the Church of Rome and other Non-Reformed faiths, and scrupulously avoid countenancing (by his presence or otherwise) any act or ceremony of Roman Catholic or other non-Reformed Worship; he should, by all lawful means, resist the ascendancy, encroachments, and the extension of their power, ever abstaining from all uncharitable words, actions, or sentiments towards all those who do not practice the Reformed and Christian Faith;

The only thing that annoys me more than bigotry is idiocy. ;)

In 2011 survey of 1,500 Orangemen throughout Northern Ireland, over 60% believed that "most Catholics are IRA sympathizers"

hmm a very rational organisation there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/local/orange_call_to_act_over_funeral_mass_1_2590672
    Just the most recent instance, from two days ago. My own grandfather was expelled for marrying a Catholic.

Published on Wednesday 13 April 2011 08:54

A year and 4 days ago actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

Their refusal to allow Catholics to join for starters. Their habit of expelling members for attending Catholic churches in any capacity, including the funerals of friends, or expelling members for marrying Catholics.

I generally think your posts are the best on the site on the north so I am surprised by this post.

Its a Protestant fraternity. Its silly to suggest anyone but Protestants should be allowed join.

Also Tom Elliot attended a Catholic mass after Constable Ronan Kerr was killed and he wasn't expelled. Some hardliners complained but the organisation didn't remove him.

A lot of orange order members attend funerals these days. Particularly ones from border areas with mixed communities

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Auvers wrote: »
    In 2011 survey of 1,500 Orangemen throughout Northern Ireland, over 60% believed that "most Catholics are IRA sympathizers"

shite....someones been snitchin' on us again.

Dubhlinner wrote: »
    I generally think your posts are the best on the site on the north so I am surprised by this post.

Its a Protestant fraternity. Its silly to suggest anyone but Protestants should be allowed join.

Also Tom Elliot attended a Catholic mass after Constable Ronan Kerr was killed and he wasn't expelled. Some hardliners complained but the organisation didn't remove him.

A lot of orange order members attend funerals these days. Particularly ones from border areas with mixed communities

It is in their constitution to prohibit attendance of Catholic churches under any circumstances. Where members of the OO do so and get away with it, that's what's happpened - they've got away with it. The Order rules require them to be removed. It's a demonstrably bigoted organisation, and anyone arguing otherwise ought to remind themselves by viewing footage of any of the many anti-Catholic speeches made at 12th July parades each year, by examining the facepainting of 'Kill All Taigs' on children accompanying the marches, or indeed the Loyalist terror banners of certain flute bands which march.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Dont forget that Republicans (mostly RCs) have their own marches > http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/in-pictures-easter-rising-parade-in-belfast-16142372.html then click on more pictures, to see the nasty side of Irish Republican marches.

I just thank God there is no EU grant for them and their kind.

Dubhlinner wrote: »

yeah right, a fraternity who picks a particular religious group and enshrines it in their constitution, ah they are only poor misunderstood souls :pac:

"Constitution, Laws and Ordinances of the Loyal Orange Institution of Ireland" (1967) state, "No person who at any time has been a Roman Catholic … shall be admitted into the Institution, except after permission given by a vote of seventy five per cent of the members present founded on testimonials of good character …"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

LordSutch wrote: »
    Dont forget that Republicans (mostly RCs) have their own marches > http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/in-pictures-easter-rising-parade-in-belfast-16142372.html

Great comparison there.

What are "their kind" btw?

Dont forget that Republicans (mostly RCs) have their own marches > http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/in-pictures-easter-rising-parade-in-belfast-16142372.html

I entirely agree, as no doubt you agree it is inappropriate for the EU to grant-aid the Orange Order?

Nodin wrote: »
    Great comparison there.

What are "their kind" btw?

"Their kind" are the ones in the pictures, or those who would identify with them.

"Their kind" are the ones in the pictures, or those who would identify with them.

You're not comparing like with like. A political movement is not the same as an anti-Catholic organisation.
    But, I'm interrupting. You were about to condemn EU grant aid for the Orange Order, I believe?

hahaha I have read it all now

• Advertisement

People marching in commemoration of the 1916 rising are meant to be what, exactly? Come along now, give a clear answer - don't be shy.

You're not comparing like with like. A political movement is not the same as an anti-Catholic organisation.
    But, I'm interrupting. You were about to condemn EU grant aid for the Orange Order, I believe?

No, I think the EU aid for the Orange Order is long overdue, as it will help to drag their marches out of their narrow bigoted audience, to (trasnsform) and deliver them to a much wider cross community audience, which seems to be happening already. Just think of modern Orange Order marches as mini Notting Hill carnivals :))

People marching in commemoration of the 1916 rising are meant to be what, exactly? Come along now, give a clear answer - don't be shy.

Not my cup of tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

No, I think the EU aid for the Orange Order is long overdue, as it will help to drag their marches out of their narrow bigoted audience, to (trasnsform) and deliver them to a much wider cross community audience, which seems to be happening already. Just think of modern Orange Order marches as mini Notting Hill carnivals :))
    You are on medication right, or in a coma the past 30 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Not my cup of tea.

You are a fcuking troll.

Morlar wrote: »
    You are a fcuking troll.

No, I am not an Irish Republican.

• Advertisement

Just think of modern Orange Order marches as mini Notting Hill carnivals :))

don't really care about their ridiculous triumphalist marches, always put on a bit of tunes and closed the curtains when they marched past my house

also found it pathetic that they had to try to antagonise people on a bi annual basis with such arrogance

Orange Order = Ku Klux Klan

No, I think the EU aid for the Orange Order is long overdue,

Thanks for highlighting your own one-eyed hypocrisy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Are people seriously ignoring the fact the the right rev William meCrea. The same man who stood on a platform with the single biggest killer in the history of the troubles (king rat) The same man who lead a prayer service for Wesley Sommerville and Harris Boyle, the uvf (soliders) who slaughtered the innocent men in the miami showband was a loyal orange order member.

In closing, every single thing to this point about the orange order is bigoted.

Thanks for highlighting your own one-eyed hypocrisy.

But you left out the 2nd part of my pos in #48 which goes on to say "as it will help to drag their marches out of their narrow bigoted audience, to (trasnsform) and deliver them to a much wider cross community audience" . . .

But you left out the 2nd part of my post!

Because it isn't relevant (or true). You sought to compare historical re-enactors taking part in an Easter 1916 commemoration with the annual Orange marching intimidations. You object to one receiving grant aid, but agreed that the other should. You are therefore a bigot.

• Advertisement

Not my cup of tea.

Never says much good about the views or the poster when they can't stand over and expand on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Only if it was a Notting Hill Carnival which was organized by a white supremisist Movement.
    These are the same Orange Order that publicly celebrated the sectarian murders of innocent Catholics at the bookies on the Falls road, the same Orange Orger that celebrated the murder by arson of the Quinn children in Ballymoney!

You are therefore a bigot.

So I take it you are a Republican supporter? possibly an IRA supporter too?

Because it isn't relevant (or true). You sought to compare historical re-enactors taking part in an Easter 1916 commemoration with the annual Orange marching intimidations. You object to one receiving grant aid, but agreed that the other should. You are therefore a bigot.

....though it has to be said that the Thompson wasn't invented until 1919, so they do deserve minus points for that.

don't think it was possible to embarrass your self any further, but I have been proven wrong

Presumably he was referring to the masked man in Derry who reassured his audience that the violence, destruction and murder would continue.

That isn't my cup of tea either. Is it yours? :confused:

No, that's not who he was referring to, as thats not the rally in the article.........

Never says much good about the views or the poster when they can't stand over and expand on them.

I think you know my views by this stage you old teaser, so I am not going to get into the argument you want to have with me.

Nice try.

Auvers wrote: »
    don't think it was possible to embarrass your self any further, but I have been proven wrong

Are you related to Cavehill Red?

I think you know my views by this stage you old teaser, so I am not going to get into the argument you want to have with me.

Nice try.

O I just want you to try and be a bit more forthright.

Nope. I am neither.
    But thanks for playing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement